follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #15
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports View Post
If you flash a stock ROM with EcuTek, the ECU will no longer be locked and the dealer will be able to flash updates, etc. You will also be able to flash other tunes from other solutions as well.

It would seem your car is already tuned, why not stay with the tune/setup it has, since the bulk of the tuning investment is already done?

You will need an EcuTek cable kit (Cable and Dongle) to flash back to stock and/or data log and tune further. You could visit a local EcuTek dealer to check it out/flash it, buy an EcuTek cable kit, or even borrow someone's kit. The kits can be shared. The cable kit includes the cable, dongle, and advanced software for flashing, advanced data logging and graphing, and tuning. See here: http://www.brz-parts.com/cms-ecu-cab.html

- Bob
Hi Bob-- If an Ecutek'd licensed ECU had it software updated by the dealership, the license would be overwritten/lost correct? This would require that the user show proof of dealership work to their tuner. The tuner would then send them another license and get reimbursed by Ecutek. Having been an Ecutek tuner myself for so many years, this is how I remember it. Perhaps the process has changed?
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #16
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Because when you flash with Ecutek, the ECU is usually locked and prohibits flashing with any other device (even the factory diagnostic tool). At that point onwards, only an Ecutek cable can flash the ECU.
You only need to a cable. There's no trip to an EcuTek tuner involved. Anyone with EcuTek has the stock ROM to flash back in and make that trip if they want to. Once the stock file is back on anything can be used to flash the ECU. Your wording seems to incorrectly convey that the ECU is permanently locked. You left out the important part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Hi Bob-- If an Ecutek'd licensed ECU had it software updated by the dealership, the license would be overwritten/lost correct? This would require that the user show proof of dealership work to their tuner. The tuner would then send them another license and get reimbursed by Ecutek. Having been an Ecutek tuner myself for so many years, this is how I remember it. Perhaps the process has changed?
This is no more complicated then sending a cell phone picture of a receipt. It is a completely painless and easy process that takes us all of two minutes to do and is turned around within a business day. I'm not sure why you had such a tough time with it but we have done it dozens of times without any issues.

Also lets not forget the countless people whose tunes we updated when we had the new revision before the local Subaru dealer. Unless there updating the firmware on a component aside from the main engine controller (i.e. ABS module which isn't locked anyway), there is no need to go to the dealer to get an ECU update when you use EcuTek.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #17
not_sure

Drives: 14 Firestorm Monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lets not forget i have no receipt or documentation. The car was purchased with no info from the previous owner. The dealership got the car from another dealer in sanford, nc.
not_sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #18
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Is the car warrantied still? Tell the dealer the car is doing weird things when you downshift and maybe theyll replace your ECU for you and you'll be back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
not_sure

Maybe, i havent had a good experience with the dealer. Ill give the service manager a call tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #20
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_sure View Post
Lets not forget i have no receipt or documentation. The car was purchased with no info from the previous owner. The dealership got the car from another dealer in sanford, nc.
i am sure each ecutek licience number is unique so if yu get a cable or take it to ecutek tuner you can read the ecutek licience info from your ecu so you wont need doco.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
not_sure (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #21
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
I bought a 14 firestorm monogram frs in june..used 1600miles, but a cpo car..
By "CPO" do you mean certified Pre-owned?
Did you buy it from the Scion dealer?

If so, then you shoudl take it back and complain profusely that they gave you a car with a non-factory tune on it.
If you can get them to admit it was their mistake, then they would have to fix it. And would probably extend your warranty instead of putting it in your record as a negative thing if they were to discover it later.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (02-28-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #22
not_sure

Yea it was a scion dealer, why would i complain. I was going to buy an oft, but already having the ecutek tune makes me go a different route..same end to a means
Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #23
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yea it was a scion dealer, why would i complain. I was going to buy an oft, but already having the ecutek tune makes me go a different route..same end to a means

Because in your OP you stated you wanted an OFT. You can't put thenOFT on an ECUTek locked tune, so we have you the advice to complain to the dealer that you've got some funky ECU mods that they should remove by reflashing or replacing the ECU.

If, on the other hand, you actually want to keep ECUTek, then just buy the cable/dongle and a tune as the ECUTek tuners suggest. I thought you needed the dongle associated to the license on the car, I guess not.

Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #24
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:
Glad you mentioned that. With an EcuTek cable, you can connect and grab the license info from the ECU. Take a photo or screen capture. No visit to an EcuTek dealer needed. That would be the documentation you need to replace the license if lost.
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Circuit Motorsports For This Useful Post:
not_sure (02-26-2015), wparsons (03-18-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 AM   #25
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
I thought you needed the dongle associated to the license on the car, I guess not.
They are independent of each other. The dongle is just the software license for the laptop/computer enabling ProECU to run. You can key tunes to a specific dongle ID so they can't be shared and viewed by another dongle, but the license for the ECU just allows it to be flashed & logged by any laptop running ProECU.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 AM   #26
kombatlion
Life to short to be slow!

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
You only need to a cable. There's no trip to an EcuTek tuner involved. Anyone with EcuTek has the stock ROM to flash back in and make that trip if they want to. Once the stock file is back on anything can be used to flash the ECU. Your wording seems to incorrectly convey that the ECU is permanently locked. You left out the important part.

This is no more complicated then sending a cell phone picture of a receipt. It is a completely painless and easy process that takes us all of two minutes to do and is turned around within a business day. I'm not sure why you had such a tough time with it but we have done it dozens of times without any issues.

Also lets not forget the countless people whose tunes we updated when we had the new revision before the local Subaru dealer. Unless there updating the firmware on a component aside from the main engine controller (i.e. ABS module which isn't locked anyway), there is no need to go to the dealer to get an ECU update when you use EcuTek.
Mike do you know if there are instructions on how to flash back to factory setting?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #27
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I bought a 14 firestorm monogram frs in june..used 1600miles, but a cpo car. The trans was trashed (6mt). Dealer replaced, no issues. Noticed soon after the car rev matched durring downshifts, thought it was normal lol. Now being better informed, the car definitely has a ecutek tune, not the racerom. Now to my question wid dem tax dollaz I want a OFT. Will the oft see the ecutek rom as my stock rom, can i even use the oft (ive been told ecutek locks the rom), does oft support auto blip rev matching and all the other goodies that ecutek has and how do the compare. Sorry for the shitty sentence structure..im on my phone.
If you were closer to me I would help you out but I am up north in CT.
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #28
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
How about we put out a call to all twin owners in the OP's area and see if we can't help him out. Find the right file to reload and send him on his way.
I'm in Savannah, a little far, by if needed I'll grab the cable and my laptop and go on up. I'm sure there is someone closer though.
Let's help a guy out.

FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FastWhite For This Useful Post:
not_sure (03-08-2015), Strife26 (03-07-2015)