follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
fmsida

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Zeta Performance Intake Review/Install

Hello everybody,

I want to take some time and do a quick review on the new Zeta Performance Intake tube for the Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ. I was looking for an alternative to the actual air intake systems that have been released since the summer, and personally I couldn’t justify paying a few hundred dollars for an actual cold air intake. I notice people gain a few horsepower by just doing a drop in air filter, so I figured I would make my own intake tube plus the drop in filter. I then notice Zeta / AVO coming out with these bad boys, and I decided to jump on the Group Buy for these. I also I decided to get the intake with the inlets for the noise generator and resonator. I am one of the people that does like the sound tube, I know there are a lot of people that don’t.. but I love that sh*t. I love hearing that sound under hard acceleration; it’s almost like sweet tunes to my ears. I know there are a lot of you out there that are with me on this one, you know what I am talking about… don’t hide behind the couch. However, I also respet those of you that don’t like that and would like to clean up the engine bay… Zeta has a solution for that too…. So please, no tears.

Personally I am a huge fan of dark colors, (Black, Blue..), and not so much the pink, red, purple… However I do appreciate brands / companies that stick to their theme colors, and Zeta’s just happened to be purple. No big deal to be honest it’s different, the color sticks out in the engine bay, and it’s not an eye sore. For the price and the application, it’s worth the money.
The tube itself is sturdy, the inside diameter is about 74mm and it looks like it will handle the temperatures that will produce in the engine bay. Installation was a breeze, so breezy an 11 year could do this install. I took a few drives after wards, and I was extremely happy.

The gains were not out of this world, but you can definitely feel and hear a difference. In my 6AT the BRZ felt more responsive in the midrange, the growl is slightly lower and louder, and my self-esteem is a bit higher too. Knowing that I have one performance mod on my car, makes me feel like a true tuner, like a real champ. “You gotta pay to play”, and I.am.playing alright...

I am satisfied with my purchase, I can’t complain, and I didn’t see any negatives in this purchase or transaction. Stephen at Zeta Performance provides really good customer service, very responsive to emails, as well as very clear when it comes to the product. I will definitely do business with them again. I will be buying the radiator hose kit from them in the near future to match my PURPLE intake.

Please keep in mind that Zeta Performance are considering making this intake in red and black for all of you that are interested, but only if the interest is plenty. I will post videos and pictures of the install late today.
Enjoy,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4OPzWuOqEM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Subaru BRZ and Zeta Performance Intake Review & Install - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by fmsida; 10-01-2012 at 10:13 AM.
fmsida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fmsida For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (08-15-2013), Teeeazy (08-15-2013), texasbound972 (06-11-2013), ZetaPerformance (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
fmsida

Here are some of the pictures I took after the installation, my victory thumbs up, and another video of me driving inside. You can tell a small difference in sound and in responsiveness with the new mod. Like I said before, for the price I am extremely satisfied, and I can't complain about anything. Great customer service, an speedy shipping.

Also please keep in mind this the 2nd video I have made and edited, so it's a little amateur-ish. Please bear with me, and humor me. I hope you all enjoy, thanks for looking / watching.

Name:  top angle.jpg
Views: 2973
Size:  251.1 KB

Name:  left side.jpg
Views: 2926
Size:  235.1 KB

Name:  front side.jpg
Views: 6115
Size:  229.8 KB

Name:  Right side.jpg
Views: 3450
Size:  235.2 KB

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBfUrTGVeU&feature=plcp"]Subaru BRZ with Zeta Performance Intake - In cabin driving - YouTube[/ame]

GETS YOU SOME

Name:  victory.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  176.1 KB

Last edited by fmsida; 10-02-2012 at 12:22 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fmsida For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (08-15-2013), BRZranger (10-31-2012), ZetaPerformance (10-03-2012), zkubidu (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
drifter

Drives: truck and old car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsida View Post
[SIZE=3] Stephen at Zeta Performance provides really good customer service, very responsive to emails, as well as very clear when it comes to the product.]
This alone may entice to buy from them
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
mach330

Drives: Ultramarine frs
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good info.

Tap'd from my G-Nex
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Asia-Drift86

Drives: FT86
Very nice video ,placing my order soon. thanks
Asia-Drift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
looks super clean aside from that color. if they made it black, i'd buy
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
fmsida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia-Drift86 View Post
Very nice video ,placing my order soon. thanks
Send Stephen a message. He can help you out. I also forgot to mention that i received this part in about 4 days. California to Texas.

@Celica00 - if you're really interested in the intake in a different color, head on over to the classified section and post a reply there. Zeta are taking a poll as to how many people are interested in these with color options.
The Following User Says Thank You to fmsida For This Useful Post:
ZetaPerformance (10-01-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
fmsida

Pictures and 2nd video added into 2nd post, enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to fmsida For This Useful Post:
ZetaPerformance (10-02-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
kristo naibaho

Drives: ft 86
AFTER YOU INSTALL ZETA AIR INTAKE, DID YOU RESET YOUR ECU, TO GET THE BEST PERFORM.

I'M STILL WAITING MY ZETA ORDER ARRIVED.
kristo naibaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
fmsida

I did, however I have read that it's not necessary since the ECU adapts fairly quick. It gave me peace of mind though. You will notice better gains if you get a performance drop in filter with it.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I like the color, I think with the correct color combination it could look cool. I am a bit surprised it sounds louder, seems like the stock thin plastic would transfer more sound through it than the thicker silicon. Glad it is working good!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
fmsida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neziah View Post
I am a bit surprised it sounds louder, seems like the stock thin plastic would transfer more sound through it than the thicker silicon.
It's not significantly louder, but it is noticeable that I changed something in the engine bay. I also replaced the stock air filter with a perrin air filter that I got on sale, and that may or may not have contributed to the sound difference.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
invaliduser

Drives: 2017 86
What is the purpose of the resonator box? Is it possible to get the noisemaker port but not the resonator port with the zeta intake pipe?
invaliduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
fmsida

Quote:
Originally Posted by invaliduser View Post
What is the purpose of the resonator box? Is it possible to get the noisemaker port but not the resonator port with the zeta intake pipe?
I dont think so. I think the only options are to include the ports, or no ports. You could always plug the bottom port.

I am not quite sure wha the resonator box is for. I read somewhere in this forum what its purpose was, but I honestly cant remember why. I believe it has to do with the air flow and the delivery to the intake manifold. (but I may be wrong).

I will do some searching, and then get back on here.. unless someone knows exactly what its purpose is and post sooner than me.