follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
DIY 86 Nur Spec Rear Spat

Since there doesn't seem to be a DIY guide anywhere on installing this kit, I figured I might as well figure it out and make one to supplement the overly simplified one page print out that is included with the kit. I also chose to not remove the rear bumper, so this guide will show that.

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage or injuries caused by following this guide. Your rear bumper will also have a total of 6 permanent holes should you ever remove the spats.

Tools and material needed:
-flat head screw driver
-Phillips screw driver
-socket wrench with 10mm socket
-drill
-narrow drill bit
-1.75" hole saw
-jack and stands
-wheel chocks
-painter's tape
-safety glasses
-rubbing alcohol/IPA
-microfiber towel

Onto the guide.

Before picture:

Step 1:
Don your safety glasses and chock the front wheels.

Step 2:
Raise and set the rear of the car on stands.

Step 3:
Remove rear wheels.

Step 4:
Tape off this area of the rear bumper.

Step 5:
Crawl under the rear bumper and look at the corner. You will see these two plastic push rivets. Remove these two. You won't be able to access the top of them, so I just gently pushed them open and then pushed them out. They'll fall behind, but don't worry, you'll be able to get them later.

Step 6:
Using the flat head screw driver, pop these two plastic push rivets, and remove.

Step 7:
Look up at the rear side of the rear wheel well, and pop and remove these two push rivets.

Step 8:
Grab the huge plastic piece (the bumper support with that small diffuser fin on the bottom) those rivets were installed on, and gently wiggle it out.

Step 9:
Look at the area of the rear bumper that is now showing. You will see 3 large circles, with two smaller circles within each. The outer circle measures at 2 inches, and the inner circle is 1.75 inches. The smallest circle in the middle is your guide hole. Take a small drill bit and drill out that guide hole.

Step 10:
After drilling the 3 guide holes, take your 1.75" hole saw, and drill out the required holes. My hole saw has a guide bit in the middle, so I was able to drill the holes from the outside of the bumper, opposed to the cramped space behind. Remove tape when finished.

Step 11:
Take one of the brackets and slide them into the holes' top sides. You'll have to keep the guide on the back end behind the bumper.

This is the gap where the brackets would slide into the bumper.
https://i.imgur.com/O5SaWIH.jpg

Will look like this once slid into place.

Take note of the rear guides behind the bump. The horizontal tab goes over the bumper, and the vertical tab should match up shapes to the bumper and sit in front.

Step 12:
I forgot to take a picture of this, but you can kind of see it in the picture directly above. Take the corresponding plastic push rivets (bag 8 I believe), and push into the 3 holes on the bottom of the bracket and into the bumper. I actually just used one of these rivets for the middle, and reused the factory rivets from step 6.

Step 13:
Using the supplied self tapping screws and a Phillips screw driver, carefully screw them into the bracket and through the bumper and into the nut behind. There are three and will look like this when finished.

Step 14:
Using a microfiber towel and some rubbing alcohol, wipe off the area 1.5 to 2 inches above the top of the bracket. Wait for the alcohol to evaporate.

Step 15:
Grab the spat for the side you're working on, and work it into place. I first put on the front edge over the end of the bumper, and worked my way back. Use a bit of force to snap it into place. It will sit very snug. Just make sure the textured portion of the spat lines up with the textured portion of the bumper. Also, make sure this tab gets inserted into the corresponding hole on the bracket.

Step 16:
Using the rivets from bag 8, lock in the bottom of the rear spat onto the bracket. There are 3.

Step 17:
I forgot to take a picture of this step. Take the smaller rivets from bag 10 and lock the rear spat into place at the end of the bumper. There are two rivets.

Step 18:
Take the bumper support that you removed at the beginning, and reverse the steps to put it back on. You'll first have to remove the plastic rivets you installed on the bottom of the bracket. Also remember that the the piece goes behind the rear fender liner. Install all plastic rivets that were removed earlier.

Step 19:
Remove the tape cover and press down onto the spat for at least a minute.

If you try doing this before step 18, the bumper will flex and cave, making it difficult and also potentially damaging the bumper retaining clips.

Step 20:
Repeat steps 5 through 19 for the other side.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-23-2023), EndlessAzure (01-14-2022)
Old 03-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

The following steps are for the center piece.

Step 21:
Crawl back under the bumper and look below the rear fog light/reverse light assembly. Locate these 6 plastic rivets (each side will have 3). Remove all 6. The 4 smaller ones are very weird, and break easily. I think 5 of mine broke, but they get replaced anyway.

Step 22:
The smaller, weird rivets from step 21 hold these support in place. One for the left and one for the right side. Remove and store away. I tried reusing them, but could not get the rivet to lock in. So I'm assuming they are not reused.

Step 23:
Install these brackets into the bumper, one for the left and one for the right. Make sure you're putting in the correct bracket into the correct side. They really install one way anyway.

Step 24:
Grab the center piece, and slide this portion over the bumper below the the rear fog light. It should hold itself into place once slid in all the way.

Step 25:
Grab the bolts from bag 12, and hand tight them enough to allow some play. You might have to use one hand to hold down the brackets you inserted in step 23.

Step 26:
Grab the small push rivets from bag 9, and install in these 4 locations (where the rivets from step 21 were removed).

Step 27:
Grab 2 push rivet from bag 8, and install them here, one on each side. I actually just reused the factory push rivet.

Step 28:
Bolt down the bolts from step 25 using a 10mm socket wrench.

Step 29:
Grab the covers in bag 6 and 7, and snap them into place starting with the most rearward tabs.

Step 30:
Install the wheels and lower the car off the jacks.

Step 31:
Enjoy the new look of your zenki twin!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-23-2023), EndlessAzure (01-14-2022), MemphisR (04-02-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the write up! It's really easy to follow and those spats look amazing! Where did you purchase them from?

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (04-20-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Looks really good too, nice job.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Thanks for the write up! It's really easy to follow and those spats look amazing! Where did you purchase them from?
Sorry for the late reply. No problem, glad I was able to contribute to the forum.

I purchased the kit from Black Hawk Japan, who I ordered the TRD front lip and side skirts from as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Looks really good too, nice job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
JeremyR

Nice man, the car is looking great!

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
Old 04-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Nice man, the car is looking great!
Thanks! Different from when you saw it on that one Alice cruise from a couple years back. haha.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
JeremyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Thanks! Different from when you saw it on that one Alice cruise from a couple years back. haha.

It's time for another drive! I gotta see it in person!

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
It's time for another drive! I gotta see it in person!
Work is back to being crazy, but I'll try to make the one Jonah mentioned for the 27th.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (04-21-2019)