follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #1023
dpottruff

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Red)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFR-s View Post
Who would be interested in a drive this weekend then? @dpottruff can you post a route that you were talking about?
Here is the route i was talking about, i'm actually heading there today if anyone wants to come! message my cell phone 519 835 5936 http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...-_369b5e1.html
dpottruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #1024
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Kitchener here. I got a question for you guys... where are you guys pumping gas? What gas outlets are ethanol free? Anybody got chirping issues?

I just picked up my Ultramarine this past Saturday and am loving it! I'm still on the dealership gas as I only a bit over 200kms and am still breaking in the car. I would love know that stations to pump at and which ones to avoid.

My MR2 only uses ultra 94 from Petro Canada. I think it contains up to 10% ethanol though. But the car seems to love it. But in actuality, there's no else I know of that sells anything higher than 91; and my gen3 3sgte was slated from the factory to use only 93-94.

Ultra 94 is bad for our cars, yes? The owners manual for the frs did state to stay away from ethanol. So I want to keep with that theme.

Help?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #1025
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Kitchener here. I got a question for you guys... where are you guys pumping gas? What gas outlets are ethanol free? Anybody got chirping issues?

I just picked up my Ultramarine this past Saturday and am loving it! I'm still on the dealership gas as I only a bit over 200kms and am still breaking in the car. I would love know that stations to pump at and which ones to avoid.

My MR2 only uses ultra 94 from Petro Canada. I think it contains up to 10% ethanol though. But the car seems to love it. But in actuality, there's no else I know of that sells anything higher than 91; and my gen3 3sgte was slated from the factory to use only 93-94.

Ultra 94 is bad for our cars, yes? The owners manual for the frs did state to stay away from ethanol. So I want to keep with that theme.

Help?
There have been mixed opinions if one should avoid ethanol gas. I am no Scientist, but, all I know is that my crickets went away, the moment I switched to non-ethanol gas. Unfortunately, you are then relegated to 91 octane premium, but, that is acceptable according to the owners manual. I usually alternate between Esso, Shell, and Canadian Tire. All of these brands are ethanol free in their premium level gas.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #1026
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
There have been mixed opinions if one should avoid ethanol gas. I am no Scientist, but, all I know is that my crickets went away, the moment I switched to non-ethanol gas. Unfortunately, you are then relegated to 91 octane premium, but, that is acceptable according to the owners manual. I usually alternate between Esso, Shell, and Canadian Tire. All of these brands are ethanol free in their premium level gas.
So true. There are just too many varying experiences regarding this issue.

What kills it for me is how the Amercans, some, are going straight e85 with a tune. Now if the cricket sound is related to the ethanol content in our gasoline, then those guys using e85 as their primary source of fuel would have an engine bay sound like 10000 armies of crickets would it not?

My car is brand new. Nothing to report as of yet. Hopefully nothing to report ever. However, I did get a weird noise with the engine when I got off the 401 for a split second. Sounded like what would be a chatty clutch. Weird...

I bought this car for I have trusted Toyota's track record for reliability. It better take me to a million miles!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #1027
Demandred7

Quote:
So true. There are just too many varying experiences regarding this issue.

What kills it for me is how the Amercans, some, are going straight e85 with a tune. Now if the cricket sound is related to the ethanol content in our gasoline, then those guys using e85 as their primary source of fuel would have an engine bay sound like 10000 armies of crickets would it not?

My car is brand new. Nothing to report as of yet. Hopefully nothing to report ever. However, I did get a weird noise with the engine when I got off the 401 for a split second. Sounded like what would be a chatty clutch. Weird...

I bought this car for I have trusted Toyota's track record for reliability. It better take me to a million miles!
Weird. As long as it isn't a misfire, a few people have had issues with direct injector seals failing. When in doubt, bring it in. That is what the warranty is for. I've only had the idle dip as my only weirdness (no stalling though).
Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #1028
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
Weird. As long as it isn't a misfire, a few people have had issues with direct injector seals failing. When in doubt, bring it in. That is what the warranty is for. I've only had the idle dip as my only weirdness (no stalling though).
We'll see how she goes. I've only had the car for like 39 hours lol. With all the chat across the message board regarding more issues I can count on one hand, I'm starting to worry whether I made the right decision in getting this car. But who's to say this ft86club reflects ALL the cars as a whole. Hopefully this is just a very small percentage which is to be expected with any sort of car.

My car has a build date of May 2013. Definitely later in the production run. Hopefully all is well. I'm still very optimistic though. I do have faith in that I bought a very reliable car. Let's see how these cars go within the next five years. I'm hoping all I ever have to do is change fluids and plugs. I don't plan to modify the engine till the car is paid off and out of warranty.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #1029
Demandred7

Quote:
We'll see how she goes. I've only had the car for like 39 hours lol. With all the chat across the message board regarding more issues I can count on one hand, I'm starting to worry whether I made the right decision in getting this car. But who's to say this ft86club reflects ALL the cars as a whole. Hopefully this is just a very small percentage which is to be expected with any sort of car.

My car has a build date of May 2013. Definitely later in the production run. Hopefully all is well. I'm still very optimistic though. I do have faith in that I bought a very reliable car. Let's see how these cars go within the next five years. I'm hoping all I ever have to do is change fluids and plugs. I don't plan to modify the engine till the car is paid off and out of warranty.
I don't have my build date handy right now, but, I have had mine since August of last year and (knock on wood) will continue to be relatively problem free.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #1030
greentea

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maybe you still remember I have posted a few words before. On the weekend I tested a fr-s 6mt in scion dealer in Kitchener. If there is a more than 10 car greet and meet I would like to come to chat with real owners.
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #1031
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

My car was built in Jan 2013 and no crickets. They have changed the fuel pump design for the later cars and are updating the older ones. I have run Petro 94, 91, Shell 91, Pioneer 91, and Canadian Tire 91 with no issues on any. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only issue on my car that I may have is the tranny. Clutch to the floor, 3rd doesn't always engage. Thought at first it was cause I'm fairly new with stick shift, but more people have started to notice the issue. All of the other issues noted though seem to be fixed by my build date, so yours should be good too.

Just drive the car and all your worries will fade away.
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedFR-s For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #1032
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
Maybe you still remember I have posted a few words before. On the weekend I tested a fr-s 6mt in scion dealer in Kitchener. If there is a more than 10 car greet and meet I would like to come to chat with real owners.
Quote:
With all the new people on here I vote a meet for this week/weekend. I think weekends are better for a few of the guys on here but it's a democracy so let's sort something out.

PS meets usually turn up 8-12 cars around the area, and a few Genesis Coupes
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #1033
sal

Drives: 16 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm in for a meet this Thursday how about 7pm?
sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #1034
Demandred7

On nights this week so weekend is better for me.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #1035
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's a Subaru though...
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #1036
jamies31

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs (Argento)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
we are going to be at a&w on woodlawn tomorrow for open cruise night, would love to see any of yo that can make it, will be a couple show cars from scion canada at the event and would love to fill the lot with scions! event should be from 6-9
jamies31 is offline   Reply With Quote