follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #155
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wonder why failing injector seals didn't show up in the countless miles of preproduction testing. Did they change specs prior to ramping up the manufacturing process?

Just wondering.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #156
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I wonder why failing injector seals didn't show up in the countless miles of preproduction testing. Did they change specs prior to ramping up the manufacturing process?

Just wondering.
The same question could be applied to the chirping, leaky taillights and window scrolling issues.

Either this is an issue that's come up recently due to differences between manufacturing and pre-production, completely overlooked during testing, or this isn't "normal" and it only affects a minority who are aggressive with their cars.

I expect an ECU reflash to be available by the end of August, they'll warranty any stock vehicle failures (hopefully regardless of track time) and it will die down like the CEL/SL did. At least, that's assuming the failure is related to the knock and not the heat, if it's the heat then they'll need to change parts or figure out how to keep the engine cooler, that would be a huge mess.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #157
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The same question could be applied to the chirping, leaky taillights and window scrolling issues.

No.

For three reasons:

1) Chirp is ethanol related.

2) The Japanese don't perceive the chirp to be anything other than normal.

3) Chirp does not lead to either abnormal functioning of the car nor engine failure.

Windows and tail lights are small assembly glitches remedied by a manufacturing process adjustment. Neither the windows nor the tail lights have rendered the car inoperable.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #158
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
No.

For three reasons:

1) Chirp is ethanol related.

2) The Japanese don't perceive the chirp to be anything other than normal.

3) Chirp does not lead to either abnormal functioning of the car nor engine failure.
1. What does that have to do with identifying the issue before sale to the masses? The vehicle was tested here on regular pump gas, and ethanol free solves it for SOME, not all.
2. Fair, no argument there. BUT, they did issue a TSB which indicates that something requires fixing.
3. Agreed, however IF they were aware of the noise and deemed it "normal" a TSB should never have been issued, no "new" pump designs should have been put out. But those things happened, the "solution" was put into place either due to consumer demand or they were unaware of it in testing for whatever reasons, in which case you'd be asking the same question we're asking here: "Why wasn't this caught earlier?"

Quote:
Windows and tail lights are small assembly glitches remedied by a manufacturing process adjustment. Neither the windows nor the tail lights have rendered the car inoperable.
You're right they're smaller scale and impact BUT they are issues which have required rework from Toyota/Subaru to remedy, it is reasonable to ask why these problems weren't known sooner. There is little reason why a test mule would have different manufacturing processes or different parts from what was sold to the rest of us (especially things as mundane as taillights, fuel pumps and windows, those should all be basically off the shelf). The question "Why has this happened to us and why wasn't it caught in testing" is valid for all the things I posted.

I admit they are not comparable to the injector seal issue but they are widespread and would have been caught on 10 randomly selected and thoroughly tested cars, at least from the pool we all bought ours from.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (06-12-2013), Marrk (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #159
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
Apologies. I was a little fuzzy on the details, since it's been ~4 months since I read the thread where you described how you destroyed your motor. This is "Wtf" I'm talking about:
http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/24...nk-i-broke-it/
Here's how it looks to me: You find a tuner and pay him to d*ck up your car so it runs lean/hot. A tuner that you are aware "tuned" another TJ members NC Miata that subsequently blew up. You take your car to the track, where it becomes apparent that your having major engine problems, so you take it out for another session, where the problem gets worse. What do you do then? Take it out for a third session to make sure it's completely destroyed. Next, you post online that you've "broken it", and your "tuner" re-flashes it back to stock, so you can mislead Toyota into replacing your engine. You take in your fully track prepped car-cage, stripped interior, track wing and all, and Toyota generously replaces your motor. When the dealer warns you that they're only giving you one motor, instead of being grateful for the replacement you got after YOU destroyed your engine, you slam Toyota online, acting as if you had nothing to do with the damage. Your silly admonitions to Toyota about the FRS are comical. What sucks is that we Toyota customers ultimately all share the cost of the companies' generosity in case like yours. Your dishonesty may well cost Toyota and Subaru sales, judging by some of the comments here. No doubt your dishonesty has many here agitated and enjoying their cars less than they should be. A man owns up to his mistakes. I think you owe this whole community an apology, not to mention Toyota, who has gone far above and beyond what's justifiable since you voided your own warranty, then destroyed your motor like an idiot.
BTW, who is "miss inform".
Replied from my phone while i was at the airport plus english is my 4th language. I am too busy enjoying my trip in Europe while u bitch and moan about my grammar. This will be my last post for a month until i am back home. I really wont lose any more of my time with some one that is bitching about a car he does not own. Its been clear more people that are not even tuned are having this issue.

Btw guys i get to drive the ring on the 17th and they have a fr-s where im renting the race car. Ill ask them if they have had any DI issues since its a track rental, im guessing the cool temps will prove otherwise. If my mistake was posting my issue with the car to try and find a permanent fix so people dont start having the same problem some of us have had then so be it.

Last edited by track_warrior; 06-12-2013 at 03:43 PM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to track_warrior For This Useful Post:
lazyluka (06-12-2013), Marrk (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #160
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Guys ease up.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #161
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
Replied from my phone while i was at the airport plus english is my 4th language. I am too busy enjoying my trip in Europe while u bitch and moan about my grammar. This will be my last post for a month until i am back home. I really wont lose any more of my time with some one that is bitching about a car he does not own. Its been clear more people that are not even tuned are having this issue.

Btw guys i get to drive the ring on the 17th and they have a fr-s where im renting the race car. Ill ask them if they have had any DI issues since its a track rental, im guessing the cool temps will prove otherwise. If my mistake was posting my issue with the car to try and find a permanent fix so people dont start having the same problem some of us have had then so be it.
Oh no. What will we do without you?
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #162
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Interested to hear your impressions about the FRS on the ring...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #163
Marrk

Quote:

Please do report back on The 'Ring, etc. :happy0180:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #164
romin

Drives: BRZ, STI, 535, Tiffin Allegro
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I had my injectors pulled by a 3rd party mechanic because Subaru refused to.
Here is what we found:

Cylinder #1 injector was so badly pitted that we had to completely replace it:

romin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to romin For This Useful Post:
2forme (06-13-2013), CSG Mike (06-13-2013), mad_sb (06-13-2013), Marrk (06-12-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #165
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by romin View Post
Were you running a tune when the problem started?
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #166
Stevo22

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Here is what we found:

More details please....
1. Why would Subaru not pull them (no CEL)?
2. How many miles on your engine?
3. Did you just do it to check or could you hear an audible knock?
4. Anything else you think is important that we should know
Stevo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #167
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is what we found:

@romin, what did you do to clean and prep the seal seat area on the head when you replaced the injector / seal? With that much carbon on the injector i would imagine the seat area is nasty with build up as well..........
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #168
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Here is what we found:

Please tell me you rubbed it in the face of the service manager and filed a complaint with SoA to get a refund. I think someone should take this to Jalopnik or Autoblog or something. That would DEFINITELY get their attention.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
vgi (06-13-2013), xjohnx (06-13-2013)