follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Sniper2606
Senior Member
 
Sniper2606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 637
Thanks: 148
Thanked 180 Times in 117 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
brz vortech supercharger install?

Planing on buying the complete kit in a few months.

Just wondering on the install if it can be done as a DYI home garage? I've heard some modification and shaving and cutting the wires on the MAF which i dont feel very comfortable doing, maybe a plug and play later on? can someone clarify this?

I do have good tools, not air tools


Thanks
Sniper2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
dabocx
Senior Member
 
dabocx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Scion FRS
Location: United States
Posts: 1,265
Thanks: 564
Thanked 257 Times in 189 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seems the vast majority are doing the install themselves. There was talk of premade maf wiring but I don't know if that came to be just yet.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dabocx For This Useful Post:
charged86 (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Sniper2606
Senior Member
 
Sniper2606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 637
Thanks: 148
Thanked 180 Times in 117 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
Seems the vast majority are doing the install themselves. There was talk of premade maf wiring but I don't know if that came to be just yet.

I see, im also waiting on innovate, but looks like they completely drop the ball haven't seen any updates on their kit yet
Sniper2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
congiiee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Location: Virginia
Posts: 197
Thanks: 57
Thanked 62 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey dude I am 20 years old and know nothing about cars and I was able to install the kit. I did it all in my garage. Just need to pick up a few tools or you can borrow them from friends. Hardest thing for me really was drilling the hole for the intercooler. Going into the project I thought the MAF was kind of scary to cut and solder but it was very easy. Just watch a few youtube tutorials prior to install. Tip: Take your time and read instructions. USE REFERENCE PHOTOS! if you have any questions about the install you can PM me.
congiiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
Sniper2606
Senior Member
 
Sniper2606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 637
Thanks: 148
Thanked 180 Times in 117 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by congiiee View Post
Hey dude I am 20 years old and know nothing about cars and I was able to install the kit. I did it all in my garage. Just need to pick up a few tools or you can borrow them from friends. Hardest thing for me really was drilling the hole for the intercooler. Going into the project I thought the MAF was kind of scary to cut and solder but it was very easy. Just watch a few youtube tutorials prior to install. Tip: Take your time and read instructions. USE REFERENCE PHOTOS! if you have any questions about the install you can PM me.

I saw your install, very nice, feeling more confident now.

Im planning on getting UEL headers,overpipe, catless pipe and q300 exhaust first, and then the SC later when i crack the 10k or 20k miles, does anybody know if i would need a different tune with the complete kit or it doesnt matter? not sure if they would charge or not to change maps
Sniper2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
reyruiz191
Senior Member
 
reyruiz191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Vortech SC, 2007 Yamaha R6
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 216
Thanks: 52
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by congiiee View Post
Hey dude I am 20 years old and know nothing about cars and I was able to install the kit. I did it all in my garage. Just need to pick up a few tools or you can borrow them from friends. Hardest thing for me really was drilling the hole for the intercooler. Going into the project I thought the MAF was kind of scary to cut and solder but it was very easy. Just watch a few youtube tutorials prior to install. Tip: Take your time and read instructions. USE REFERENCE PHOTOS! if you have any questions about the install you can PM me.
Pretty much everything he said. With basic tools you can get the job done yourself which will save you money on having a shop do it for you. The hardest part I also encountered was drilling the holes for the intercooler bracket, it also didn't help that I didn't have the proper drill but I still managed to get it done. The most important part is just making sure you have the time you think the install will take, and even some extra time in case you run into some setbacks along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2606 View Post
I saw your install, very nice, feeling more confident now.

Im planning on getting UEL headers,overpipe, catless pipe and q300 exhaust first, and then the SC later when i crack the 10k or 20k miles, does anybody know if i would need a different tune with the complete kit or it doesnt matter? not sure if they would charge or not to change maps
You typically will have to pay more money for a forced induction tune, so if you buy a tune while you're N/A then want to go FI you'll have to buy a new map from your tuner. If you dont plan on going FI for awhile then I would get a tune now, but if you plan on doing everything pretty soon I would just hold off on the tune until you go FI so you aren't wasting that money.
__________________
reyruiz191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
djdnz
1337
 
djdnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Location: San Jose, CA / Waterloo, ON
Posts: 1,133
Thanks: 775
Thanked 467 Times in 266 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
There's a video on youtube that a forum member named "staycrushing" made. It goes into depth on the install, watch that and see for yourself.

Doesn't look too involved, you should be fine. Maybe have a friend help out, wrenching on cars with two people is generally a good time had by all. Don't forget some beers.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Pablitomarrero
Senior Member
 
Pablitomarrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: FR-S 10 series
Location: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Posts: 735
Thanks: 370
Thanked 384 Times in 240 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
There's a video on youtube that a forum member named "staycrushing" made. It goes into depth on the install, watch that and see for yourself.

Doesn't look too involved, you should be fine. Maybe have a friend help out, wrenching on cars with two people is generally a good time had by all. Don't forget some beers.
Really? I thought it was just a 10 minute preview of a DVD he made- supposedly extremely well detailed
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Sniper2606
Senior Member
 
Sniper2606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 637
Thanks: 148
Thanked 180 Times in 117 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablitomarrero View Post
Really? I thought it was just a 10 minute preview of a DVD he made- supposedly extremely well detailed

http://store.drifting.com/mrescfrbrzvo.html


You mean this?

Its $24 to buy, i might just get that
Sniper2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper2606 For This Useful Post:
Deepseadiver (05-11-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Pablitomarrero
Senior Member
 
Pablitomarrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: FR-S 10 series
Location: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Posts: 735
Thanks: 370
Thanked 384 Times in 240 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2606 View Post
http://store.drifting.com/mrescfrbrzvo.html


You mean this?

Its $24 to buy, i might just get that
yup! I was planning on buying it if I was to get the vortech. I have the PDF instructions they provided and honestly...they are shit for someone who has little experience. I could only get to page 2 before I was completely lost
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
PERRIN_Chris
Senior Member
 
PERRIN_Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 767
Thanks: 450
Thanked 532 Times in 315 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
The kit comes with instructions that are very detailed that are over 40 pages long! I can email it to you if you like. Plus there's a lot of guys on here that have done the install, and you can even contact Vortech directly. They're super helpful.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
Brian@Vortech (05-07-2013), Pablitomarrero (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Sniper2606
Senior Member
 
Sniper2606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 637
Thanks: 148
Thanked 180 Times in 117 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
The kit comes with instructions that are very detailed that are over 40 pages long! I can email it to you if you like. Plus there's a lot of guys on here that have done the install, and you can even contact Vortech directly. They're super helpful.

Well i order the kit, i just wish they had a plug and play MAF so i dont have to cut the wires
Sniper2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
reyruiz191
Senior Member
 
reyruiz191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Vortech SC, 2007 Yamaha R6
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 216
Thanks: 52
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2606 View Post
http://store.drifting.com/mrescfrbrzvo.html


You mean this?

Its $24 to buy, i might just get that
I actually bought it, but it never came. I ordered it about the last week of march and I still have yet to recieve it. My kit came in so I just went ahead with the install using the pdf instructions which weren't that hard to follow. I emailed them twice about it but no response. I've been meaning to try and call them and see if i can get a response that way but I kinda forgot about it until this post reminded me.
__________________
reyruiz191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Brian@Vortech
 
Brian@Vortech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Location: SoCal
Posts: 207
Thanks: 251
Thanked 616 Times in 149 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2606 View Post
Well i order the kit, i just wish they had a plug and play MAF so i dont have to cut the wires
We do have plug-and-play wiring harnesses! They'll be here later this week.

Vortech P/N: 5W001-094 - MSRP $93.95
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
Sniper2606 (05-07-2013)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*PHASTEK* Perrin Tuned Vortech Supercharger Install Thread (3 Vehicles, 3 Kits) PhastekSport Forced Induction 425 04-26-2013 10:06 AM
Vortech supercharger skatery1989 Forced Induction 293 04-19-2013 04:58 PM
Vortech Supercharger ThePoet Forced Induction 2 04-01-2013 03:09 PM
Vortech supercharger. skatery1989 Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 2 02-23-2013 08:19 AM
Vortech Supercharger FRS/BRZ vividracing Forced Induction 5 01-29-2013 08:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.