follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
BC Racing Time Attack FRS at Ultimate Track Car Challenge Video

Ultimate Track Car Challenge 2015

From Le Mans spec prototypes to classic vintage racers the Ultimate Track Car challenge lets you compete head to head with some of the fastest cars in the USA. This year the Ultimate Track Car Challenge takes place at Virginia International Raceway where BC Racing NA sponsored driver Phil Grabow competes with some of the best in his Scion FRS.

Great video by BC Racing and I wish I could have embedded it but the link is worth a watch!

https://www.facebook.com/BCRacingNA/...01089733256551

Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-13-2015), DustinS (08-13-2015), fstlane (08-14-2015), hmong337 (08-14-2015), Jonsey (08-14-2015), M1K3 (08-14-2015), Nigelr32 (08-16-2015), SnapOv3st3r (10-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Tim Radley

Drives: GT86, SQ5, RS3
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone got a link to their build and spec?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Element Tuning

Tim,

Here are the basics:
Element Tuning Pro Comp Motor (Forged internals, internal oiling mods, big valve heads, secure rockers, and ET Lil accumulator kit, 9k rpm)
Hydra EMS, WB kit, and ET boost control
ET Custom valved BC Racing ZR 3 way coilovers and Swift Springs
Perrin Performance Oil Cooler, strut bar, PSR kit, Steering rack lock down, strut bar, motor mounts, shift knob, 3" exhaust, and over pipe
Whiteline sway bar, diff bushings, rear control arm bushings, toe rods, and front bump steer kit
Ma-Motorsports Roll Cage
RR Racing Brake Kit
Garrett 60 trim turbocharger
Element Tuning custom radiator
Element Tuning custom transmission cooler
....and a whole lot more custom and I'm sure I forgot a thing or two
Speedesign custom graphics

The car is in TT2 trim currently.

Last edited by Element Tuning; 08-14-2015 at 09:25 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
DustinS (08-17-2015), Tim Radley (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Great job Phil. Do you think think there's a sub-2:00 time in the car if you resolve your oiling issue? Seems like you'd be really competitive in the TT2 class if I'm not mistaken.

BTW love watching you drive. Any more in-car video?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 AM   #5
Tim Radley

Thanks for that.
What sort of power are you at and any figures on downforce?
What brake kit?
Are there no dry sump kits anywhere for this yet as I noticed the comment about oiling issues still.
Car looks very quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
Tim,

Here are the basics:
Element Tuning Pro Comp Motor (Forged internals, internal oiling mods, big valve heads, secure rockers, and ET Lil accumulator kit, 9k rpm)
Hydra EMS, WB kit, and ET boost control
ET Custom valved BC Racing ZR 3 way coilovers and Swift Springs
Perrin Performance Oil Cooler, strut bar, PSR kit, Steering rack lock down, strut bar, motor mounts, shift knob, 3" exhaust, and over pipe
Whiteline sway bar, diff bushings, rear control arm bushings, toe rods, and front bump steer kit
Ma-Motorsports Roll Cage
Garrett 60 trim turbocharger
Element Tuning custom radiator
Element Tuning custom transmission cooler
....and a whole lot more custom and I'm sure I forgot a thing or two
Speedesign custom graphics

The car is in TT2 trim currently.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Great job Phil. Do you think think there's a sub-2:00 time in the car if you resolve your oiling issue? Seems like you'd be really competitive in the TT2 class if I'm not mistaken.

BTW love watching you drive. Any more in-car video?
Thanks! Check our YouTube channel for full videos.

I actually have the NASA TT2 lap record at VIR with a 1:58 in this FRS. We had the car way detuned to get through the event in one piece. Transmission and oil pressure are still a problem at higher power levels under racing conditions.

Last edited by Element Tuning; 08-14-2015 at 10:54 AM.
DarkSunrise (08-14-2015), Ultramaroon (08-16-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Thanks for that.
What sort of power are you at and any figures on downforce?
What brake kit?
Are there no dry sump kits anywhere for this yet as I noticed the comment about oiling issues still.
Car looks very quick.
We worked with RR Racing to develop a brake kit on this car that would increase the rear to front brake torque bias.

A dry sump will be fitted to this car before it returns to the track so we had the car very detuned for this event (maybe 340 whp in gears 1-4 and a little more in 5th and 6th).

The current wing angle delivers about 600 lbs of DF at 100 mph but can exceed 1200 lbs at higher speeds.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
Tim Radley

How much have you increased the brake split by?

So do you have a DS kit for sale or is there somewhere it can be bought from?

Thanks.

Quote:
We worked with RR Racing to develop a brake kit on this car that would increase the rear to front brake torque bias.

A dry sump will be fitted to this car before it returns to the track so we had the car very detuned for this event (maybe 340 whp in gears 1-4 and a little more in 5th and 6th).

The current wing angle delivers about 600 lbs of DF at 100 mph but can exceed 1200 lbs at higher speeds.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Element Tuning

Tim, the actual split is not likely something we'll publish but I was critical in getting the oem ABS system to be raceable on a car like this. Depending on the kit you buy the split varies but the full front and rear racing kit has the biggest bias change so it's really needed for track setup suspension on slicks and with downforce.

We haven't finished the dry sump yet since most have enough oil pressure with our motor build as is since many of the high power guys don't road race. We've pushed 500 whp at only 19 psi on the dyno to 9k rpm and still had 80 psi of oil pressure.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:31 AM   #10
Tim Radley

Ok yes i understand entirely.

Same here, i log oil pressure and rev over 8k on the road and see absolutely no issue even when launching either. But i'm getting ready to turn it into a track car now so just want a proper sump solution from day one. Was looking at making my own kit but rumours are there will be some on the market soon.

Quote:
Tim, the actual split is not likely something we'll publish but I was critical in getting the oem ABS system to be raceable on a car like this. Depending on the kit you buy the split varies but the full front and rear racing kit has the biggest bias change so it's really needed for track setup suspension on slicks and with downforce.

We haven't finished the dry sump yet since most have enough oil pressure with our motor build as is since many of the high power guys don't road race. We've pushed 500 whp at only 19 psi on the dyno to 9k rpm and still had 80 psi of oil pressure.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Nigelr32

Drives: '14 GT86 project, '13 GT86 DD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
May I ask, why are you determined to keep the ABS? See my posts on here in the chassis/ braking section regarding ABS modification vs removal. Perhaps you could have some valid input??

I could well be in the market for a dry sump kit for my project.

Are the oiling issues here just surge or are they pump related?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Want to sell a wing?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Element Tuning

Sorry for the late replies as I was out of the country getting a little R&R. Grass Roots Motorsports Magazine released the full lap video of the BC Racing Element Tuning FRS at UTCC VIR.

https://www.facebook.com/grassrootsm...type=2&theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Want to sell a wing?
No but it's all custom. A heads up however is that whole wing assembly and mounts would approach $4k. It's a rea1 motorsports dry carbon wing so it's pricey. I'm sure you could make something for about $1k less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelr32 View Post
May I ask, why are you determined to keep the ABS? See my posts on here in the chassis/ braking section regarding ABS modification vs removal. Perhaps you could have some valid input??

I could well be in the market for a dry sump kit for my project.

Are the oiling issues here just surge or are they pump related?
I'll have to look at your thread but the reason I haven't totally given up is that ABS is good, so if I can make it work, great I'll take it. The problem however is that you cannot just unplug it. With the RR Racing brake kit we helped develop we've shifted much of that brake torque to the rear mechanically so we don't have to rely completely on the ABS modules brake force distribution so it's at least raceable in this form when the ABS faults. I'm thinking about plumbing is some driver adjustable bias valves like we have in our other race car to maybe turn down front brake torque even more.

If I'm going to forgo ABS I'll do it with a pedal box and two brake master cylinders. I'm starting to feel the ABS problem isn't completely brake related and more the entire "Stability Control" system freaking out and turning off the ABS. The system will fault on my car even when no excessive brake force is used but I'm jumping curbs aggressively. I have a OBD module one of the racers from FT86 Factory gave to force "Pedal Dance" and it does that where I could never get pedal dance to work but I'm still able to drive in a way to defeat the pedal dance.

The main oiling issue is just pressure/volume related and not oil starvation.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow

Last edited by Element Tuning; 08-21-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: my phone spells worse than I do
DustinS (08-20-2015), Nigelr32 (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
Nigelr32

Drives: '14 GT86 project, '13 GT86 DD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for your great reply there Phil.

I have bought a Tilton bias pedal box with reverse mount under foot master cylinders. Tilton 72-616 is the p/n.

I still don't know if I'll keep the ABS, especially after reading what you have written above about it bombing out on track!!