follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Should I run Nitrous
Yes 29 47.54%
No 11 18.03%
Popcorn, cuz dis gon b gub 28 45.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Yeah I wonder how many seconds I can get with a 15lb bottle. Do you think a bottle warmer is a good initial investment or should I wait and see if I need it? I cant wait to blow the welds on my intake manifold..... oh wait its plastic hahaha I win!

I would suggest getting a bottle heater from the get go. In my experience, I needed it to get a consistent steady shot. If it was too cold it was weak. You need the bottle blanket with a regulator so that it heats it to what PSI you need, but it won't let it get too hot.

Without the blanket I never had it get too hot, it would just be consistently too cold.

10 lb bottle was good for about 5-6 1/4 mile passes using 75-100 shot with good pressure. All depends on how good the guy you buy from is.

Also, it isn't NOS....
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
You should get 2 of the big ones!

I'm actually kinda curious about the usage myself... when do you spray it? How long does it last?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #17
SoundsOfTheUniverse
Sideways

Drives: '13 & '15 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you do happen to run 100 shot of nitrous, make sure not to granny shift and double-clutch like you should.
SoundsOfTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoundsOfTheUniverse For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016), zberz (02-13-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post

I'm actually kinda curious about the usage myself... when do you spray it? How long does it last?
Depends on jetting and bottle size. If I go this way I will beable to do lots of tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I would suggest getting a bottle heater from the get go. In my experience, I needed it to get a consistent steady shot. If it was too cold it was weak. You need the bottle blanket with a regulator so that it heats it to what PSI you need, but it won't let it get too hot.
Awesome Thanks for the input, I hate the extra cost but I am the do it right or GTFO kinda guy

Without the blanket I never had it get too hot, it would just be consistently too cold. did yours ever get too hot?

10 lb bottle was good for about 5-6 1/4 mile passes using 75-100 shot with good pressure. All depends on how good the guy you buy from is.
Did you spray the whole way down the 1/4mile?

Also, it isn't NOS....
LOL I know, thats why I have been calling it nitrous, but these other guys LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsOfTheUniverse View Post
If you do happen to run 100 shot of nitrous, make sure not to granny shift and double-clutch like you should.
Love it. Was waiting for all the FF jokes I drive an auto (its a DD so we can debate about that in another thread) The advantage here is I will not need a clutch or worry about it slipping. Also the taller gear ratio will work in my favor if I decide to spray
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
SoundsOfTheUniverse (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #19
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Why not a 200 shot? Or 1000
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #20
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It would definitely be interesting to see I'll give you that.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gear_One_Performance For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #21
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

You spray it to edge out the competition just about 1/3rd way from the line your neck and neck. PSSSST bye..instant boost!
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #22
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016), soulreapersteve (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #23
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:

Love it. Was waiting for all the FF jokes I drive an auto (its a DD so we can debate about that in another thread) The advantage here is I will not need a clutch or worry about it slipping. Also the taller gear ratio will work in my favor if I decide to spray

The vehicle I had it on, I would launch in first without it and it came on about halfway through 2nd gear. Basically the vehicle had enough torque in 1st and 2nd and it would blow the tires off if I didn't do it that way. I never ran drag radials or slicks on it either so that didn't help...From 2nd on it was on, would hit the top of 4th crossing the traps.

Also, if you're doing this....invest in a purge kit. Otherwise you will sometimes have a momentary hiccup after the nitrous comes on while the lines completely fill.

Basically, to do this right....you're spending as much as some "all the time" "true" FI options, lol.

No, my bottle never got too hot. I didn't generally leave the bottle in the vehicle unless I knew I was going to do some type of racing. Even still I had it parked in Texas heat for long periods of time without issue. It would take some very odd circumstances to get too hot as to have the bottle build enough pressure to explode or something.

Even if that happens you'll have a blow down tube and pressure release disk as safety features.
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #24
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
The vehicle I had it on, I would launch in first without it and it came on about halfway through 2nd gear. Basically the vehicle had enough torque in 1st and 2nd and it would blow the tires off if I didn't do it that way. I never ran drag radials or slicks on it either so that didn't help...From 2nd on it was on, would hit the top of 4th crossing the traps. Neat, Thanks for the input

Also, if you're doing this....invest in a purge kit. Otherwise you will sometimes have a momentary hiccup after the nitrous comes on while the lines completely fill. I was planning on getting a purge kit. I still haven't decided it I am going to purge in the engine bay (no one will see it) or onto the windshield through the cowl, or I might cut a hole in those fake vents and purge out the passenger side fake vent for a little extra "effect" hahaha!

Basically, to do this right....you're spending as much as some "all the time" "true" FI options, lol. Yup, but I feel this will put less stress on my car in the long run if I don't use it much.

No, my bottle never got too hot. I didn't generally leave the bottle in the vehicle unless I knew I was going to do some type of racing. Even still I had it parked in Texas heat for long periods of time without issue. It would take some very odd circumstances to get too hot as to have the bottle build enough pressure to explode or something.Okay good, I was worried these would be super temperature sensitive haha. I am still on the fence about storing the bottle in the car as it is a DD.

Even if that happens you'll have a blow down tube and pressure release disk as safety features.
Another question, where in the FRS do you think I should mount the bottle? I am open to all options. I was thinking under the glove box in the passenger footwell would be a neat place for it. I think that way I can avoid having to buy a $500 mount (waste of money IMO I can build one cheaper lol)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #25
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Go for it just be careful not to blow the welds on your intake.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016), soulreapersteve (02-09-2016), SoundsOfTheUniverse (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #26
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Why not a 200 shot? Or 1000
I would fry my piston rings and blow the welds on my intake dhu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear_One_Performance View Post
It would definitely be interesting to see I'll give you that.
Thanks! I think alot of people would be interested in following this so part of the reason is to do it for the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
You spray it to edge out the competition just about 1/3rd way from the line your neck and neck. PSSSST bye..instant boost!
LOL a 15lb bottle will last alot more then 1 run, but when it does run out
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #27
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Another question, where in the FRS do you think I should mount the bottle? I am open to all options. I was thinking under the glove box in the passenger footwell would be a neat place for it. I think that way I can avoid having to buy a $500 mount (waste of money IMO I can build one cheaper lol)

I don't see how you would effectively mount a 10 lb + bottle with a blow down tube there. The only "logical" place would be the spare wheel well to me. You have to drill a hole through the body for the blow down, and with the wiring for the heater and everything you want some space around the bottle. Plus the wiring and lines and everything are not attractive per se.

The purge, you ideally want it where YOU can see it so you know you have a good purge, out the cowl or out the side vent would be ideal...just in the engine bay, probably not.

The stress / cost comment.... I'm not sure. You can have a stress related failure no matter what. You just have to make sure you're doing it as safe as possible. A 50 shot really isn't that much though, lol.
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #28
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
You will need to tub out the car and put on Mickey Thompson tires on 12" W wheels to hook up. Sounds like a plan if you want to start drag racing, which these cars were not designed for.

So, no.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-09-2016), Summerwolf (02-09-2016)