follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #29
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wouldn’t worry too much about having 3 Subarus, who cares what other people think. It sounds like you don’t have a shortage of cars, it might be worth waiting for the next gen 86/BRZ. If rumours are true, @Tcoat loves a rumour , it should be out in a couple of years and it might fit the bill more than the current gen.

If it doesn’t, buy the current gen used.

I can’t think of many sports cars in your price range, especially since you’ve sworn off Porches etc. Miata/MX5, which you’ve said. New Fiat Abarth 124? Miata/MX5 with a turbo motor basically, worth a test drive. I like the look of the 124 better than a Miata/MX5. Otherwise go a BRZ.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 09-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (09-15-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #30
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
BRZ if you want handling or 370Z if you want more power.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #31
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
If I had a stock BRZ, I wouldn't buy a faster second car. Power is addictive. If your second car is WRX, I am afraid you may feel BRZ weak and start driving WRX in the summer as well. If I had WRX already, I would buy Miata so that I could at least go topless in the summer.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (09-15-2019), JoeC (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #32
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
BRZ if you want handling or 370Z if you want more power.
Have you ever sat in a 370? I find the seating position horrible. It could be my height but it feels like you’re sitting on a stack of books. I like them but can’t do it. Great car though
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #33
hongkongbeef

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP, 2016 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
I am surprised you can tolerate the CVT with such a big car. If it had a decent 6 or 8 speed, I would have already owned one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sure the CVT acts funny sometimes. I guess I don't really care since it's the "carry kids around so driving experience doesn't matter" car.
hongkongbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #34
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My wife and I have a BRZ tS and 2 WRXs. We used to have a Crosstrek as well, but I recently swapped that for another WRX. I couldn’t ask for a better combo. WRX for my all around daily and dog hauler, and the BRZ as my weekend/track toy!
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (09-15-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #35
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thank you very much everyone! Your comments and experiences are very helpful and greatly appreciated.

You've given me a lot to think about....
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (09-17-2019)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #36
Mr Breeze

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, 2018 Crosstrek
Does anyone else have both a BRZ and a WRX? Is it silly to have both?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I owned a 2015 WRX along with my BRZ for three years. Since I live in the great white north, it allowed me to keep the BRZ garaged in the winter unless it was a nice day.
I liked the WRX, but I didn't love it. Next time around I might go for an STI instead.
Mr Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Breeze For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #37
Mr Breeze

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, 2018 Crosstrek
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I may get called crazy for this, but I don't think it's a good idea. The BRZ is a really good inbetween car. It handles extremely well but doesn't have a lot of power. It doesn't have low power though. The WRX has great power and torque, and no wheel spin - so it's very thrilling to drive. It handles great. Not extremely well, but it's great.

I think you'll find the WRX to be such a great generalist that the BRZ will not be unique enough to serve a purpose. The WRX handles really well, it gets excellent gas mileage, it hauls way more, it's much faster, it sounds the same but with the bonus of turbo noises and much higher power potential.
I respect your opinion, but I can only say that while I owned both that was not my experience. The WRX had some annoying quirks, rev-hang being one of the worst, felt cheaper and noisier than the BRZ. Since both cost almost exactly the same, it was tougher to put up with the shortcomings of the WRX. I sold it with very low miles and bought a Crosstrek for wife instead.
Mr Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Breeze For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #38
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I realize this thread is old,, but as a 60+ YO guy to another 60+ YO guy,,, get the Corvette. Life is short and you only live once (YOLO) . This is partially important for guys our age.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-22-2020), Dadhawk (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #39
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Breeze View Post
I respect your opinion, but I can only say that while I owned both that was not my experience. The WRX had some annoying quirks, rev-hang being one of the worst, felt cheaper and noisier than the BRZ. Since both cost almost exactly the same, it was tougher to put up with the shortcomings of the WRX. I sold it with very low miles and bought a Crosstrek for wife instead.
That's why cars are great! It's fun to find your own preferences and decide what you do/don't like.
I'm in the same boat; I'd never put up with another WRX. I was generalizing for what I consider to be "most people". Then again, I suppose " most people" wouldn't be on this forum.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #40
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I ended up buying a BRZ as a garagemate to my WRX.

MrBreeze and DarkPira7e, I actually find the BRZ to feel 'cheaper' than the WRX. I like both of them, but probably due to the lightness of construction, the BRZ feels more flimsy and rudimentary than the WRX. It doesn't bother me, I was looking for a more elemental 1960s feeling sports car, but it might not be my first choice for a long drive. The WRX does have the rev hang you mentioned, but it doesn't bother me (that much), all turbo engines seem to have it (though the rock-hard stiff and choppy ride of the WRX makes that not a great choice for long drives either).

gtpvette, I am totally with on YOLO, and the importance of guys our age to appreciate the time we have left. The only certainty about life is that it's shorter than you think, and we all have less time left than we think. I looked hard and thought a lot about a Vette. But, She Who Must Always Be Obeyed in All Things has forbidden me from getting a Corvette. She tolerates (usually...) my car obsession and actually encourages me to buy fun cars. But the only cars she has forbidden me from buying are British cars (too many of them in the past have threatened our marriage) and Corvettes (unless it's a pre-1967). Happy wife, happy life, so I must obey the higher power...
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
gtpvette (01-23-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #41
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I bought a WRX in 2016 and was going to get a BRZ initially. After driving a WRX, I bought one. Since then, there's been a new vette in the mix. I have 2600 miles on the 2016 Vette and 40,000 on the 2016 WRX. The WRX is the more practical car in winter and it's a blast to drive. We use it all the time. I'm still planning on buying a BRZ once I can find a decent price on a used one. The BRZ is fun in ways that are different from the WRX.

(I'm happy I don't have to run this all by my husband like you guys do with your wives)
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #42
TacticalFats

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Old thread, and this is my first post.

I've had a 2015 WRX Premium CVT (wife doesn't drive stick, and considering the rev hand and TOB issues with that year, I don't regret it, esp in traffic) for 5 years (Jan15). In June, my wife replaced her 2006 Element (going to the 16 year old son) with a 2019 Impreza (premium) 5 door.

As winter wore on, I got the bug to get a 'work' car (that's how I sold it, anyway). I've always like the BRZ but with it's tiny backseat and two teen boys it was impractical. In January, I picked up a 2017 BRZ limited PP 6 speed and immediately dumped more money into it (Continental DWS tires, Nameless axleback, various accessories) and it's fit the role of my 'work' car and run-around-doing-dad-errand car perfectly and it's FUN.

My WRX feels like a BMW 7-series after a few days in the BRZ lol. Beast in the snow/rain, fits everyone comfortably, quick enough not to be boring, relatively reliable.

And I've actually been driving the Element to work since it easily fits all my work crap and is a very easy, lazy, comfortable car to drive (kid doesn't get his license till June).

TL;DR: I have a 15 WRX cvt, 17 BRX Limited PP 6spd , 19 Impreza wagon and a 06 Element. They all serve their purpose well.
TacticalFats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TacticalFats For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-15-2020)