follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Raven 6

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cigars Anyone

Hope this isn't a re-post, looked but didn't really find anything. This is for the Cigar Smokers out there, what's you favorite?

1. Almost any Drew Estate (especially Dirt Torpedo and T-52's).
2. Ashtons Madero's.
Raven 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Optimos

But with custom work done ; )
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
You guys should take road trips to Canada, we have cubans in every cigar shop.

I used to smoke them a lot but my GF made me quit when I made her quit smoking cigarettes. Fair is fair I guess.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Raven 6

I was able to smoke Cuban Montecristos while on vacation in Mexico, I'll be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between them and those from the Dominican Republic. I think what makes us want Cubans is because we can't get them.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven 6 View Post
I was able to smoke Cuban Montecristos while on vacation in Mexico, I'll be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between them and those from the Dominican Republic. I think what makes us want Cubans is because we can't get them.
Yeow...that hurts my eyes to read. There's actually a pretty big difference between them, but not all cubans are that great, which depends on what you like out of a cigar.

Reading that you got it in Mexico, makes me think you got a fake. Hopefully you went to an actual La Casa Del Habano.

The closest thing to a "cuban" that's readily available are a few vitolas of Davidoff. Then again, there are a lot of different flavors for cubans just like there are different flavors within Dominican, Nicaraguan, or Honduran cigars, but I prefer my cigars to be more floral rather than earthy or spicy.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Raven 6

They were real, real expensive. One of the ways to tell a fake in Mexico is if it comes in a glass tube in one of the tourist shops. Or at least that's what we were warned to stay away from. I have one left that I was able to sneak in, maybe I need to do a re-test this weekend to verify.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #7
chutrain

Drives: WRB BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Yeow...that hurts my eyes to read. There's actually a pretty big difference between them, but not all cubans are that great, which depends on what you like out of a cigar.

Reading that you got it in Mexico, makes me think you got a fake. Hopefully you went to an actual La Casa Del Habano.

The closest thing to a "cuban" that's readily available are a few vitolas of Davidoff. Then again, there are a lot of different flavors for cubans just like there are different flavors within Dominican, Nicaraguan, or Honduran cigars, but I prefer my cigars to be more floral rather than earthy or spicy.

There are technically several grades of Cuban cigars. The best of the best are usually given to government officials of Cuba. Then the next round goes to countries with good relations with Cuba. Generally the European countries. Spain being one of the best. After that the rest of the world gets mediocre ones. Paying $30 or more doesn't guarantee a good one unfortunately.

In my opinion, some of the best cigars coming out are from Nicaragua. One of the up and coming regions that have very similar conditions to Cuba. Many manufactures have been moving and setting up their factories in Nicaragua, especially in the Esteli region. If you look at the top 25 lists that are floating around from any magazines or online reviews, you will see a good number of top rated are from Nicaragua.

Going back to Cubans, I would rather have two $15 sticks from Nicaragua or DR, hell some of the $8-12 range sticks are amazing, than spend $30 and hopefully get a good Cuban. I've had my share of Cubans, but strangely enough the best ones I've had are the Cohiba Siglos that I got from China.

The last couple of good ones I've had are:
Viaje Zombie SuperShot
Viaje Zombie Green with Criollo wrapper
Intemperance BA Breach of the Peace

I run a shop and lounge, so if anyone needs any advice just let me know.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #444/500 (For Sale)
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited - Acquired 9/15/12
chutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chutrain For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-11-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
chutrain

Drives: WRB BRZ
Garage
Quote:

Give the Herrera Esteli a try. It is a product under Drew Estate, but the only one without any infusion or leaf processing. It's probably the closest non-Cuban I've had. Had some people make the switch over to these and they enjoy them. Price is around $10 depending on if your local shop jacks up the price.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #444/500 (For Sale)
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited - Acquired 9/15/12
chutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
AznBRZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutrain View Post
There are technically several grades of Cuban cigars. The best of the best are usually given to government officials of Cuba. Then the next round goes to countries with good relations with Cuba. Generally the European countries. Spain being one of the best. After that the rest of the world gets mediocre ones. Paying $30 or more doesn't guarantee a good one unfortunately.
There are quite a few reputable dealers around the world and I'm pretty sure that they all get quality products. I doubt that Partagas PSD4's would vary in quality between what's shipped to Switzerland or Hong Kong. Spain getting the best smokes makes absolutely no sense. What'd I'd like to know is why anyone would be paying $30 for a cuban that wasn't Edicion Limitada as there are VERY few cigars at that price range in general.

Quote:
In my opinion, some of the best cigars coming out are from Nicaragua. One of the up and coming regions that have very similar conditions to Cuba. Many manufactures have been moving and setting up their factories in Nicaragua, especially in the Esteli region. If you look at the top 25 lists that are floating around from any magazines or online reviews, you will see a good number of top rated are from Nicaragua.
The only Nicaraguan cigars I like are Padron 4000 maduros and Padron 40th Anni torps in maduro. Otherwise, I'm a Dominican fan with Davidoff Diademas, Puros, and 2000 being my choice sticks. Fuente Sungrown Hemingways are pretty good too, along with 858 Rosado.

Quote:
Going back to Cubans, I would rather have two $15 sticks from Nicaragua or DR, hell some of the $8-12 range sticks are amazing, than spend $30 and hopefully get a good Cuban. I've had my share of Cubans, but strangely enough the best ones I've had are the Cohiba Siglos that I got from China.

The last couple of good ones I've had are:
Viaje Zombie SuperShot
Viaje Zombie Green with Criollo wrapper
Intemperance BA Breach of the Peace

I run a shop and lounge, so if anyone needs any advice just let me know.
Siglo 6 is my favorite Cohiba(only because I've never had a Sublime or DC, yet), but if that's the price you're paying, somebody is ripping you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutrain View Post
Give the Herrera Esteli a try. It is a product under Drew Estate, but the only one without any infusion or leaf processing. It's probably the closest non-Cuban I've had. Had some people make the switch over to these and they enjoy them. Price is around $10 depending on if your local shop jacks up the price.
I actually don't smoke cigars anymore, but thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
AznBRZer

Quote:
They were real, real expensive. One of the ways to tell a fake in Mexico is if it comes in a glass tube in one of the tourist shops. Or at least that's what we were warned to stay away from. I have one left that I was able to sneak in, maybe I need to do a re-test this weekend to verify.
You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get a fake. I tell everyone I know that goes somewhere and mentions cubans to let me know and I'll point them in the right direction. You'd be surprised, or not, at how many seemingly legit businesses are selling fakes. Just because you're paying $20USD for a cigar in a nice hotel doesn't mean it's the genuine article.

I used to be big into cigars...like REALLY BIG into them and a total cigar snob.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Raven 6

Quote:
You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get a fake. I tell everyone I know that goes somewhere and mentions cubans to let me know and I'll point them in the right direction. You'd be surprised, or not, at how many seemingly legit businesses are selling fakes. Just because you're paying $20USD for a cigar in a nice hotel doesn't mean it's the genuine article.

I used to be big into cigars...like REALLY BIG into them and a total cigar snob.
I could tell you were pretty serious into them, and probably a snob.lol I'm an occasional cigar smoker (3-5 a week), I'm not into one big name or the other and try different one's from time to time. But as I was saying in the first post, Drew Estates Dirt Torpedo's are probably one of my favorite, but make suggestions that we can find and afford, I'm all for learning more. As for the Cubans, I am pretty sure they were real, or at least I hope they were.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
AznBRZer

Quote:
I could tell you were pretty serious into them, and probably a snob.lol I'm an occasional cigar smoker (3-5 a week), I'm not into one big name or the other and try different one's from time to time. But as I was saying in the first post, Drew Estates Dirt Torpedo's are probably one of my favorite, but make suggestions that we can find and afford, I'm all for learning more. As for the Cubans, I am pretty sure they were real, or at least I hope they were.
I find that the best values in quality mixed with price are Padron Londres, Cabiguan Petites, and Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Chateau Fuente. All around $5. But these are just my tastes.
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
tdoggy57

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about cigars. Used to smoke a lot of weed but Ive stopped. Interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Why do you guys smoke cigars?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
the us border gets stupid anal the instant you say you bought cigars. only time i've ever had to go in for secondary.
Yikes that's no good. Come and stay for a while, Toronto is nice...
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote