follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
brzr

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tips on getting out of the snow

this morning i woke up to my car snowed in

after cleaning the snow around the car, specifically rear tires, i still couldn't get the car to move....the wheels were just spinning, i wasn't going forward, or backward
then i ended up getting some cat litter and sprinkling quite a lot in front of the rear tires, this seems to have worked, as the car was finally free

so i'm looking for tips on how to get the car moving when stuck in the snow, and what products should i get to help out in situations like this?
don't think i want to lug around a bag of kitty litter in the back, or do i?
going to crappy tire later today

p.s. the car has winter tires on
also i believe i remember reading somewhere to turn the traction off when stuck......is this correct?

brzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
GMU-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You absolutely want to haul around a bag or two of cat litter in the trunk. First it adds extra weight on the rear wheels, and second you can spread it in front of the and under wheels to get traction like you did in this case.
GMU-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Traction control is very situational. Sometimes it is an enormous help in slippery conditions, occasionally it holds you back. Just tapping it once puts it in a getting unstuck mode so to speak, it automatically goes back to default after you exceed something like 20 mph. Just try not to let the tires spin, polished wet ice is hard to get away from.

Honestly though, keeping a bag of kitty litter with a cheap plastic cup to spread it isn't a bad idea.

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
trigger happy
Bang Bang

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
you can also go to lowes or any home improvement store and get traction sand. a couple of 70lb bags in the trunk will help. winter tires can also make things a little eaiser.

Raven 6MT//Injen CAI//VDS UEL//Invidia N1//OFT//ST Coilovers
trigger happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I carry

A little red shovel in the trunk. Best mod I have done to date.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Try using second gear and a lot of clutch slip.

Turning traction control off can help in very loose and slippery snow but only if there isn't ice on the ground. Allowing a little wheelspin does improve traction in deep loose snow by kicking out some of the snow between the tread and the ground.

I have also used carpet strips, pile side down, with success.

The problem with fresh wet snow is ice on the ground under the snow.

Snow tires work by grabbing and holding snow in their treads which then freezes to and grips the snow on the road surface. The limit is reached when the snow won't freeze to the ground. Snow tires self clean their treads as the rotate. All season tires tend to hold the snow.

Finally, Michelin Ice are not as good in snow, ironically. They really are designed to be optimized for ice grip. Where you are this is good not bad but you do have to be patient in fresh warm snow.

For the Michelin Ice I'd suggest try for minimal wheelspin by modulating the clutch and using the highest gear that will work ,usually second.

You will find reverse is the most difficult gear to use to get unstuck, ratio is lowest (highest number )
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I literally got stuck in a flat parking lot yesterday, stock tires are unimaginably bad in the winter.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
Studded tires work great. Tire chains work great, and the new style cable chains are quick and easy to install. As stated earlier, carry a shovel. The snow type shovels are too flimsy, so carry a folding pack shovel or short handled steel shovel.

I've had friends use their floormats to get moving.
This works wonders. If your stuck in a sudden snow fall with no equipment, just put floor mats under your tires and it'll move. Obviously, don't try this if you have weathertechs lol

I wonder if pushing the car manually would help too since the car is so light.
congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
You do realize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
I literally got stuck in a flat parking lot yesterday, stock tires are unimaginably bad in the winter.
They are summers.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pbrown For This Useful Post:
mrceltic (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Carry a small shovel and kitty litter, sand, small gravel, etc.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Kfresh23

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You should absolutely turn off the traction control when stuck. This happened to me last winter when I had parked on the street and a snow plow hade made a snow "lip" around my car. I also have winter tires on but needed to rock it back and forth (which is easy with a manual transmission) and then eventually get a push. It was also hard to "plow" through with the front end being so low as it just digs into the snow if it's piled up in front.
I also have put 4 70lb sand bags in the trunk for traction (weight), and as other's have said, kitty litter works just as well.
A little shovel might also be a good investment.
I personally think the BRZ/FRS are horrible winter cars....the traction control system is sub-par compared with other RWD vehicles I have owned, and the super light weight is just not suited to any winter conditions at all! I made my chioce and only have the one vehicle, but I will be saving up for a 4wd winter vehicle as it is just not woth the spin out/getting stuck headaches!
One question for (brzr).....why is your forum name and your license plate say brzr if you drive a Scion FRS???????
Attached Images

Kfresh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Ironically, it's the Torsen that makes this car tricky to drive in winter (or the wet for that matter). The chassis and weight distribution are fine, as is the 6 inches of ground clearance (the car looks low and you sit low but it is still properly high off the ground in stock form), but the Torsen has a 4:1 bias ratio which is a lot, very tight.

Just btw we have excellent portable shovels here made from heavy duty plastic, lexan or aluminum. No need to go for steel. Rona and home despot both carry the Quebec designed and made fold flat scoop type trunk shovel and shy ski mountaineering shop sells excellent avalanche shovels suitable for heavy duty shovelling (it is often thought avalanches are soft snow, not correct, if you've ever skied across one you will know they set up like concrete once they stop, don't let your friend carry a wimpy shovel, lend him yours....).
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Captain Stall
OK, here we g...oh, wait

Drives: '13 Hot Lava 6M
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Two tips on cat litter: 1) make sure you don't get the clumping kind! 2) put it in some kind of container with a cover rather than leave it in the bag, else you risk a trunk full of loose litter!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
brzr

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Try using second gear and a lot of clutch slip.

Turning traction control off can help in very loose and slippery snow but only if there isn't ice on the ground. Allowing a little wheelspin does improve traction in deep loose snow by kicking out some of the snow between the tread and the ground.

I have also used carpet strips, pile side down, with success.

The problem with fresh wet snow is ice on the ground under the snow.

Snow tires work by grabbing and holding snow in their treads which then freezes to and grips the snow on the road surface. The limit is reached when the snow won't freeze to the ground. Snow tires self clean their treads as the rotate. All season tires tend to hold the snow.

Finally, Michelin Ice are not as good in snow, ironically. They really are designed to be optimized for ice grip. Where you are this is good not bad but you do have to be patient in fresh warm snow.

For the Michelin Ice I'd suggest try for minimal wheelspin by modulating the clutch and using the highest gear that will work ,usually second.

You will find reverse is the most difficult gear to use to get unstuck, ratio is lowest (highest number )
carpet strips are a great idea
i was looking at some rubber strips yesterday and didn't feel like paying $40 for just one.......but i'm sure i can find some garbage carpet strips somewhere, and use those

my tires are hankook w409 i-pike, first time using that brand
brzr is offline   Reply With Quote