follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
mattaubel

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First steps on exhaust

Ok maybe this has been mentioned before.. But I've been looking around and almost all the YouTube videos I've been seeing have catback AND headers.

My question is is it possible to get a low aggressive exhaust sound with only a catback? I saw one video of the stock everything minus an N1 catback and I don't think the video did the car justice because in my opinion it sounded the same...

I plan on staying NA and aside from basic things like coilovers, wheels/tires, and some cosmetic stuff, I won't be doing anything crazy power wise aside from a tune so flow isn't an issue..

Any thoughts? Anyone done a catback on their stock headers before and know what I can expect?

THANKS
mattaubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:15 AM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
resonators will give you the deep tone you want. UEL headers will give you the rumble. I had a catback for a few months and then I got UEL headers. now I never want to go back since the car just sounds awesome with headers.

however, I also liked the car with just the catback. but I like it more now lol. the N1 is pretty loud though so it might not give you the deep exhaust note you're looking for since it'll sound more raspy.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I just installed the Cosworth catback. It comes with an ECU tune and Ecutek racerom features such as downshift autoblip, etc. So far I absolutely love it. It has really awakened this car. I can finally hear the exhaust note coming from the rear. Shifting is easier and I can feel more low end torque and throttle response. IMO it's one of the best sounding catbacks there are.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
AREN

Drives: Beige Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I you want to ONLY change the catback (or axleback) section and have it sound aggressive, i recommend checking out the M7 Titan, Tomei 60R or 60S and Nameless axleback with 4 inch mufflers.
AREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREN View Post
I you want to ONLY change the catback (or axleback) section and have it sound aggressive, i recommend checking out the M7 Titan, Tomei 60R or 60S and Nameless axleback with 4 inch mufflers.
I'll vote for this one .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Cat Back change the sound of the car little horsepower increase. A header will give you more rumble and horsepower with a tune.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattaubel View Post
My question is is it possible to get a low aggressive exhaust sound with only a catback?

Any thoughts? Anyone done a catback on their stock headers before and know what I can expect?

THANKS
I recommend getting the Dezod Cat-back. It's the only thing I've done to the exhaust system. It's a nice low-rumble sound. Not extremely loud but loud enough to get people's attention. Idles are marvelous.

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
My question is is it possible to get a low aggressive exhaust sound with only a catback? I saw one video of the stock everything minus an N1 catback and I don't think the video did the car justice because in my opinion it sounded the same...

Even a good axleback is sufficient to do the work and give a nice sound. Unfortunately, there aren't many good ones. As you said most of them sound like OEM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/exha...-fr-s-brz.html

Simple install, stainless steel, big tips that fill the cutouts, great sound, and no drone at highway speed. Cannot stop smiling when running up or down through the gears - best mod I've done.

They'll know something special has arrived, trust me.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok maybe this has been mentioned before.. But I've been looking around and almost all the YouTube videos I've been seeing have catback AND headers.

I plan on staying NA and aside from basic things like coilovers, wheels/tires, and some cosmetic stuff, I won't be doing anything crazy power wise aside from a tune so flow isn't an issue..

THANKS
I got a Perrin 2.5 resonated catback exhaust with stock header. It's a lil louder than stock, good low rumble to it. It's loud when you want it to be at acceleration. No drone and you won't make your neighbors mad at you. I believe 86speed.com has a sale on it at the moment!.

http://www.86speed.com/performance/p...-back-exhaust/

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a handful of videos of my exhaust setup piece by piece on my build thread. You can click it I. My signature and check it out. I heard it recently outside, my buddy drive my car and it sounds monstrous. Had me cringing, lol.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
mcbrawr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My GReddy EVO3 sounded amazing with the stock header -- without it's a little loud for my tastes. I'm selling it if you're interested
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

THANKS
Check out the MXP SP Exhaust, i have it on my car now. I'm in SOCAL so if you wanna hear it just lemme know
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote