follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just a drain and fill for ATF change

I read the entire ATF change thread and I will likely get it done at the dealer. But is there any harm in just doing a drain and fill. Just put back what came out and call it a day. I have done this on my 04 WRX 4eat and it’s still going strong after 14 years and 126k. I also did it on an Acura TL and sold it at 197k with no tranny issues.

Sure I may not get it all out, but I could drain and fill every year as it’s pretty easy to do. No track just DD and some fun twisties.
Any thoughts?
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Well, there's a legit reason why the service manual calls out the steps. So might be a good idea to follow them.
Also, if you don't want to play dealership prices any other mechanic shop can do the same job, done right and with a lower price.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 01:45 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I read the entire ATF change thread and I will likely get it done at the dealer. But is there any harm in just doing a drain and fill. Just put back what came out and call it a day. I have done this on my 04 WRX 4eat and it’s still going strong after 14 years and 126k. I also did it on an Acura TL and sold it at 197k with no tranny issues.

Sure I may not get it all out, but I could drain and fill every year as it’s pretty easy to do. No track just DD and some fun twisties.
Any thoughts?
Oh, since you only have to do it every 60,000 miles, I figure you might as well do er up proper.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Ernest72

Yeah you guys are definitely right. I just like doing things myself, but those directions are just a bit crazy. I’ll get the dealer to do it. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah you guys are definitely right. I just like doing things myself, but those directions are just a bit crazy. I’ll get the dealer to do it. Thanks.
It's just a drain and fill x3 basically. The SST is replaced by wire or a paper clip to jump the OBD ports so you can ensure temp is within the correct range. Just do it in before driving the car since it's way easier to get up to temp then have to cool down.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From what I've read about Toyota's procedure for their automatic transmission service, at least on their V6's, their newer automatics are very picky about the fluid levels when changed out. Changing it at the correct temperature is very important, as well as using Toyotas WS ATF. The procedure is very specific and not doing it right will result in rough shifting.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
It's just a drain and fill x3 basically. The SST is replaced by wire or a paper clip to jump the OBD ports so you can ensure temp is within the correct range. Just do it in before driving the car since it's way easier to get up to temp then have to cool down.
My thought was to just do one drain and refill at ambient temperature. Replace the exact volume with ambient temp ATF and the level should be good. I would do this once a year so fluid is always good. Like I said I did it with Acuras with much success.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
My thought was to just do one drain and refill at ambient temperature. Replace the exact volume with ambient temp ATF and the level should be good. I would do this once a year so fluid is always good. Like I said I did it with Acuras with much success.
Yes, this will work fine. If you can properly measure it, your logic is sound.

I've done the procedure myself, and while yes - it requires you to stand on your head and say beetlejuice 3x, ultimately it's still an "estimation" as it is virtually impossible to get the car perfectly level - and they give you a +/- degrees you need to shoot for.

Also, a side tip - when you do it this way, only jack up the front of the car. If you have it level, you won't actually be able to put enough fluid in through the fill hole.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've never had an AT before this one so no experience. but I usually change my fluid every 18 months (30-40k miles) or so using the full procedure because my shifting becomes more rough. So I'd say just pay attention to how it feels over time at the very least

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
From what I've read about Toyota's procedure for their automatic transmission service, at least on their V6's, their newer automatics are very picky about the fluid levels when changed out. Changing it at the correct temperature is very important, as well as using Toyotas WS ATF. The procedure is very specific and not doing it right will result in rough shifting.
Any WS compatible fluid is fine. A lot of people have used Redline with success. Redline seems to last longer under abuse as well

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 06-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote