follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
PulsarBeeerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 116
Thanks: 85
Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MY17 OEM IM and Header as upgrades?

Posted by Delicious Tuning on their FB. Car MY15 with oem everything, + catback and E85 in Green. Then MY17 IM and header swapped on, with the catback and E85. Still a TQ dip, but you used to need a nice catless header for the same peak HP.



Last edited by PulsarBeeerz; 10-06-2019 at 05:25 PM.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Joveen
Senior Member
 
Joveen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Bone stock
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 250
Thanks: 207
Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,449
Thanks: 470
Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,084 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Without baseline (preferably of completely stock on same dyno, as something easier replicable/reusable as baseline on other dynos) absolute numbers in that chart means nothing. Even then there are still many variables on the table, but having some similar baseline to compare relatively to would give at least very distant rough approximated chance of somewhat evaluating gains vs something else, dynoed on other dynos. What is 200hp on one dyno, might be 100hp on other. And 8hp gain on former will be less then 5hp gain on later in terms of actual/real gains. Every dyno reads different. Some effort to make that data more meaningful/useful is must have.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
PulsarBeeerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 116
Thanks: 85
Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Without baseline (preferably of completely stock on same dyno, as something easier replicable/reusable as baseline on other dynos) absolute numbers in that chart means nothing. Even then there are still many variables on the table, but having some similar baseline to compare relatively to would give at least very distant rough approximated chance of somewhat evaluating gains vs something else, dynoed on other dynos. What is 200hp on one dyno, might be 100hp on other. And 8hp gain on former will be less then 5hp gain on later in terms of actual/real gains. Every dyno reads different. Some effort to make that data more meaningful/useful is must have.

The baseline is the green line. I should have explained it better.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,449
Thanks: 470
Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,084 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So gains look about 5% on top rpms, around 2.5% in parts of lower rpms. Not bad for catted header, but nothing out of ordinary either. Except those seemingly high numbers have chance to mislead a lot of people. I guess, if one gets good deal on someone parting out from stock MY2017 header, worth getting, but i doubt it new costing anywhere near competitive offering, even compared to aftermarket catted headers, which in turn usually cost more then catless ones, which also happen to provide more gains. If there is no good deal on such, somewhat distant pro to MY2017 header might be greater chance of it to not throw CELs with stock ecu tune, but that's about it.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 835
Thanks: 65
Thanked 349 Times in 252 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A 3% increase peak to peak. About what would be expected from this. Removing the cats would probably net an additional 3-5%
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
PulsarBeeerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 116
Thanks: 85
Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
A 3% increase peak to peak. About what would be expected from this. Removing the cats would probably net an additional 3-5%

Not going to, lie I went from a MY13 IM to an extrude honed MY17 IM and from there a HKS EL to a MY17 gutted header. It got better and better and I had to add more fuel each time to the tune. I know butt dynos are inaccurate but its decent for NA.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
solidsnake11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Drives: brz
Location: nc
Posts: 331
Thanks: 8
Thanked 214 Times in 116 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Not going to, lie I went from a MY13 IM to an extrude honed MY17 IM and from there a HKS EL to a MY17 gutted header. It got better and better and I had to add more fuel each time to the tune. I know butt dynos are inaccurate but its decent for NA.
I'm confused I always thought the maf measured the air in and the ecu calculated fuel off of the maf and iat.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
PulsarBeeerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 116
Thanks: 85
Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
I'm confused I always thought the maf measured the air in and the ecu calculated fuel off of the maf and iat.

It does but it can only compensate so far before you have to re-calibrate the MAF based off what the O2 is reading.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MY13-16 vs MY17+ AT Bluegrass Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 4 01-30-2019 09:50 PM
ATF change on MY17+ BRZ? Tristor Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 2 05-21-2018 10:03 PM
Can we have a MY17+ 86 thread? ShibusaTouge Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 7 12-09-2017 06:42 PM
WTB: MY17 Intake (UK) Kodename47 Want-To-Buy Requests 3 04-22-2017 07:29 PM
Any header to axle exhaust upgrades? ZC6BRZ Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 2 10-30-2012 10:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.