follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

View Poll Results: What Headlights should I get/better?
Winjet JDM (Black) + 8K HID Kit 8 72.73%
Spec-D Boomerang (Glossy Black) + 10,000L RTX HID Kit 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
FewTooManyBeers

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Headlight Question Spec-D vs Winjet

So I'm looking to upgrade Taillights and Headlights on my 15 FRS. For most part for the Taillights I will be going with Valenti Sequential Red (Red Edition). Since there aren't that many Taillight options. It's either BuddyClub or Valenti's

Now for the Headlights I found 2 brands/models of Headlights, however I don't know much about Spec-D Pros/Cons or Winjet Pros/Cons when it comes to Headlight department.

Setup #1: Winjet JDM (Black) + 8K HID Kit

Setup #2: Spec-D Gloss Black Boomerang + 10K L RTX HID Kit

Any suggestions which setup to run. From my understanding Setup #2 has more "options?" regarding the way you wire the lights.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by FewTooManyBeers; 07-21-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added vehicle
FewTooManyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Cothman4Life

Drives: 2016 VW Golf, 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FewTooManyBeers View Post
So I'm looking to upgrade my Taillights and Headlights. For most part for the Taillights I will be going with Valenti Sequential Red (Red Edition). Since there aren't that many Taillight options. It's either BuddyClub or Valenti's

Now for the Headlights I found 2 brands/models of Headlights, however I don't know much about Spec-D Pros/Cons or Winjet Pros/Cons when it comes to Headlight department.

Setup #1: Winjet JDM (Black) + 8K HID Kit

Setup #2: Spec-D Gloss Black Boomerang + 10K L RTX HID Kit

Any suggestions which setup to run. From my understanding Setup #2 has more "options?" regarding the way you wire the lights.

Thank you in advance.
What car do you currently own? Frs/BRZ/86 ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Cothman4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
FewTooManyBeers

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothman4Life View Post
What car do you currently own? Frs/BRZ/86 ?

Updated question. I got a 2015 FRS but all in all it's a same car, no?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
Cothman4Life

Quote:
Updated question. I got a 2015 FRS but all in all it's a same car, no?
Surprisingly not. As we speak I'm soldering in wire from the OEM plug into the spec D plug for them to fit on my 2017 Toyota 86, the spec d headlights are a plug in play with the frs but NOT the brz or the 86 so you will be fine with your frs! I wanted to make sure what model you had before you made the same mistake as me if you had an 86 and it wasn't plug and play.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
FewTooManyBeers

Garage
Quote:
Surprisingly not. As we speak I'm soldering in wire from the OEM plug into the spec D plug for them to fit on my 2017 Toyota 86, the spec d headlights are a plug in play with the frs but NOT the brz or the 86 so you will be fine with your frs! I wanted to make sure what model you had before you made the same mistake as me if you had an 86 and it wasn't plug and play.

Hmm, that's beyond odd. I mean it's the same car, with same motor. the 2017 however do have newer headlights then the older generation. The Spec-D I mention in the post said to fit 2013+ FRS so till 2016 when I believe Scion died out.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Cothman4Life

Quote:
Hmm, that's beyond odd. I mean it's the same car, with same motor. the 2017 however do have newer headlights then the older generation. The Spec-D I mention in the post said to fit 2013+ FRS so till 2016 when I believe Scion died out.
Yes so the spec d will plug and play with your car and can have the boomerang wired the way you would like. And for your original question on my red 86 I'm running the red edition valentis and gloss black spec d and they look amazing. If you don't get HID for the spec d it'll be a blueish tint boomerang with a white light.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
FewTooManyBeers

Garage
Quote:
Yes so the spec d will plug and play with your car and can have the boomerang wired the way you would like. And for your original question on my red 86 I'm running the red edition valentis and gloss black spec d and they look amazing. If you don't get HID for the spec d it'll be a blueish tint boomerang with a white light.

So Spec-D's or Winjet? If I was going with Spec-D I would get the 10K L (Bluish Purple light). Plus I would get this done by a shop, I sadly don't have any tools and I'm also colour blind (YBR) so working with wires isn't recommended.

Quote:
They are both considered cheap aftermarket headlights with time the UV will eat up the outer clear coat on both but in terms of performance the Spec-D's are probably the worst thing out there unless retrofitted with the Winjets being better but not OEM quality
- Someone else's opinion on Spec-D's
Old 07-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
Cothman4Life

Quote:
So Spec-D's or Winjet? If I was going with Spec-D I would get the 10K L (Bluish Purple light). Plus I would get this done by a shop, I sadly don't have any tools and I'm also colour blind (YBR) so working with wires isn't recommended.

- Someone else's opinion on Spec-D's
I really like the spec d lights. You can protect it from the UV by just putting waxes on top on the housing to protect it.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
FewTooManyBeers

Garage
Quote:
I really like the spec d lights. You can protect it from the UV by just putting waxes on top on the housing to protect it.

I mean everyone has there own Opinion, regarding anything in life. I seen a handful of people use SPEC-D's so thats why I also considered Winjet's to be a bit different.

Ultimately I could save myself around $400 CAD and just get something like Morimoto Bi-Xenon HID conversation Kit 5.5K. I can just have a shop (smoke) the headlights a bit and swap stock crap to HID. Not as fancy as a full headlight ASSY but it is what it is LOL.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I mean everyone has there own Opinion, regarding anything in life. I seen a handful of people use SPEC-D's so thats why I also considered Winjet's to be a bit different.

Ultimately I could save myself around $400 CAD and just get something like Morimoto Bi-Xenon HID conversation Kit 5.5K. I can just have a shop (smoke) the headlights a bit and swap stock crap to HID. Not as fancy as a full headlight ASSY but it is what it is LOL.

I can personally vouch for the winjets but not with a 8k HID, 5000k is what I used to match it as best as possible with the LED DRLS.

Do you actually want those 8000k and 10000k colors?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
FewTooManyBeers

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I can personally vouch for the winjets but not with a 8k HID, 5000k is what I used to match it as best as possible with the LED DRLS.

Do you actually want those 8000k and 10000k colors?
I never owned a car with HID's, the 2 vehicles I owned in my lifetime (that includes the FRS) are all Halogens. Personally I don't know what 8K would be compared to 5K. I can assume the 10K based on the description are the Blue/Purple lights I see on cars from time to time, and I guess it looks nice, however practicality wise... who knows?

One big bummer to be quite honest with you is the lack of Fog lights, my 1st car had them and it made a world of difference because they actually shine down low.

With that said whats your opinion on the Winjets? Also, I can't purchase 5K from FT86 Motorsports (Canadian dealer who buys from FT86SF...???) they only sell 3K, 4.3K, 6K and 8K
Old 07-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I never owned a car with HID's, the 2 vehicles I owned in my lifetime (that includes the FRS) are all Halogens. Personally I don't know what 8K would be compared to 5K. I can assume the 10K based on the description are the Blue/Purple lights I see on cars from time to time, and I guess it looks nice, however practicality wise... who knows?

One big bummer to be quite honest with you is the lack of Fog lights, my 1st car had them and it made a world of difference because they actually shine down low.

With that said whats your opinion on the Winjets? Also, I can't purchase 5K from FT86 Motorsports (Canadian dealer who buys from FT86SF...???) they only sell 3K, 4.3K, 6K and 8K

I HIGHLY suggest you see the colors in person on some cars at a car meet or the like imho 4500k-6000k is where you want to stay in the color range. Anything outside of that seems oddly colored and slightly ricey. My Friend has 6000ks on his winjets and they also look nice. I personally like an OEM look and having the colors match, especially when my car has essentially a full exterior led conversion and the colors of the LEDS at 5000k-6000k.

As for it's build quality they fit perfectly and are plug and play, it uses a simple H7 bulb, so any h7 HID kit will fit. Its best to install the HID kit when the headlights are out of the car, its way way easier to install in fact. Also either get extra 3m VHB or some short length self tapping screws and you can mount the HID ballasts right to the back of the headlight.

Long term though occasionally after a very humid and rainy day they may get some condensation but it goes away like most aftermarket headlights once the headlights are on. In the future I plan to do a D2S retrofit and redo the sealant anyway so that won't be an issue, plus I've owned them for at least 3 years now. Also with HIDs in these housings you have to be super sure to aim them properly to not blind people, I used a simple aiming technique using a wall and tape, a simple method I found on the internet

Here are what they look like on my car with the 5ks from diode dynamics, it's from way back when i mounted the ballasts in an odd position:

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
FewTooManyBeers (08-01-2018)

Tags
frs headlights, headlights, spec-d frs headlights, winjet headlights