follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #155
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
before i picked up BRZ, i was there on 2 roads where i need to choose between s2k and BRZ. since i had miata, convertible is no go and couldnt stand that much noise i get from highway driving. there was a option that i can get hardtop but even that, still couldnt take that noise (droive my friend's s2k with hardtop) also lack of spaces of s2k stopped me getting one.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #156
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
That is actually quite concerning. Even the rotary is more reliable than that if you maintain it properly.

What did you do to go through two engines? Overtweak the ECU?
ECU is 100% stock.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #157
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagvoba View Post
There is an important reason why Honda stopped making high performance VTEC engines. That's gas economy and emissions. 18/24 MPG looks very bad compared to modern engines, like the one in the FRS/BRZ. Today you can find 300+ hp cars having better fuel economy than that (e.g. BMW's 3 liter V6 with 20/30 with manual gearbox).

Actually, if the S2000 was still sold in the US, it would be classified as a gas-guzzler. That's somewhat embarrassing, especially for a Honda.

In this decade if you want to make a small displacement naturally aspirated engine for a sports car with competitive MPG, then you end up with something like the FRS/BRZ's engine.
I'm not up to date on what defines a new car these days as a gas guzzler, but I highly doubt the S2000 would be classified as one. I believe you need to be under 20 mpg hwy for that distinction.

As an aside, part of the reason the S2000 doesn't get good gas mileage has very little to do with the engine.

-short gearing, thus very high rpms on the highway
-horrible aerodynamics

Neither has a thing to do with the engine. In fact I think CSG Mike has stated the FRS gets worse gas mileage in an on-track environment, compared to the S2000.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #158
DanZilla

Drives: 05 New Formula Red Honda S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DanZilla
S2000 still beasting it after all these years
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #159
Lasse

Drives: Avensis 2.2 diesel
Quite meh review. Why they didn't criticize lack of low rev torque of s2000/rx8? Or theirs bad mileage? Cos they do have quite bad mileage if you compare these two cars against for example 911 Carrera (996). It is much faster but almost as economical. Or atleast it is so close that it doesn't make a difference in your gas bill.

FSR/BRZ for me (or 996..)
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #160
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
Quite meh review. Why they didn't criticize lack of low rev torque of s2000/rx8? Or theirs bad mileage? Cos they do have quite bad mileage if you compare these two cars against for example 911 Carrera (996). It is much faster but almost as economical. Or atleast it is so close that it doesn't make a difference in your gas bill.

FSR/BRZ for me (or 996..)
Well in the end, they said the performance differences in these three cars was like splitting hairs. So if gas mileage or low-end torque matter in your situation, you're probably better off picking based on that. It's hard to make a review that caters to everyone's specific situations, and this review really only focused on the driving experience and not real-world practicality.

Personally for me, having a hard-top, rear seats, and reliable engine were important. So those things outweighed the smaller differences in performance among the cars, making the FR-S the easy choice.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
fatoni (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #161
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
Quite meh review. Why they didn't criticize lack of low rev torque of s2000/rx8?
There's no reason to doubt that if they'd noticed it, they would have commented, but for the type of driving they were doing it was a non-issue. No problem keeping the S2000 and RX8 on the boil with their much higher redlines vs. FR-S. For stoplight/stoplight in-town driving, it would be more of an issue, but in that environment most reasonable people are less likely to be doing any "high-performance" driving, anyway. For sure there are better stoplight/stoplight cars than these...

Quote:
Or theirs bad mileage?
Because the test wasn't about that, it was about driving enjoyment, which car did they have more fun driving. Obviously if mileage is important, that should be taken into account by anyone comparing the cars, but I would hate to see this kind of comparison end with "but we'll go with the FR-S because it gets better mileage."
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #162
wahsaihin

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My BRZ Sport Tech arrives in a week, can't wait!

Back on topic, I have driven all three cars and come from having owned an S2000 and NSX as far as Honda sports cars are concerned.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want out of the car and overall, life. There are some small idiosyncracies between the cars, then there are some distinct differences.

For the past few years I have been doing the daily driver + weekend/track car route. Due to the winter here in Calgary, this means the weekend/track car was parked for half the year. I got quite tired of this arrangement after a while, though it was always a thrill to drive the s2000 and NSX (I owned the NSX after selling the s2000). I had some of the best moments of my life tracking the s2000 and NSX. Wonderful cars I will never forget, and perhaps get again in the future.

Now, I want an arrangement where I would just own a car which was still a blast to drive and would function well as a daily driver. I was very close to acquiring a Porsche 977.2 C4S before coming to a conclusion that I should be less frivolous with money as well. It definitely does not suck to spend $50k+ less on a car that would just be as fun. I currently have some plans to turbo the BRZ as well, taking it to a whole new level and still for a lot less than the Porsche.

The great thing about these 3 cars is that they're drivers cars. All of the excellent and not so excellent traits have been outlined in many posts above, so I won't go into it. At the end it's what you want that's the best car. Most of us like to see progression of things in our life over time. Getting a car with more HP and a bigger price tag isn't necessarily progression! Wants and needs to change over time too, based on your circumstances (still want that Porsche at some point!).
wahsaihin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wahsaihin For This Useful Post:
QuikSilveRX-8 (05-10-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #163
Sanjuro

Drives: S2000 CR
I love my S2K CR, and would love to have a BRZ as a third car.

Last edited by Sanjuro; 05-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #164
GNS

Drives: .
The S2000s that I see around here are all daily driven and are very well maintained... a testament to how much their owners love them.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #165
Evasive Motorsports

Drives: 2012 FR-S and BR-Z
Thanked 1,892 Times in 638 Posts
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Evasive Motorsports
O man S2000 and FR-S have pros and cons we love them both.

-Randy

Last edited by Evasive Motorsports; 05-10-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Evasive Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #166
QuikSilveRX-8

Drives: SE3P
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNS View Post
The S2000s that I see around here are all daily driven and are very well maintained... a testament to how much their owners love them.
Yes, that is true. I've put in 167,305 original factory engine miles in my RX-8; and I can attest that the rotary can reach 200,000 miles in it's original engine with proper (cooling, lubrication, and healthy ignition system) maintenance; although, expensive. Currently have 11,000+ miles on my remanufactured engine. I was forced to purchase one because my factory engine had a broken coolant seal which I drove for 25,000 more before it finally gave up and lost compression.

I could still drive it without stalling, but it became such a hassle because the engine will not start again if it is turned off after it's driven a few miles(hot starts). Either I let it cool for half an hour before restarting it or someone pulls the car to 8 mph on 2nd gear to pop the clutch. The latter always work.

Three moving engine parts, yet complicated... Or do I mean complex?
QuikSilveRX-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #167
vangisback

Drives: Honda S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSilveRX-8 View Post
I could still drive it without stalling, but it became such a hassle because the engine will not start again if it is turned off after it's driven a few miles(hot starts). Either I let it cool for half an hour before restarting it or someone pulls the car to 8 mph on 2nd gear to pop the clutch. The latter always work.
...and I thought that wiping down my S after every drive was too ritualistic. I don't understand half the fuq your rotary-guys have to do to keep your cars running. Reminds me of this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LooFBed-ic"]Mad TV - Bad Luck - YouTube[/ame]
vangisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #168
QuikSilveRX-8

Drives: SE3P
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangisback View Post
...and I thought that wiping down my S after every drive was too ritualistic. I don't understand half the fuq your rotary-guys have to do to keep your cars running. Reminds me of this...

It's simple... The engine is a big rotor! It goes round-and-round your up-and-down blockhead menthality will never comprehend.

Three moving engine parts, yet complicated... Or do I mean complex?
QuikSilveRX-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuikSilveRX-8 For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (05-10-2013)