follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Rexpeed
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #85
jamesm
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,929
Thanks: 1,166
Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,175 Posts
Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I've read that replacing the clips with new ones will make it go back on properly (they become bent during removal).
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #86
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
I've read that replacing the clips with new ones will make it go back on properly (they become bent during removal).

My only problem is attachment near the back of the headlamp assemblies.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #87
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 7,280
Thanks: 607
Thanked 5,728 Times in 3,051 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
My only problem is attachment near the back of the headlamp assemblies.
That is the common location for fit issues. Mine started out on just the driver side, but now both sides don't hold. The slot on the bumper is supposed to be retained by a tab on the plastic bracket that mounts underneath the headlight. The problem is that tab is very short and does not hold the slot on the bumper once you have removed it a couple times. It is almost like the act of pulling the slot of the bumper over it one or two times is enough to damage it so that it won't hold the slot anymore. Some guys have reported success with replacing those plastic brackets, but I would prefer to redesign them with a taller tab to hold the slot in the bumper. This issue gets worse in a forced induction application where the intercooler mounting causes the flat panel at the front of the car to be pushed down at all resulting in tension being put on the bumper itself.
__________________
King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #88
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
That is the common location for fit issues. Mine started out on just the driver side, but now both sides don't hold. The slot on the bumper is supposed to be retained by a tab on the plastic bracket that mounts underneath the headlight. The problem is that tab is very short and does not hold the slot on the bumper once you have removed it a couple times. It is almost like the act of pulling the slot of the bumper over it one or two times is enough to damage it so that it won't hold the slot anymore. Some guys have reported success with replacing those plastic brackets, but I would prefer to redesign them with a taller tab to hold the slot in the bumper. This issue gets worse in a forced induction application where the intercooler mounting causes the flat panel at the front of the car to be pushed down at all resulting in tension being put on the bumper itself.
If I was sure I would not be pulling the bumper again I may actually attempt what you are talking about. But with the bumper having pressure on it I doubt it would snap in perfect.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #89
Hanakuso
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: California
Posts: 1,955
Thanks: 294
Thanked 666 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The 27mm sandwich plate nut Mocal includes is a pain to tighten. Tried several sockets and none quite fit properly. However we were able to get one on enough to torque it down to the rough spec they include.
I found using a 6 point socket to work and grip much better then the 12 point sockets. I actually think the 1-1/16 and 6 point socket worked the best. If I did my math correctly, 1-1/16 equals 26.98mm.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-16-...&blockType=G10
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #90
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 7,280
Thanks: 607
Thanked 5,728 Times in 3,051 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Had that same issue this weekend. I have two 27mm sockets, and both are 12 point one deep and one normal. I was able to get a 25 ft/lb torque on it, but the socket was kind of crooked.
__________________
King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #91
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Had that same issue this weekend. I have two 27mm sockets, and both are 12 point one deep and one normal. I was able to get a 25 ft/lb torque on it, but the socket was kind of crooked.
Yeah, same story here. If it was anymore torque than 27 it would be a problem.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #92
Ricochet48
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: RSX-S
Location: United States
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you. That was quite honestly one of the best forum posts I've ever seen (and not just on a car forum for that matter).

You provided real data, honest opinions, and included all of the variables. Too many times people say to get a cheaper car and make it go fast for cheap. They often forget the time invested in research (or sadly, often lack there of), installation, lost of warranty, and overall hassle.

I'm holding out for a 240Z or 2nd generation GT86 that's got a bit more 'balls', as you put it, stock. I would also like the stock suspension to be something like the new BRZ tS (improved and still under warranty, etc.). I have been on the edge on my seat reading some of the Vortech posts as it seemed like the best option for me. Then when it's all said and done I've spend more than a 370z just to have a bit better handling and no warranty.

I applaud you, and other, whom have been first adapters and really looked to find and ultimately share the 'bugs' with FI twins.

On a side note, watching the video I thought I recognized the area. Then I saw you were from IL--I believe I recognized some of the area you drove! I live in Chicago now, but grew up in the suburbs.

Thanks again, shift on!
Ricochet48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricochet48 For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-21-2013), Raven604 (08-20-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #93
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Thank you. That was quite honestly one of the best forum posts I've ever seen (and not just on a car forum for that matter).

You provided real data, honest opinions, and included all of the variables. Too many times people say to get a cheaper car and make it go fast for cheap. They often forget the time invested in research (or sadly, often lack there of), installation, lost of warranty, and overall hassle.

I'm holding out for a 240Z or 2nd generation GT86 that's got a bit more 'balls', as you put it, stock. I would also like the stock suspension to be something like the new BRZ tS (improved and still under warranty, etc.). I have been on the edge on my seat reading some of the Vortech posts as it seemed like the best option for me. Then when it's all said and done I've spend more than a 370z just to have a bit better handling and no warranty.

I applaud you, and other, whom have been first adapters and really looked to find and ultimately share the 'bugs' with FI twins.

On a side note, watching the video I thought I recognized the area. Then I saw you were from IL--I believe I recognized some of the area you drove! I live in Chicago now, but grew up in the suburbs.

Thanks again, shift on!
Thank's I have the final track review coming out next week, with all the follow up and overall impressions after the install. Thanks for the kind words.

When I started the first few BS reviews I knew I could not offer anything new to the community. Then figured out how to make a series of videos that were more than just BS rants. And now hopefully people get something out of them whether they agree or not.

Yep burbs of chicago!
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #94
boxer 2.5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: 2007 Impreza, 2013 BRZ
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 314
Thanks: 240
Thanked 117 Times in 78 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TURBOWSKI!!!! I watched all the vids on YouTube before I actually google'd it and found your thread. I think the Intricate level of detail you provide is astounding, and how you have the time to do it is beyond me. Granted I'm 19, I work all the time, and go to school when I'm not at work... Anyway! The install of the supercharger leads me to believe that maybe you should have held off a couple of years and used the car as a car. Let other guinea pigs take the bait of new parts, and wait until their engines need rebuilds and the like. I for one am waiting until there is a little thicker headgasket (multi-layered), a mild cam setup, and a much wider range of ROM's from tuners that have been tried and true tested. I AM NOT BASHING YOUR BUILD, however, from a guy who researched and saved for 2 years to buy his BRZ, I want everything going into it to be tested, to make sure the longevity of the vehicle stays intact. Your write up was very detailed, and I'm sure it has, and will help other enthusiasts to either steer clear of the products used, or dive in and bolt them on!
boxer 2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brz vortech supercharger install? Sniper2606 Forced Induction 16 05-07-2013 03:31 PM
*PHASTEK* Perrin Tuned Vortech Supercharger Install Thread (3 Vehicles, 3 Kits) PhastekSport Forced Induction 425 04-26-2013 10:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.