follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Diagnose my Civic no start

I know it's not a classy thread like the new MR2 but I'm out of ideas...

2000 Civic EX. Intermittent no start. Died while driving today. Crank, no start, fuel pump primes, has spark, previously tested no fuel injector "spark" but the main relay has been replaced. No codes. Been fighting this for months

New parts: most of the distributor (Sparks fine), plugs, wires, fuel filter, main relay, crank sensor, used ECM.

Any ideas?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sounds to me like the fuel pump dying.

Some what simple fix. At lest that's my guess.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-18-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Sounds to me like the fuel pump dying.

Some what simple fix. At lest that's my guess.
Pump primes, pressure tested previously but not in this instance
Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Mr.ac

Yeah a failing fuel pump can prime itself, but it can't keep it running after a while.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
Ashikabi

Quote:
Yeah a failing fuel pump can prime itself, but it can't keep it running after a while.
There any way to test it short of replacing and hoping it works? The problem is intermittent so that seems unlikely. Every time I work on it the car will run for a couple weeks then die again.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #6
Mr.ac

I'm sure there is a tool out there.
Most common is with super duper scan tool with real time analysis.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Ashikabi

Quote:
I'm sure there is a tool out there.
Most common is with super duper scan tool with real time analysis.
I don't have anything that fancy but I wouldn't feel bad about taking it somewhere if I thought it would work. Will show the necessary information in a car this old that won't start to begin with?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,432 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
There any way to test it short of replacing and hoping it works? The problem is intermittent so that seems unlikely. Every time I work on it the car will run for a couple weeks then die again.
Well, if you are ok removing it for a bench test, you could put it in a bucket of gas hook up some test tube with a nozzle to add some pressure to the output and run it for a bit, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Could it also be a grounding problem?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #9
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Well, if you are ok removing it for a bench test, you could put it in a bucket of gas hook up some test tube with a nozzle to add some pressure to the output and run it for a bit, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Could it also be a grounding problem?
I could certainly do that. I don't have a way to test the pressure though. I thought it was grounds too but that is a big no, unless it's a ground somewhere outside the engine bay.

Removing the engine wire harness currently to inspect for damage.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
When it's having an issue are there any codes?

To me this actually sounds like a bad ECM but you already tried that. Had an accord fail exactly the same.

Did you replace the igniter when you did the dist parts?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
When it's having an issue are there any codes?

To me this actually sounds like a bad ECM but you already tried that. Had an accord fail exactly the same.

Did you replace the igniter when you did the dist parts?
No codes. Igniter, coil, rotor, and cap were all replaced. ECM was a "tested good" eBay unit. It's possible it's failing but seems unlikely it would fail exactly like my original one. I can switch them out again if I need to
Old 04-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #12
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
If the car died while driving then that sounds like fuel cut or electrical. The only thing you haven't replaced is the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. You could attempt to diagnose those.

It would be nice to understand how this intermittent problem manifests and resolves. Had you had intermittent problems starting it then it died while driving and since then it hasn't started, or is it still intermittent, in that, it had problems starting then recently died while driving and now it is driving, but still having intermittent problems starting? What was it like when it had problems starting? Was it not cranking; or was it cranking, but it was a dry crank; or was it hiccupping/choking like it wanted to start, but was low on air or fuel or the spark wasn't hitting all cylinders evenly? When it died while driving, was it during acceleration or cruising or idling? Did it just cut out and all the lights went to startup or did it lose power and/or bog out then die?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If the car died while driving then that sounds like fuel cut or electrical. The only thing you haven't replaced is the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. You could attempt to diagnose those.

It would be nice to understand how this intermittent problem manifests and resolves. Had you had intermittent problems starting it then it died while driving and since then it hasn't started, or is it still intermittent, in that, it had problems starting then recently died while driving and now it is driving, but still having intermittent problems starting? What was it like when it had problems starting? Was it not cranking; or was it cranking, but it was a dry crank; or was it hiccupping/choking like it wanted to start, but was low on air or fuel or the spark wasn't hitting all cylinders evenly? When it died while driving, was it during acceleration or cruising or idling? Did it just cut out and all the lights went to startup or did it lose power and/or bog out then die?
Dry crank, no sputter at all. Hasn't started since it died while driving.

Previous intermittent no start: crank, no sputter. When it finally did start, it was like nothing had ever happened. Wouldn't even know it had been"broken". Drove fine, parked fine, may or may not start next time I try to drive it.

I checked fuel pressure a while back during a no start and it checked fine on fuel pump prime. I don't own a gauge so I never checked any other time.

When it died, engine shut down at cruise. Power APPEARED to be constant but if everything blinked off for half a second I probably couldn't have noticed (no radio or headlights etc to indicate power failure). It was running, then off. No sputter or loss in torque/horsepower. Just off.

I have not retested fuel injectors for pulse since I replaced the main relay or crank sensor
Old 04-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Dry crank, no sputter at all. Hasn't started since it died while driving.

Previous intermittent no start: crank, no sputter. When it finally did start, it was like nothing had ever happened. Wouldn't even know it had been"broken". Drove fine, parked fine, may or may not start next time I try to drive it.

I checked fuel pressure a while back during a no start and it checked fine on fuel pump prime. I don't own a gauge so I never checked any other time.

When it died, engine shut down at cruise. Power APPEARED to be constant but if everything blinked off for half a second I probably couldn't have noticed (no radio or headlights etc to indicate power failure). It was running, then off. No sputter or loss in torque/horsepower. Just off.

I have not retested fuel injectors for pulse since I replaced the main relay or crank sensor

This sounds like it is all electrical. The bitch of it is diagnosing.

If you crank the motor with a pulled spark plug and see it sparking, and if you have replaced everything in that category then you know you are good. What do the spark plugs look like? Are they dry or soaked with fuel?

If you have fuel delivery then it should hiccup at minimal. I don't know if spraying some fuel in the intake manifold like spraying fuel down a carburetor to help get it going would be worth a try. If it was an individual injector that was the problem then it seems like it would hiccup as well, but you are having a dry crank. If there is a failure on the injector side then it would have to be further upstream and not at individual injectors unless they all got fried or failed at the same time--unlikely. Could you use a multimeter to make sure you have power going to your fuel injectors? If not then work backwards until you find power.