follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Tetsuya Tada's passion for the 86 - Google+ Hangout session

Well let me share something with you people now that I am allowed to. A few weeks ago I was approached by Toyota Australia with a query if I am interested to participate in a google+ hangout with Tada-san and a few other members from leading outlets from Australia (such as magazines, websites etc). Needles to say I accepted
It happened on Wednesday the 11th of April around noon. Tada-san joined us and held a talk about the car, which really showed his passion for the 86. One of the things I have learned from this (from what we were told) is that he has the Orange 86 with the spoiler from the 2nd prototype. He clearly loves the car, you could see the pride in his face
There was question and answer time at the end of his speech. Now you can view the video for your self on Toyota Australia YouTube channel and Facebook, and see the questions and answers. I wont go in to too many details my self, as I was jotting it down as he was speaking, and my handwriting is horrendous (literally looks like a crow was scratching at the page, I cant read half of it)
Jist of it is, this car has been conceived in 2007, when Toyota was discussing how to bring a profitable, efficient sports car that is very usable. From this, the project of pure passion was formed.
Targets were set, one of which was weight being no more than 1200kg. Now this is something that is very difficult to achieve, in this day and age with all of the safety regulations for a high production low cost car. And from a engineering point of view, the fact that the rear seats fold down to full access while the car is clearly very stiff (from the many videos) is a feat of its own.
The 2L NA engine was a great challenge from scratch. There were issues between Toyota and Subaru with respect to direct injection. From what I understand, Subaru didnt think that it was such a great route, and Toyota was doubting the efficiency the boxer could make. The engine configuration was a obvious choice for its low center of gravity. So they decided to build one prototype and test. Both sides were surprised and astonished by the results and from there they gained more respect and trust in the joint venture.
My moment came when I asked if the engine and gearbox take kindly to forced induction. Basically the answer I got was that more testing is needed (the connection on my side was actually bad and I missed a few things he said)
With respect to the future, they said that Subaru and Toyota will work together on this car rather than going separate ways and anything is possible.. a convertible, a sedan, anything really, but it all depends on demand from the public.
One interesting thing to note was that this car was extensively tested in Australia, which confuses me because for all the spottings *and sightings, I do not remember a single one from oz. Then again, this is a big open country with many thousands of kilometers of isolated freeway..

Again, I jotted this down quickly, so I am not entirely sure its 100% accurate, but you can see the video for your self.
I just want to add that Tada-san made a GREAT car and that Toyota has done us proud. They kept their promises so far and they are about to deliver a car that will fill a void that has been in Australian market for years now. Lets hope that they keep true to their word and that Toyota Australia truly sells this as a AFFORDABLE sports car, like the rest of the world has.
So check out the video on Toyota Australia Facebook Page and YouTube Channel
Cheers

Tony

(I will edit this with links to videos when they become available)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Now an FRS/BRZ/GT86 sedan would be interesting!
Proper little touring car :-)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i was invited over the Easter weekend as i think a few people have dropped out and they need more people to fill up the slots to make the hangout worth while.

it was good that Toyota Australia organised these sessions and for Tada san to take time off to talk to us (he was at Fuji Speedway pit garage). As Tony said he showed us his personal 86 which seems to be a GT Limited in Orange. I can feel his passion and his pride of his creation.

cant wait to see the video and i hope i don't look too bad in it lol

ps. as i said on another post, after the session I sent Tada san a PM on facebook to thank him for his time speaking with us. he mentioned that he would love to talk more about 86 when he comes over "maybe in June" and i asked if he is coming for our local launch and he replied "yes indeed".
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Im visiting QLD at them moment, bugger i missed this by 1 day. I couldve been someones blind guide "wink".
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Great to hear. You know you've got a great product when the creators actually have pride in their creation. I am sure Tada-san holds himself to a high level of standard and we would not see this pride if his standard was not achieved.

It is refreshing to see.
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Nardi330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post
It is refreshing to see.
absolutely.

in the past decade i would associate this pride for Honda engineers for Type R and Mazda for Mx5 and rotaries but never for a Toyota (except LFA)
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
70NYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post
Great to hear. You know you've got a great product when the creators actually have pride in their creation. I am sure Tada-san holds himself to a high level of standard and we would not see this pride if his standard was not achieved.

It is refreshing to see.
It is extramly refreshing to see this hence my wall of text :p
Old 04-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
It is extramly refreshing to see this hence my wall of text :p
Almost as refreshing as it will be to see this thread NOT turn into an economic discussion...*HINT HINT*
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
70NYD

I won't start anything here, there is a place for that and it's the price thread :p
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Ballsak2nv

Drives: Aurion
Depending on public demand Tada says, well Sir in OZ that depends a whole lot on price. As we can see in the US some folks still aren't happy with 25k.

This talk of 35k - 43k will not help Tada San prediction of the 86 future in Oz

Can't wait too see the vid.
Ballsak2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Nardi330

Video is here and a lot of the Q & A was cut out. I hope they will release a transcript.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
dnjshin0bi

Drives: 86 GTS (PW) Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
very nice tony!
dnjshin0bi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
tlp

Drives: Supra
WOW! That's awesome! Did you guys get to actually ask questions?
tlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Nardi330

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
WOW! That's awesome! Did you guys get to actually ask questions?
Yes we did.