follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY: Reupholster Door Handle Trim

I started by removing the door handle trim per:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26550

Special thanks to Skorov for that mini tutorial.

Here are the supplies I used:
-Vinyl of your choice, I suggest using a thinner vinyl fabric if possible (Will discuss later)
-Double sided tape
-Adhesive Spray (Used Scotch Super 77)

Apply double sided tape to back of trim piece. I put a piece between every rib and anywhere I thought the fabric may need some support.

Cut a rectangular piece of vinyl (approximately 6"x12"). Remove a small notch at the top of the rectangular piece for the tab at the top of the trim piece.

Then use the adhesive spray on the fabric and roll it onto the trim piece. Line up the notch in the fabric with the notch on the trim piece. Stretch the fabric over the piece as necessary.

Cut around the trim piece, leave about .5" of fabric around all edges.

Trim fabric at bottom end so that the plastic clip at the bottom is not covered.

Now fold the edges over so that it sticks to the double sided tape you put down earlier.

Final result should look something like this:

Installed on car. Pay special attention to how the fabric looks on install. You can fold any corner under the piece so it looks good. Also pay attention to clips on door when reinstalling. Do NOT use a piece of metal to push in corners that may be sticking out. I did this and ripped the vinyl and ended up redoing it. If a corner is not tucked in, simply remove the piece, tuck it in, and then put it back on:

Special notes:

With the added thickness of the fabric on the underside, installing the trim back onto the door is a bit on the difficult side. It also does not snap into place the same way or secure nearly as firmly. Since this trim piece isn't actually being pulled on when opening and shutting the door, I think that it is attached securely enough to not be an issue. If you use a thinner piece of fabric/vinyl, I think you will have less issues. The fabric I used was pretty typical vinyl thickness, so not sure what is really available that is thinner.

Buy extra of whatever fabric you end up getting. The fabric material itself was only like $2. I have enough fabric left over for 6 more retries (already did 4 till I got something I was happy with. First time would have been fine, but wanted to experiment a bit).

Will report back any issues I have. I plan on letting it sit for a while in the texas sun to see if it needs to be redone with a different fabric.

If you don't like the results, the double sided tape can be taken off and the adhesive spray removed with goo-gone or something similar.

I'm not responsible for any broken trim pieces. Pulling the trim off of the door was the worst part (tends to creak a little and flex a bit).

Last edited by kodyo; 08-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
DrDuquette (09-06-2013), GaN-MaN (09-06-2013), mikeTee (08-12-2013), nalc (08-13-2013), SkAsphalt (09-04-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
mikeTee
Yup.

Drives: MT Subaru BRZ '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Pretty slick, I like it. Makes me wonder what other materials and colors are possible.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
kodyo

I debated doing something crazier with a thinner fabric, but chose the vinyl to match the steering wheel/rubber piece instead. If you use a thinner cotton or something, it will probably snap back on the door much easier.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
rebelyell22

Drives: 2012 jeep wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What about red?
rebelyell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
SACHMO

Drives: black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That looks great!

I love this type of DIY. Is there a reason you didn't use upholstery glue?

Has anyone tried with thinner material?
SACHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Looking real good man
sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACHMO View Post
That looks great!

I love this type of DIY. Is there a reason you didn't use upholstery glue?

Has anyone tried with thinner material?
Yes, because I did not know what that was until just now, haha.

Any benefits to using that type of glue? If I have any future issues, I may redo with that type of glue if the adhesive proves to be an issue.

Tags
door, trim, upholster, upholstery