follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
wanteating

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Subaru, homelink, and liftmaster realy need to step up their game

Just want to share my experience in case someone else meet the same problem.

Moved into a new house with a relatively new garage door opener installed, but it just won't work with the homelink on my 2013 BRZ. I am pretty sure that I did every step right, but the homelink just won't learn the signal from my remote.

Called homelink, they only claimed that these systems are compatible (although all the info I gathered on internet, including this site, suggests there is a known compatibility issue) and asked you to follow the instruction again (although you have done it over 10 times).

After a lot of conversation, the representative was finally convinced that my steps are correct. Then she put the blame on my remote, which is the standard package with this opener according to Liftmaster website, and asked me to change my remote (893LM) to 893MAX. HTH can this help!? Not going to spend another 20-30 dollars for another frustrating result. But if it's true, then shame on Liftmaster doesn't include 893MAX in their package.

They have a site, http://bridge.chamberlain.com/#/intro, supposed to let you check the compatibility, but this site is a junk as no matter what information I put it, it will show compatible. Don't waste your time on it as there is no value to reference.

Very frustrated with the service I got from homelink, no one wants to take the action/responsibility with a valid customer issue.

Opener brand: Liftmaster
Opener Model: 8365-267
Remote Model: 893LM
Keypad Model: 877M
Date of installation: 3/19/2015
wanteating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanteating View Post
Just want to share my experience in case someone else meet the same problem.

Moved into a new house with a relatively new garage door opener installed, but it just won't work with the homelink on my 2013 BRZ. I am pretty sure that I did every step right, but the homelink just won't learn the signal from my remote.

Called homelink, they only claimed that these systems are compatible (although all the info I gathered on internet, including this site, suggests there is a known compatibility issue) and asked you to follow the instruction again (although you have done it over 10 times).

After a lot of conversation, the representative was finally convinced that my steps are correct. Then she put the blame on my remote, which is the standard package with this opener according to Liftmaster website, and asked me to change my remote (893LM) to 893MAX. HTH can this help!? Not going to spend another 20-30 dollars for another frustrating result. But if it's true, then shame on Liftmaster doesn't include 893MAX in their package.

They have a site, http://bridge.chamberlain.com/#/intro, supposed to let you check the compatibility, but this site is a junk as no matter what information I put it, it will show compatible. Don't waste your time on it as there is no value to reference.

Very frustrated with the service I got from homelink, no one wants to take the action/responsibility with a valid customer issue.

Opener brand: Liftmaster
Opener Model: 8365-267
Remote Model: 893LM
Keypad Model: 877M
Date of installation: 3/19/2015
Want to sell the homelink mirror?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I believe i used the 893LM to program my homelink mirror, I do have a different opener (Circa 2001).

Have you reset the Homelink Mirror? (Press the 1st and 3rd button for 20 seconds)

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Hold both the handheld transmitter button and the HomeLink button you would like to program until the HomeLink flashes slowly then rapidly (then release both buttons)
3. Press and hold the HomeLink button you just programmed. If the garage door opens/closes then programming is complete. If it does not then proceed to step 4.
4. Get a ladder and press and release the "learn" button on the back of your garage door motor head
5. Within 30 seconds get back into your vehicle and press and release the HomeLink button you just programmed up to 3 times or until your garage door activates. Programming is complete.

Are you able to try programming another garage door or homelink device? Maybe a faulty mirror.

EDIT:take a look here too, this one says you should hold down the homelink button, but press the remote several times (holding for 2 seconds each time) http://www.homelink.com/program/inst.../0/0/usenglish

Last edited by Imrac; 09-12-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added Link
Imrac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imrac For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
thunderinokra

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Garage
It looks like you probably need the Homelink Compatibility Bridge, since the Homelink system in our cars is the older technology and the new garage doors have a new security measure that makes it a little more difficult to fool them. I fought with this a year or so ago when my parents replaced their garage door opener and we couldn't program her mirror to it.
thunderinokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
wanteating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrac View Post
I believe i used the 893LM to program my homelink mirror, I do have a different opener (Circa 2001).

Have you reset the Homelink Mirror? (Press the 1st and 3rd button for 20 seconds)

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Hold both the handheld transmitter button and the HomeLink button you would like to program until the HomeLink flashes slowly then rapidly (then release both buttons)
3. Press and hold the HomeLink button you just programmed. If the garage door opens/closes then programming is complete. If it does not then proceed to step 4.
4. Get a ladder and press and release the "learn" button on the back of your garage door motor head
5. Within 30 seconds get back into your vehicle and press and release the HomeLink button you just programmed up to 3 times or until your garage door activates. Programming is complete.

Are you able to try programming another garage door or homelink device? Maybe a faulty mirror.

EDIT:take a look here too, this one says you should hold down the homelink button, but press the remote several times (holding for 2 seconds each time) http://www.homelink.com/program/inst.../0/0/usenglish
Thanks, Imrac. I failed at step 2, the red indicator will only flash slowly and never rapidly. I also tried the method in your link too but no luck. It's a good point about the faulty mirror as I haven't got a chance to try another garage door opener, will update this post if I do get a chance to.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
wanteating

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderinokra View Post
It looks like you probably need the Homelink Compatibility Bridge, since the Homelink system in our cars is the older technology and the new garage doors have a new security measure that makes it a little more difficult to fool them. I fought with this a year or so ago when my parents replaced their garage door opener and we couldn't program her mirror to it.
Thanks, thunderinokra. Yes, I've reached to the same conclusion based on my research. There seems a new security mechanism, security+ 2.0, will cause issues.

The point is that if homelink admit their product needs to be upgraded (with the bridge you mentioned), they'll give it up for free ($7 for shipping) as they should. Otherwise they will charge you the retail value of the bridge plus shipping. As a customer with a good faith on the products, I feel it's unfair for me to purchase the bridge on my own expense.

However, I failed to convince Homelink that my homelink is not compatible with my garage door opener as the their system (mentioned in my post above) suggests they are compatible, which I found ridiculous because it seems no matter what information I put it, it will always return compatible as the result.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Sovran

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ-L 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've recently had almost exactly the same experience. The various sources of documentation don't agree with each other, and it's not a problem we should have to deal with anyway given that the new security standard came out long ago (2005-ish, I think). That's how the parts world works, it seems.

I'm going to try one more time with the Canadian instructions, just in case, but I suspect I'll end up buying the Compatibility Bridge.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
wanteating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovran View Post
I've recently had almost exactly the same experience. The various sources of documentation don't agree with each other, and it's not a problem we should have to deal with anyway given that the new security standard came out long ago (2005-ish, I think). That's how the parts world works, it seems.

I'm going to try one more time with the Canadian instructions, just in case, but I suspect I'll end up buying the Compatibility Bridge.
Sovran, yes, it's so frustrating to deal with these representatives, I understand that they are following their books to do their jobs, but as a big company like Homelink, they need to show more courtesy to their customers. Please let me know if you have any luck with Canadian instruction, if you do, I shall give it another go although I believe that I've tried and failed.

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
That sucks. I was actually looking at maybe replacing my garage door opener with one I can use with a phone and get notifications. But if I buy a new one and my old remotes and homelink devices no longer work, not sure I want to.

I may look at getting one of the retrofitted devices.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
SpartaEvolution

Drives: NSX, G35, E36 328i racecar
I bought this for ~$25 off Amazon and, after the first one was stolen from my mailbox, the replacement they sent has worked perfectly ever since. (Note: in an '06 G35 6mt sedan )
SpartaEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpartaEvolution For This Useful Post:
Sovran (09-29-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #11
r3myx626

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited ISM
Garage
Don't use the garage remote. When I set mine up it didn't work with the remote so I went through the steps to register a new remote on the opener with the homelink mirror being what I used. I can't remember the exact process but maybe that'll help.
r3myx626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
retoocs

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So what you are saying is your new garage door opener is incompatible with you old car and they should provide upgrades for your 4+ year old car for free to work with you new garage door opener. Got it.
retoocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3myx626 View Post
Don't use the garage remote. When I set mine up it didn't work with the remote so I went through the steps to register a new remote on the opener with the homelink mirror being what I used. I can't remember the exact process but maybe that'll help.
This is what I did as well when I bought a new opener. I don't remember the brand though. I've also noticed I have to hold the homelink button for a second or two rather than just press and release or else it won't open the door.
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
Sovran

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ-L 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got the repeater (thanks for the link, SpartaEvolution), and now it finally works properly. I have the same experience as jubella2, though. I have to hold the button for a couple of seconds for it to work.

Tags
homelink, liftmaster