follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Daver

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wire OEM Backup Cam?

Hi Guys,

I did a trunk swap, and I'd like to wire up the backup cam into my 15 that did not come with a cam.

I already repinned the harness that comes off the trunk to feed the License plate lights and the trunk release. This has left me 4 wires all related to the camera, and using this 2017 diagram I found I have identified them as

Yellow - CB+
Brown - CGND
Sky Blue - CV -
Orange - CV+

I have pulled the head unit, and found the harness that is meant for the Camera (has only 1 grey wire coming out of it) I would like to splice into the 4 wire mentioned above, and then pin into the head unit connector. ANyone know if I can do this? and Anyone know which ports on the connector correlate to the wires I mentioned? **Or** anyone have a pic or post that shows a 17+ head unit cam harness I can use to identify wire position?

Thanks!
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
Daver

Welp, Looks like I did not dive deep enough into google, I think What I need is here, Just in case anyone else is ever looking.

http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16p-operation.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daver For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-19-2019), po35042 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
hansiii

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You have a pre-facelift, right?
Because I also have the problem on my 2018 facelift and unfortunately can't find a solution
hansiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
Daver

If by pre face-lift you mean a 2015 yes. I finally got it to work, but It was a process. If it helps anyone else here is what I did...

After installing the new trunk I realized the harnesses in the trunk were different. using a wiring diagram easily found on the fourms I de-pinned the Harness from the both trunks, and repinned the New trunk, with the old harness. This took care of the Trunk latch opener and the license plate lights, However this left me with the 4 wires that power the backup cam system.

I identified these wires and labeled them, and left hanging.

Now to pull the signals from my existing head unit I grabbed this adapter off amazon.

Thanks to user Nick I finally found the wiring diagram for the 16 pin that goes into the Head unit . -
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB34 View Post
How are the wires hooked up on that 16 pin connector? If I'm remembering correctly, they connect the parking brake to ground and do a bypass on the signal.

Using the above info I was able to determine that these 4 wires on the left would be the ones I was dealing with to run camera. ( I left nearly all the wires inrtact though just in case)

I labeled 4 long wires at each end, to match up with my labels in the trunk, then cut and stripped the 4 from the harness. I spliced them into the correct position and soldered them all up, then heatshrink.

I also Snipped off and capped the Yellow Male video connector, as that signal was already provided in the harness from the head unit.

(There is also a supply 6v+ single red wire coming from the harness. I had to clip it, and cap the end with shrinkwrap as it would inadvertently contact some bare metal behind the HU and that would kill the camera feed)

Next I unplugged the 16pin from my head unit (the one that has a single grey wire) and plugged that into the amazon harness that I just soldered. Then Plugged that harness directly into the head unit.

Now I ran the 4 long wires (remember they were labeled at both ends) all the way back to the trunk. I followed the many videos online about running wires in the 86. A $2.99 trim puller set from harbor fright was my best friend here..

Finally, one at a time I snipped the excess wire, then matched up my labels, and soldered in the trunk each wire. This was the toughest part, just because soldering in the trunk is hard enough, not to mention the wires themselves were short and closely bunched to begin with. This is a poor pic, and ultimately I cleaned up and zip tied the install nicely.

After that It was as simple as putting trim back on, and It is good to go. I Should mention I have only just taught myself to Solder (adding the valenti 3rd brakelight to this car) so I am by no means any expert, and I was able to handle it, just go slow.

The one problem is: 2015 head units broadcast parking lines (cannot be turned off in options)

2017 Head units do not, but 2017 OEM cams DO show parking lines. As a work around I just used the head unit options to get the lines as close together as I could. It is still a bit offset, but I can live with it. Some cams have a small wire you can snip to get rid of the in-cam park lines, but I did not see on this one. I could also swap out the cam itself with a non-line cam if it really starts to bother me.

So Viola! A stupid complicated answer to a problem that shouldn't be so hard... lol

Last edited by Daver; 06-14-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanks for the info. I have been looking in to this lately. So what you did is basically build one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverse-Bac...ss!23032!US!-1
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
Thanks for the info. I have been looking in to this lately. So what you did is basically build one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverse-Bac...ss!23032!US!-1
No not really, That looks like the same Item i bought off Amazon. What I did was use that item to make connecting to he head unit easier...

Because I was having a hard time sourcing the exact pins that Toyotarubu uses, so just pinning into the existing HU harness was a no go, And I couldn't find a 2017+ OEM harness, therefore my only option was to splice into existing. And If I am going to solder and splice at the head unit end, I'd rather take the chance of messing up the $20 aftermarket harness (then I could try again on a new one) rather than trash my OEM harness (which it seems they only like to sell as a complete wiring kit, triple digit price)

So kinda what I did was take that aftermarket harness, and hardwire it directly into an OEM backup cam, as opposed to the aftermarket cams it may be more designed for.

I know that is not really worded the clearest, but I hope it makes sense.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
CoolHandMoss

Ahhh no I get you now. I didn't realize quite what I was looking at in all the pictures. Thanks for writing that up. I feel much better about doing it now.

What camera did you use?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
Daver

I used the OEM factory installed camera that comes with a 2017 BRZ. I was actually just doing the trunk swap (onto my 2015) for the ascetics of the spoiler when I realized.... hey, there is a backup cam already mounted on this trunk... I wanna make that thing work!

If you are in a 2013 though, I am pretty sure that factory HU sends Parking lines, so look for a camera that allows you to disable the park lines. (the 2017 OEM cam does not allow you to disable)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #9
CoolHandMoss

I'm actually in a 2015 BRZ now. I was previously in a 2013. So i don't think I'll have that issue.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:16 AM   #10
Daver

I am also in a 2015, the HU in it sends parking lines on top of the OEM cam. the double dosent bother me too much, I was able to use HU options to get the awfully close.