follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
LPC_FRS

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stock Tires

This winter i was going to shovel out some money for some winter tires and not have to worry about losing my car in a ditch or worse total it. Today I learned i can stand by the stock Prius tires as i crept though the snow inching my way to the store. The roads were not too bad as i turned on to 1 heading towards Walmart on 198. I guess bad or good doesn't mean anything in Maryland, as i passed 5 nearly totaled cars. As i pulled in to Walmart cars were being pushed up the hill trying to get out and back on to 198 (this was definitely not a plausible route in my near future.) On the way back i took some back roads which were now pretty horrible, well there was a guy riding his bicycle in the street against oncoming traffic(probably still driveable.) I got back on 1 and jumped quickly off when i neared home, being i couldn't imagine making it up the hill right before 32. Okay the moment of truth one last down hill by Rams Head @ the Savage Mill and a quick uphill, this one was a doosey but after speeding up to a whopping 12 miles an hour on the third attempt i made it up. So if your thinking about spending money on some winter tires being that your FRS/BRZ is your only car i'd suggest saving it for something that makes the car go faster! Enjoy the Snowmagedon!
LPC_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LPC_FRS For This Useful Post:
Byebye (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
GMU-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you insist on being foolish, you should at least stick to things that won't result in other people getting hurt.
GMU-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMU-BRZ For This Useful Post:
Jrohit (01-21-2014), NoFlush (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Jrohit

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #2072 (6MT)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Please. Don't think that just because you've made one trip safely, you'll make all of them. I was driving on winter tires and my car slid down my driveway even with the emergency brake on.

I don't know about you, but after I've gotten in an accident that totaled my car, I'm doing everything I can to prevent that from ever happening again. Not the fact that my car was totaled, but the other vehicle had 2 kids in it. I don't mind that you dismiss your own life, but please, take in consideration for others.
Jaylyons1 (03-27-2014), NoFlush (01-21-2014), Vyk (01-23-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
LPC_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU-BRZ View Post
If you insist on being foolish, you should at least stick to things that won't result in other people getting hurt.
No the guy in the Escalade going 40mph past me and others should worry about hurting people. The only thing i should worry about is my pride when i do end up hitting something.

I am not saying everyone should follow in my footsteps. I am just putting it out there if you need to get somewhere in this type of weather its doable.

And a plus that you might be able to invest that spent money on tires elsewhere.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
NoFlush
An Otaku

Drives: '13 BRZ-L SWP MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPC_FRS View Post
No the guy in the Escalade going 40mph past me and others should worry about hurting people. The only thing i should worry about is my pride when i do end up hitting something.

I am not saying everyone should follow in my footsteps. I am just putting it out there if you need to get somewhere in this type of weather its doable.

And a plus that you might be able to invest that spent money on tires elsewhere.
Just going to put out there that doable ≠ safe/smart. Unless you have another ride to dd, getting a set of winter tires is actually a wise investment.
NoFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoFlush For This Useful Post:
Jrohit (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Byebye

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not Going to buy winters. Thanks for the heads up.
Byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Vyk

Drives: Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I installed a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3.
They are fantastic.

This reminds me of people who buy high-end Mercs and Bimmers only to not be able to do proper maintenance and afford a new decent set of tires. I'm not saying that's what's going on but this reminds me of it.

Anyway, I still refuse to drive in this weather even with winter tires. Not only because my car might lose traction, but also because of salt and mostly because of other people. I don't trust their driving and I don't trust that people put on proper tires on their cars...
Old 01-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
BoostinIX
Gettin SIKKY sideways

Drives: '97 S14.5 / '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to BoostinIX Send a message via Yahoo to BoostinIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPC_FRS View Post
This winter i was going to shovel out some money for some winter tires and not have to worry about losing my car in a ditch or worse total it. Today I learned i can stand by the stock Prius tires as i crept though the snow inching my way to the store. The roads were not too bad as i turned on to 1 heading towards Walmart on 198. I guess bad or good doesn't mean anything in Maryland, as i passed 5 nearly totaled cars. As i pulled in to Walmart cars were being pushed up the hill trying to get out and back on to 198 (this was definitely not a plausible route in my near future.) On the way back i took some back roads which were now pretty horrible, well there was a guy riding his bicycle in the street against oncoming traffic(probably still driveable.) I got back on 1 and jumped quickly off when i neared home, being i couldn't imagine making it up the hill right before 32. Okay the moment of truth one last down hill by Rams Head @ the Savage Mill and a quick uphill, this one was a doosey but after speeding up to a whopping 12 miles an hour on the third attempt i made it up. So if your thinking about spending money on some winter tires being that your FRS/BRZ is your only car i'd suggest saving it for something that makes the car go faster! Enjoy the Snowmagedon!

Woot. Good for you. I've said this since day 1. That right foot control makes up for a looooooot of issues. I made it in today with 0 issues, and the first few miles were not plowed or salted. (we're in the same area ) Stephens is a jooooooke lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrohit View Post
Please. Don't think that just because you've made one trip safely, you'll make all of them. I was driving on winter tires and my car slid down my driveway even with the emergency brake on.

Snow tires wouldn't have fixed that, at all. We've got cars with snow tires and they slide some too. Salt your driveway and plan for it.

Bunch of haters acting like he did 95 down a residential while shooting a gun in the air.

Know what I saw on my putt putt into work today? Someone in a legacy/forester decide to go 70+ in the fast lane that wasn't well plowed and bounce off the wall 5-6 times. THEN keep going fast.

I'll take his stock tires (and mine) with some common sense and a controlled right foot over people buying winter tires/awd and thinking they're invincible any day.

People drove for decades with RWD and non-snow tires. Get over it.

BoostinIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Vyk

Garage
I wouldn't say we are haters.

Hell, I would call people who take the risk to try these things and drive around like this brave and know how to have fun. That is, IF they were only risking things for themselves. But the fact is, there are others out there being risked.

Things like this and not-well-maintained vehicles scare the crap out of me, as a driver and especially as a motorcyclist.

In a few words, be safe out there.
Jrohit (01-22-2014), NoFlush (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
BoostinIX
Gettin SIKKY sideways

Not everyone has the choice of not going out in the weather that you make. Gotta make the best of it.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Vyk

Garage
That is certainly true. That doesn't make it a good choice, however.
It's good sense to take into account such price of ownership when purchasing a brand new car that comes with summer tires. If your's came with all season tires, continue your cautious driving =).

Be safe.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
LPC_FRS

Being that I come from Chicago where where snow in the winter is a common occurrence the minute amount that fell yesterday was not a big deal. Throttle control it what you need to pay attention to when driving in inclement weather.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
BoostinIX
Gettin SIKKY sideways

^From WI myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to BoostinIX For This Useful Post:
LPC_FRS (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
Vyk

Garage
People around here have very little inclement weather driving experience unfortunately.

Btw check this out, these are mostly extreme cases but they are out there.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/
I also see some crazy stuff at my work too.