follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #57
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Exact wording for the Street Touring rules.
Attached Images

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #58
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCanuck View Post
serious? ordered mine from FT86speedfactory back in December and haven't heard from them since. They were suppose to be mailed in Feb.
We're being told June last we asked. Shoot us an email, we can always cancel and refund. These have been missing since Feb of 2014 so it's one heck of a back order.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #59
FRSCanuck

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
We're being told June last we asked. Shoot us an email, we can always cancel and refund. These have been missing since Feb of 2014 so it's one heck of a back order.
e-mail sent!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #60
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've spoken with Jeremy, we will look into a poly in-board mount for those autocrossing. No guarantees, but we will look into it!

Onto bump load testing. We will be subjecting it to the force from a 4.5g bump condition. This will hopefully happen Friday and we will have enough data from there to pull the trigger on production.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (03-23-2015), FT-86 SpeedFactory (03-18-2015), Mad_Mike (03-18-2015), Takumi788 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #61
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEric6 View Post
Onto bump load testing. We will be subjecting it to the force from a 4.5g bump condition. This will hopefully happen Friday and we will have enough data from there to pull the trigger on production.

Thanks,
Eric
Hi Eric!

Are you guys following an established test standard?

My department performs validation testing for interior and door components. Slightly different from your hardware (sprung vs unsprung)... but if you want to compare notes about equipment, methods, etc feel free to PM me.

Static loads (tensile and bending) will go along ways for proving the accuracy of your FEA and comparing with the OE parts. Dynamic testing for unsprung masses is usually a drop test (to prevent quality control issues during installation), a couple shock tests (pothole and collision events), and vibration (both high and low frequency content for unsprung masses).

Good to see someone actually testing their products, and putting it all out there. If the pre-order sales are any indication, our community really appreciates this type of work!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #62
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Hi Eric!

Are you guys following an established test standard?

My department performs validation testing for interior and door components. Slightly different from your hardware (sprung vs unsprung)... but if you want to compare notes about equipment, methods, etc feel free to PM me.

Static loads (tensile and bending) will go along ways for proving the accuracy of your FEA and comparing with the OE parts. Dynamic testing for unsprung masses is usually a drop test (to prevent quality control issues during installation), a couple shock tests (pothole and collision events), and vibration (both high and low frequency content for unsprung masses).

Good to see someone actually testing their products, and putting it all out there. If the pre-order sales are any indication, our community really appreciates this type of work!
We aren't suspension engineers for OEMs, so we aren't following any established standard that we know about, but it may be something close to what is out there? We created our own test standard that we feel is indicative of the life of the LCA (in race conditions).

Thanks for the compliments. Feel free to PM any thoughts on anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Shankenstein (03-19-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:40 AM   #63
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is so exciting, I salute the dedication to help realise the maximum potential of the Toybaru.

The OEM LCA is reasonably light, but strength is lacking.

Some after-market offering is much stronger, but also heavier. That would be a trade-off between greater unsprung weight and greater strength, not necessarily an absolute improvement.

A stronger LCA at the same weight would be an improvement. But if the weight is lower AND the strength is also higher, then it is an all-round improvement.

I am very interested and will watch this closely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoniyama For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #64
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Please, please, please do fatigue testing in bending under bump loads. I have personal experience with rod end shanks failing in the threads at the top of the jam nut under remarkably low cyclic loads.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #65
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus1 View Post
Please, please, please do fatigue testing in bending under bump loads. I have personal experience with rod end shanks failing in the threads at the top of the jam nut under remarkably low cyclic loads.
That is one of our tests. At what kind of load though? Ours will fail eventually (all aluminum does), but like I said previously, at the loads we're testing, only a small percentage of people will even be able to subject the parts to the loads we are testing at (2-3%). Do you have a thread of pictures of the failed rod end?

We will update the thread when the tests are finished .

Last edited by VerusEric; 03-20-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #66
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That is one of our tests. At what kind of load though? Ours will fail eventually (all aluminum does), but like I said previously, at the loads we're testing, only a small percentage of people will even be able to subject the parts to the loads we are testing at (2-3%). Do you have a thread of pictures of the failed rod end?

Male threads in bending can fail in fatigue at loads far below their static strength. Even the rolled threads on high quality rod ends act as a stress concentration factor. I don't have pics but just Google "thread bending fatigue cracks". Figuring out load spectra for fatigue testing is a science in itself and i have no relevant experience in automotive. A quick Google search shows some useful looking texts on the subject, though. All I can suggest is to keep very large safety margins on the threads. You can go nuts optimizing the arm itself.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #67
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Those 2-3% who DO subject the loads you are testing are the ones who will be upset if a part fails...
Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #68
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Those 2-3% who DO subject the loads you are testing are the ones who will be upset if a part fails...
This is exactly why we are doing what we are doing . It's not a publicity stunt, we want to ensure the parts are up to the job, even at the reduced weight.

Also, we aren't going to falsify our results or skew figures in our favor. That wouldn't be wise for any party involved. We truly have positive intentions by doing all of these tests.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #69
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I've spoken with Jeremy, we will look into a poly in-board mount for those autocrossing. No guarantees, but we will look into it!
Whelp, my Whiteline LCA order has been cancelled, so if you guys end up with a poly bushing option, consider me sold.

For those wondering what's going on with them, I had my shop contact Whiteline North America and basically they're redeveloping the LCA for the twins, since the KTA139s were actually 08+ STI arms that happened to fit our cars. Not sure what they're changing in the design exactly, but they're targeting a July/August release which will be too late in the season for me.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #70
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbye View Post
Whelp, my Whiteline LCA order has been cancelled, so if you guys end up with a poly bushing option, consider me sold.

For those wondering what's going on with them, I had my shop contact Whiteline North America and basically they're redeveloping the LCA for the twins, since the KTA139s were actually 08+ STI arms that happened to fit our cars. Not sure what they're changing in the design exactly, but they're targeting a July/August release which will be too late in the season for me.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.
I dont get it - did the KTA139's not work well? why would they spend money on redevelopment and lose sales if the product worked as intended and by all accounts worked very well relative to competition?

Closed Thread