follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #1989
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dihudaxia View Post
Hi CSG/RCE team,

I have a question to ask, not sure if its been posted here, but i am kinda lazy to read thru all the pages..

Am looking to change my current setup to a REALLY comfortable coilover setup and based on a fellow forummer's review and a well made video review, i have been led to believe that RS*R Black-i is the way to do (for my budget).

"More comfortable than the stock setup" has been mentioned a couple of times in the review of the Black-i vs Sports-i vs the something else-i.

My question is:

The Black-i has a spring rate of 7F/7R while the sports-i (supposedly less comfortable) has a spring rate of 6F/7R. While i believe the dampers are tuned differently, can a coilover with a stiffer spring rate really be that much more comfortable??

Isnt the role of the springs to absord the shock??

Sorry for the long ass question, i am really picky about ride comfort. It must be softer and more compliant that stock setup!

Thanks!!
The Sport-i is what you want; the black-i is for slamming the car. PM us for a quote
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Dihudaxia (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #1990
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Racecomp Engineering @CSG Mike

What is your preferred rear toe link choice with what is currently available on the market? Any price
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #1991
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post

What is your preferred rear toe link choice with what is currently available on the market? Any price
@CSG Mike will say SPL. And he's right, it's a top notch product. You could do Cusco, Whiteline, or GTSpec as well.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-09-2014), Lawnik (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #1992
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
@CSG Mike will say SPL. And he's right, it's a top notch product. You could do Cusco, Whiteline, or GTSpec as well.
Winner winner chicken dinner!
Quote:

SPL

let us know if you want to order.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (09-09-2014), Lawnik (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #1993
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner!

SPL

let us know if you want to order.
So can I safely assume that you also prefer the SPL lower control arms as well?

I have KW V3's

Thanks for the reply
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #1994
CSG Mike

Quote:
So can I safely assume that you also prefer the SPL lower control arms as well?

I have KW V3's

Thanks for the reply
Correct, and that is what we use on our shop BRZ (and soon on the WRX).
Old 09-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #1995
Dihudaxia

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I can't speak to the RSR coilovers as I don't have any first hand experience with them. You may want to check with the user RYU and ultra as I'm pretty sure they've both run their coilovers.

To answer your question, YES you can improve ride comfort while still increasing spring rates. BUT the damper likely won't be cheap.

A very important note: better than stock to one may be much worse than stock to another. It depends on your roads, your expectations, and what kind of bumps bother you. Many will say that their set-up rides "better than stock" but in reality, it's just "different than stock."

I've been on coilovers that swallow up wheel bending potholes without issue, but make the man boobs you didn't know you had jiggle all day going down a concrete stretch of highway. And vice versa...coilovers that are smooth as silk on mostly good but maybe a little choppy pavement, and they make you hit your head on the ceiling on a larger sharp bump.

Both of the above were running stiff rates and could have used some damper tuning. With a little more work they could have had the best of both worlds.

So yes, you can make a coilover with firm rates ride smoothly. It will, however, be easier to make a system that rides well if you're sticking with mild/medium rates as long as you have the travel and good damping. The really excellent damping needed to make very stiff rates ride well generally costs some decent money.

- Andy

Quote:
The Sport-i is what you want; the black-i is for slamming the car. PM us for a quote

Thanks both for your comments. Really appreciate your ideas.

@Andy RCE, maybe a little bit more information for ya.

I totally understand the damper vs harder riding springs idea. Thanks!
Currently am running Swift Springs on stock dampers. While on the topic of ride comfort, generally the ride comfort on the Swifts are ok, bearable, but harder riding than the stock setup.

The road conditions here are quite poor, roads full of potholes and poor repair jobs.

What I am looking for is a suspension that can deal with the sharp bumps and stretches of uneven roads without breaking my spine. The stock does a decent job, the Swifts, not so good with that.

In a nutshell, the more Camry the better.
Hahahah!

If not RS*R’s are there any decently priced coilover that can give a soothing ride? Was also considering HKS GT, spring rates are lower (esp the rears). Will keep reading up and finding out more

@Mike CSG
Any reason for saying the Sports-I is better? Is it due to damper valving or have you tried them both?
Am not really going for low. Low is a bonus. Will PM you, maybe easier to share your ideas via PM.
Dihudaxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #1996
CSG Mike

Quote:

@Mike CSG
Any reason for saying the Sports-I is better? Is it due to damper valving or have you tried them both?
Am not really going for low. Low is a bonus. Will PM you, maybe easier to share your ideas via PM.
The sport-i is made for comfort; the black-i is literally designed with a shorter damper to accommodate cars with 3" or more drops.

The US spec sport-i has lower spring rates and utilizes the OEM top hats for a softer ride, compared to the JDM spec or CSG spec sport-i.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:47 AM   #1997
Dihudaxia

Quote:
The sport-i is made for comfort; the black-i is literally designed with a shorter damper to accommodate cars with 3" or more drops.

The US spec sport-i has lower spring rates and utilizes the OEM top hats for a softer ride, compared to the JDM spec or CSG spec sport-i.

I see!
How does it fare on rubbish roads? What settings are the dampers on?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #1998
CSG Mike

Quote:
I see!
How does it fare on rubbish roads? What settings are the dampers on?
Settings will vary by car; it's difficult to say blindly, but it's single adjustable so it's easy to play with.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #1999
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Thanks both for your comments. Really appreciate your ideas.

@Andy RCE, maybe a little bit more information for ya.

I totally understand the damper vs harder riding springs idea. Thanks!
Currently am running Swift Springs on stock dampers. While on the topic of ride comfort, generally the ride comfort on the Swifts are ok, bearable, but harder riding than the stock setup.

The road conditions here are quite poor, roads full of potholes and poor repair jobs.

What I am looking for is a suspension that can deal with the sharp bumps and stretches of uneven roads without breaking my spine. The stock does a decent job, the Swifts, not so good with that.

In a nutshell, the more Camry the better.
Hahahah!

If not RS*R’s are there any decently priced coilover that can give a soothing ride? Was also considering HKS GT, spring rates are lower (esp the rears). Will keep reading up and finding out more

@Mike CSG
You might also consider just adding Bilstein HDs to your set-up.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #2000
Dihudaxia

Quote:
You might also consider just adding Bilstein HDs to your set-up.

- Andy

I was actually thinking about that...
But was thinking of the Koni's instead of Bilstein HD (which btw its the B6 or B8???)

I thought that Koni's twin tube low pressure gas dampers may yield a better (more comfortable) ride than Bilstein's high pressure monotube. But that is just my theory.

Well, my friend has ordered a set of your RCE Yellows and Koni's so i will take a taxi ride in his car and i reckon if his koni's can handle the Yellows, it should also do well for my Swifts no??

But coils are tempting for one reason, i find my ride height abit too low... Needs a lift cos i have slight scraping issues with the ramps in my carpark....
Old 09-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #2001
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
I was actually thinking about that...
But was thinking of the Koni's instead of Bilstein HD (which btw its the B6 or B8???)

I thought that Koni's twin tube low pressure gas dampers may yield a better (more comfortable) ride than Bilstein's high pressure monotube. But that is just my theory.

Well, my friend has ordered a set of your RCE Yellows and Koni's so i will take a taxi ride in his car and i reckon if his koni's can handle the Yellows, it should also do well for my Swifts no??

But coils are tempting for one reason, i find my ride height abit too low... Needs a lift cos i have slight scraping issues with the ramps in my carpark....
Sorry, Bilstein B6 = Bilstein HD.

Definitely go for a ride with your friend to check it out. Konis will do well with Swifts. Our springs are a little taller and use replacement shortened bumpstops so the ride may be slightly better with our springs, but you'll still get a good idea of what to expect.

Both are good shocks...IMO Bilsteins ride better over big bumps, but Konis are a little smoother over small stuff.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Dihudaxia (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #2002
Dihudaxia

Quote:
Sorry, Bilstein B6 = Bilstein HD.

Definitely go for a ride with your friend to check it out. Konis will do well with Swifts. Our springs are a little taller and use replacement shortened bumpstops so the ride may be slightly better with our springs, but you'll still get a good idea of what to expect.

Both are good shocks...IMO Bilsteins ride better over big bumps, but Konis are a little smoother over small stuff.

- Andy

Alrighty...
Cant wait for his taxi ride.

Thanks Andy, you guys here in the thread are awesome!!

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dihudaxia For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (09-10-2014)