follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #379
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Me too. I'm nervous that I'm going to mess something up. I'm pretty comfortable with doing regular maintenance, but I've never messed with master cylinders or stuff like that.
Invest in a simple set of metric flare nut wrenches. It will take the worry out of loosening those banjo bolts.

MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #380
Whiskerz

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone confirm whether THIS is the same part? I'm in Aus so I can't use your other links. Thanks for the writeup by the way.

EDIT: I don't know how I didn't realise that is clearly is the right part. Will probably be ordering this Thursday and giving this a go.

Last edited by Whiskerz; 05-13-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Whiskerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:07 AM   #381
Harey

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just did this and wow I can drive a manual again!!! I dont know why it wasnt like this from the factory, its just how it should be. Nice predictable, precise engagement point each time.

I didnt have anyone to help with the bleeding so just used a block of wood pressed up against the drivers seat.

Thanks for the great writeup!!! It really is a pretty simple mod. If you dont do these things often just take your time.
Harey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harey For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (06-20-2018), Ultramaroon (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #382
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harey View Post
Just did this and wow I can drive a manual again!!! I dont know why it wasnt like this from the factory, its just how it should be. Nice predictable, precise engagement point each time.

I didnt have anyone to help with the bleeding so just used a block of wood pressed up against the drivers seat.

Thanks for the great writeup!!! It really is a pretty simple mod. If you dont do these things often just take your time.
I think the level of detail may intimidate some people. The intent was to write it for adventurous beginners. Great to hear that it worked for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskerz View Post
Can anyone confirm whether THIS is the same part? I'm in Aus so I can't use your other links. Thanks for the writeup by the way.

EDIT: I don't know how I didn't realise that is clearly is the right part. Will probably be ordering this Thursday and giving this a go.
Apologies for missing your post. How did it go?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #383
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Can anyone verify that the Autozone slave cylinder is shorter in length then the OEM one? Mines was.. and I'm having a hard time disengaging the clutch. Not saying it's due to the cylinder, but just wanted to rule it out & make sure I didn't get a wrong/faulty part. I bought the 900061 cylinder, but I've gotten faulty parts from them before. TIA!
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #384
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Can anyone verify that the Autozone slave cylinder is shorter in length then the OEM one? Mines was.. and I'm having a hard time disengaging the clutch. Not saying it's due to the cylinder, but just wanted to rule it out & make sure I didn't get a wrong/faulty part. I bought the 900061 cylinder, but I've gotten faulty parts from them before. TIA!
What exactly do you mean by "hard time"?

Did you do the "Easy clutch Green adjustment" after installing?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #385
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Can anyone verify that the Autozone slave cylinder is shorter in length then the OEM one?
Except for branding, it should look identical to the stock cylinder. Can you share a photo?
Old 07-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #386
reeves

Ok never mind, I think they might be the same length after all. I popped off rubber to the broken OEM one to find the copper section completely blown out of the cylinder lol.

It definitely made it look longer than the Autozone one.

Still can't shift into gear though. Bled the clutch through a whole quart of fluid just to make sure.. And adjusted the pedal height thrice. It still doesn't mean the Autozone one isn't defective either (here's hoping). I'll buy another slave cylinder just to test it first before attempting to pull my tranny off (again).

Old 07-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #387
reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Me too. I'm nervous that I'm going to mess something up. I'm pretty comfortable with doing regular maintenance, but I've never messed with master cylinders or stuff like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's just plumbing. If you can fix a faucet, this'll be a cakewalk. Cleanliness is the key factor.
Yea it's a cakewalk like Ultramaroon said. I was hesitant at first too but was amazed at how simple it was to swap out. Just have a few extra 10mm crush washers handy in case you drop one.
The Following User Says Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #388
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Ok never mind, I think they might be the same length after all. I popped off rubber to the broken OEM one to find the copper section completely blown out of the cylinder lol.

It definitely made it look longer than the Autozone one.

Still can't shift into gear though. Bled the clutch through a whole quart of fluid just to make sure.. And adjusted the pedal height thrice. It still doesn't mean the Autozone one isn't defective either (here's hoping). I'll buy another slave cylinder just to test it first before attempting to pull my tranny off (again).

That's ok. I don't think there's anything wrong with that original slave cylinder. There's nothing keeping the piston from being ejected if the pedal is pumped while nothing pushes back. I'm guessing that was the case with your clutch failure. Let's troubleshoot your clutch in the other thread.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #389
ChRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ SP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone happen to know if this is scca STX legal?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ChRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #390
reeves

Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone verify that the Autozone slave cylinder is shorter in length then the OEM one?
Except for branding, it should look identical to the stock cylinder. Can you share a photo?
I just bought another AutoZone one (900061) and also picked up an OEM one from the Subaru dealership. They are definitely not the same length. AutoZone one is slightly shorter.

Not saying this is the cause of my clutch problems.. just wanted to make a note.

OEM one is on the left, already with the pin assembled.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 PM   #391
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I just bought another AutoZone one (900061) and also picked up an OEM one from the Subaru dealership. They are definitely not the same length. AutoZone one is slightly shorter.

Not saying this is the cause of my clutch problems.. just wanted to make a note.

OEM one is on the left, already with the pin assembled.
They're identical except for the bore. You're fixating on the dust boot. Take them both apart and examine them. I have done just that with at least 10 people on my porch steps to help demystify the whole process. Once you see the guts, you'll understand that it's no more complicated than a syringe.

Keep them clean, though.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:13 PM   #392
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
They're identical except for the bore. You're fixating on the dust boot. Take them both apart and examine them. I have done just that with at least 10 people on my porch steps to help demystify the whole process. Once you see the guts, you'll understand that it's no more complicated than a syringe.

Keep them clean, though.
He's not lying. He will take your nice clean new slave apart even if you're not mystified. Priceless.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch line, slave cylinder