follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #3109
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
That's what I figured it boiled down to. Is this a place where progressive springs can be advantageous for some extra compliance or does it still just come back to dampers that are well controlled and have a good amount of travel? Is this a situation where stiffer springs and a softer roll bar in the rear would make sense?

Are there any other items that can help improve compliance in the rear? Are there any bushings that bind up under these conditions?

In general I'm happy with the suspensions performance and for now it's a street only car. I'm trying to figure out how far down the suspension rabbit hole it makes sense to go.

Thanks
If it's a midcorner bump, a progressive spring would already be loaded up anyway. Softer springs in general can help, but a good chassis/suspension will handle those types of bumps with firm linear springs.

Springs that are too soft will be on the bumpstops in the corner and make the problem worse. A swaybar that's too small without firm springs to make up for it will lead to the same problem.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
driggity (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #3110
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have RCE T2, currently on stock tophats. Looking to upgrade. I care about performance more than "street car" things. I look at most available options, most move the mounting point lower than the OEM location, so you would need to compress everything further to maintain ride height. My car is by no means "slammed".

Is the travel impact too great, or do I need to look into things like ground control camber plates to help with travel? Other options?

Last edited by ka-t_240; 03-25-2017 at 10:06 PM.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #3111
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
I have RCE T2, currently on stock tophats. Looking to upgrade. I care about performance more than "street car" things. I look at most available options, most move the mounting point lower than the OEM options, so would need to compress everything further to maintain ride height. My car is by no means "slammed".

Is the travel impact too great, or do I need to look into things like ground control camber plates to help with travel? Other options?
Unless you're really on a budget, why not the Raceseng? I think they give a little back on travel over stock. You'll gain a touch of caster too.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #3112
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Unless you're really on a budget, why not the Raceseng? I think they give a little back on travel over stock. You'll gain a touch of caster too.
http://www.brz-parts.com/hvt-brz-camberplate.html

These do the same thing in a cheaper, and much less aesthetic fashion. I recall reading that the HVT stuff is discontinued, not sure how much of that is true.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #3113
Racecomp Engineering

I thought the HVTs were discontinued.

Velox has a similar set.

And of course we've had our RCE forged lowering camber plates that we came out with about a decade ago, but we consistently have supply problems. If you want them, give us a call and be prepared to wait. Otherwise we have our more simple street plates that are a low stack height but do add a tiny bit of height.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
cjd (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #3114
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I thought the HVTs were discontinued.

- Andrew
I guess they are discontinued. Says "This item is currently out of stock!" Did not see that earlier.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 AM   #3115
Insurme1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No reply?

Quote:
We can help, send me a PM. Got some KW springs in stock and can get Swift/Hyperco as well.

- Andrew
Hey I sent you a pm but haven't heard back from you? Can I give you a call?
Insurme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:02 AM   #3116
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insurme1 View Post
Hey I sent you a pm but haven't heard back from you? Can I give you a call?
Sorry about that, I've been out of the office this week and the other dude's don't do the PMs on this forum. Yes give us a call tomorrow!

- andrew
Old 03-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #3117
15limited

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Even with height adjustment being independant from coil spring adjustment on a coilover, would I still need a new alignment when adjusting right height?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #3118
swarb

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15limited View Post
Even with height adjustment being independant from coil spring adjustment on a coilover, would I still need a new alignment when adjusting right height?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
Yes.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #3119
Modern Sports Car
car geeks

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just purchase a 2017 BRZ with the performance package. Normally I'd go right for coilovers, but the Sachs dampers make me hesitate and wonder if a decent linear spring matched well with the dampening of the Sachs unit may not be an 'adequate' solution while I address other higher-need areas of car (i.e., the powerband).

For 2017, Subaru also softened the rear a bit while stiffening the front, presumably for better turn-in and stability near and at the limits.

Not sure how the Sachs compare to standard shocks, so it's hard to know how to pair them with springs, and obviously it all boils down to what you want and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Soooooo, my questions I guess are:

1. Would a drop of around 25mm/1" limit suspension travel 'too much'? That is, hitting bumpstops during at-limit driving, for example? This is a second car that will mainly be driven on street, but I'm also building it for weekend hot-lapping; it's not a track-only car, but I'm willing to tolerate a harsh-ish ride. I drove a 2017 GT86 with the TRD suspension and loved it. Other car is an Integra GS-R with Koni Yellows and Ground Control coilovers.

2. Should I give the Sachs dampers a chance with something like a RS*R or Hotchkis spring, or skip right to coilovers?

3. If I /did/ want to experiment with the Sachs/aftermarket spring combo, what would you recommend?

I plan on using crash-bolts for front camber to see what I can get from then, then go from there.
Modern Sports Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #3120
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
No worries...yes the RCE Yellows are a good fit for the PP Sachs dampers.

Just a note though, I would only get the Starter kit lite if you have a very good shop doing the install. The rear camber bushings are a PAIN to install and many shops have screwed it up or take a very long time ($$$) to do it. The alignment process is also more difficult.

The "Cambo" package is a little more money up front, but the rear LCAs are super easy (and cheaper) to install and align. In general I recommend that package instead.

- Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Sports Car View Post
I just purchase a 2017 BRZ with the performance package. Normally I'd go right for coilovers, but the Sachs dampers make me hesitate and wonder if a decent linear spring matched well with the dampening of the Sachs unit may not be an 'adequate' solution while I address other higher-need areas of car (i.e., the powerband).

For 2017, Subaru also softened the rear a bit while stiffening the front, presumably for better turn-in and stability near and at the limits.

Not sure how the Sachs compare to standard shocks, so it's hard to know how to pair them with springs, and obviously it all boils down to what you want and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Soooooo, my questions I guess are:

1. Would a drop of around 25mm/1" limit suspension travel 'too much'? That is, hitting bumpstops during at-limit driving, for example? This is a second car that will mainly be driven on street, but I'm also building it for weekend hot-lapping; it's not a track-only car, but I'm willing to tolerate a harsh-ish ride. I drove a 2017 GT86 with the TRD suspension and loved it. Other car is an Integra GS-R with Koni Yellows and Ground Control coilovers.

2. Should I give the Sachs dampers a chance with something like a RS*R or Hotchkis spring, or skip right to coilovers?

3. If I /did/ want to experiment with the Sachs/aftermarket spring combo, what would you recommend?

I plan on using crash-bolts for front camber to see what I can get from then, then go from there.
See the answer above.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #3121
Modern Sports Car
car geeks

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Whoops. Clearly my search skills are lacking. Thank you.
Modern Sports Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #3122
TRAKRAVN

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS - Raven
How much lead time, where would I have to shop them and what is the rough cost of having my KW Clubsport 3 ways rebuilt when the time comes?
TRAKRAVN is offline   Reply With Quote