follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #29
JackRabbit

Drives: '19 Toyota 86, MT, Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just want to vent a little...for the second time in the last 2 weeks, I accidentally slipped the clutch at high RPM and smelled burnt clutch for a few minutes after that. I'm getting better at shifting every day, but I still frequently make bad shifts where I jerk the car/rubber band it at low speeds. I'm getting better at getting the car rolling with minimal clutch, and changing gears with almost no slipping, but I still screw up like 1 out of 5 shifts and jerk the car around. The pedals are so sensitive! I'm at 1200 miles on the ODO now btw.

It REALLY bugs me that I finally bought a car I love, and I'm trying my absolute hardest to treat the drivetrain nicely, but I'm accidentally being hard on it. If I don't burn my clutch anymore (hopefully), and I get consistent at shifting cleanly soon, do you think I've harmed my drivetrain? I keep imagining that all this bad shifting is creating more free play in the drivetrain, which would in turn cause more wear and tear over time. Could that be happening, or is the drivetrain a lot tougher than I'm imagining? And would it be a normal thing to ask the dealer at my 3750-mile first maintenance to check out the drivetrain for wear and tear? and maybe the clutch since I burned it a few times.
JackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
Just want to vent a little...for the second time in the last 2 weeks, I accidentally slipped the clutch at high RPM and smelled burnt clutch for a few minutes after that. I'm getting better at shifting every day, but I still frequently make bad shifts where I jerk the car/rubber band it at low speeds. I'm getting better at getting the car rolling with minimal clutch, and changing gears with almost no slipping, but I still screw up like 1 out of 5 shifts and jerk the car around. The pedals are so sensitive! I'm at 1200 miles on the ODO now btw.

It REALLY bugs me that I finally bought a car I love, and I'm trying my absolute hardest to treat the drivetrain nicely, but I'm accidentally being hard on it. If I don't burn my clutch anymore (hopefully), and I get consistent at shifting cleanly soon, do you think I've harmed my drivetrain? I keep imagining that all this bad shifting is creating more free play in the drivetrain, which would in turn cause more wear and tear over time. Could that be happening, or is the drivetrain a lot tougher than I'm imagining? And would it be a normal thing to ask the dealer at my 3750-mile first maintenance to check out the drivetrain for wear and tear? and maybe the clutch since I burned it a few times.
It is fine. They can take way more than people give it credit for.
JackRabbit (08-27-2019), soundman98 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #31
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

First of all, is this your first manual car? If so, yeah you're gonna put some unnecessary wear and tear on the tranny, but the clutch is gonna take the brunt of the abuse. Change it when it dies and move on. Don't over think it, the car is fine.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
JackRabbit (08-27-2019), JesseG (09-12-2019), soundman98 (08-27-2019), Tcoat (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #32
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
drive it harder. you're attempting to drive it nicely, without developing the understanding of where the engagement point or limit is. chirp 2nd a few times, and it becomes easier to know where the clutch engagement point is to drive it nicely.
JackRabbit (08-27-2019), JesseG (09-12-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 AM   #33
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure you get a lot of worrywarts on here seeking validation their car is ok, so thanks for humoring me on this one. I just got a new 2019 86 MT last week with 30 miles on it, and now it has 750. I'm trying my best to be careful and precise with shifting, but I'm not sure of some things:

1) The shift lever feels inconsistent. I never have problems getting into gear. But for example, on the way from neutral to 1st, sometimes the lever slips perfectly into gear with no bumps, and sometimes I feel an extra bump/click on the way, kind of like a stutter.

2) When shifting from 1st to 2nd, should I move the lever back to middle/neurtal on the way to 2nd, or just pull the lever straight down from 1 to 2? Same question with 5-6. I've been going back to neutral between every gear so far, but not double clutching it.

3) after 750 miles, I feel like shifting and clutching are making more noises than when I first got the car, but it could all be in my head. Would it be worth it to take it into the dealer for an inspection at this mileage?

I've never owned a new vehicle before, just a hand-me-down corolla and a bunch of used motorcycles, so I've never experienced break-in worries and paranoia that things are getting noisier/clunkier over time. I just want to enjoy the damn thing!! lol. Thanks for the help.

Jack
Hi Jack,

I had exactly the same issue as yours when I first got my brand-new BRZ back in 2017. It worried me so much that I was starting to find faults with it every time I drove the car and it just made my driving experience worse.

My gear box is just getting smoother and smoother as the mileage increases. At around 10K miles, the shifting action of my gear box was noticeably smoother and it just continue to improve the more I drive it. I am now enjoy shifting gear so much that sometimes I change the gear without n My advice is just drive your car normally, do not overly cautious during the shifting. You need to be quick and decisive during shift, but not forcing/slamming it into gears. Just keep your shift action smooth. Don't have to stop at neutral, just drag the stick pass it to the next gear normally. You will shift smoother if you listen to the engine rev and imagine the next gear will sound like. For the upshift, don't let the rev drop to much as the next gear will be out of sync and it will be difficult to get in. Get the trans to fully warmed-up before driving it hard to prevent premature wear of the synchromesh. Rev-match downshifting will ease the work of the synchromesh.

Learn how to feel the synchro does its job during the shifting. You'll feel it catches the next gear during your movement. If you shift properly, the resistance will be minimal and it will feel like the shift stick is sucked into the next gear (rifle bolt action some people says). The issues you have is because the synchro is not yet fully bedded-in. The synchro will be bedded-in as the mileage increase and it will do its job better and better. Your issue will be resolved, proper driven miles will help.

Last edited by Spec C Wannabe; 09-09-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spec C Wannabe For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-12-2019), Tcoat (09-09-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkl3B3rg View Post
I have a 19’ 86 that just hit 2k. I too notice a lil bit of “notchy-ness” when going from neutral to first. Its smooth most of the time but has its notchy moments here and there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t worry, the notchiness will never go away entirely. It’s a little reminder this car is focused on one thing, driver feedback. Good and bad.
One thing I learned with my early WRX, Subaru uses very precise manual transmissions, but you have to use some finesse. The number of ruined transmissions early on was crazy, but I never had a problem except for a replaced synchro under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Dinkl3B3rg (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #35
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
drive it harder. you're attempting to drive it nicely, without developing the understanding of where the engagement point or limit is. chirp 2nd a few times, and it becomes easier to know where the clutch engagement point is to drive it nicely.

I disagree, if he is having issues being consistently smooth with clean shifts, he has to slow down and not try and be mr racer, you gotta walk before you jog, then move to running. Once you almost never mess up a shift, slowly start testing you limits but not before your ready. That way you don't hurt your drive train and you will slowly get faster without even trying and before your know it you will be slamming though gears like a badass.

Don't be over confident, be cautious and you will get faster naturally.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I disagree, if he is having issues being consistently smooth with clean shifts, he has to slow down and not try and be mr racer, you gotta walk before you jog, then move to running. Once you almost never mess up a shift, slowly start testing you limits but not before your ready. That way you don't hurt your drive train and you will slowly get faster without even trying and before your know it you will be slamming though gears like a badass.

Don't be over confident, be cautious and you will get faster naturally.
slipping the clutch, while worrying about slipping the clutch is just a way to grow grey hairs.

Tags
2019, noise, shifting