follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 05-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #211
GamboaBRZ

Drives: Galaxy Blue BRZ/Takeda CAI/Mag CatB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 30,000
Make: Subaru BRZ
Miles After Recall: >1
Problems After Fix:
Brought the car in because it was having a fuel cut issue when driving over 5,000 rpm's.
Car drove great when normal driving, but when getting on it it would simply lose all power but the car would stay on and no CEL's, after a second it would work fine again. Cleaned air filter (Takeda) and gave it Chevron Techron fuel cleaner. Car still did it so I brought it in to dealer since I still have warranty. Dealer says it could be the recall so I say fix it. 5 days later I get a call that car is ready, been test driven, no stalling but needs several hundred dollars in maintentance (tires, brake fluid, ac charge etc.). I so, OK, but first I want to test drive car. I go test drive it with mechanic, first acceleration the car does the same thing bust worse than ever. Was on the gas, only about 35 mph but accelerating, then the whole things stops moving and the gas pedal doesn't work. This time the car dies, never used to, and I pull over. Try to start car but it won't. Wait a few seconds, try again and car starts. It drives normal as I head back to dealer but I don't drive it hard again. Mechanic who was driving with me says it's a fuel starvation issue, he'll diagnose and call me the next day. Three days later I get a call that I need to bring them a stock airbox and pay for fuel injector service. Dealer says mechanic is confused, he called Subaru Tech and they told him this is how to proceed.
Im bringing stock airbox to them tomorrow and told them to proceed with the injectors.
I don't have confidence that this will fix the problem, super worried. Any thoughts?

P.S.-Dealer said that the issue only seems to happen when the the car is below 200 degrees operating temperature, that it doesn't do it once it hits 200 degrees. (not sure what this means, the car does the fuel cut/stall after it's been driven for a while and plenty warm but the dealer says "that doesn't have anything to to with the operating temperature which is between 190-215 degrees")
GamboaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #212
slumlord

Drives: 2012
Hi Guys,

First post here.

Vehicle Mileage(Km): 75,000Km
Make: Toyota 86
Miles (Km) after recall: Approx 100km
Problems After Fix:

Car has not had any modifications and has been serviced ahead of schedule and has run flawlessly since I first bought it. Thought I would combine major service and valve spring recall in order to avoid having the engine being taken out twice. As soon as I got the car back from the dealers it felt a little "off" in the sense that it just did not feel as responsive as before. In addition there was a little bit of a burnt oil smell when I first started driving. I thought I was being too sensitive and felt that it would all settle down.

About a week after the service, as I was coming off the freeway, I noticed a burning smell but could not see any smoke. The engine then began to starting "pinging" and the smell became stronger. There was no loss of power but the pinging became louder and as I stopped at the lights I started noticing smoke start coming out from under the car hood--sort of like when you have a really smokey barbecue. I immediately switched off the car and prepared to leave in case a fire broke out but the smoke died down after a minute. I was about 400m from home and it was downhill so I risked it and coasted down with the motor on, there was continual "tapping" from the motor as I coasted home.

When I got home I examined the car: There was a small amount of smoke rising from the region of the right exhaust manifold, there was oil in both exhaust pipes and there was oil along the right hand side of the car. The smoke appeared to be coming from oil being heated on the exhaust manifold and there was a thin film of oil along the entire left hand side of the car. I think I was pretty close to suffering a fire like KimKongs1981's.

The dealer arranged to have the car picked up and it was taken away by flatbed to the dealers where it has been for the last three weeks. Initially I was told that a gasket had failed--wear and tear item--and that they would replace it as a goodwill gesture. Now they're saying the motor is not right and they're working on it though they are not sure when it is going to be completed.

Engine ticking noise.

slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #213
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord View Post
Hi Guys,

First post here.
Well, slumlord, welcome -

Too bad your first post had to be in this section -

Hopefully the dealership will make it right.

(your first link takes me to a 404)

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #214
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi Guys,

First post here.

Vehicle Mileage(Km): 75,000Km
Make: Toyota 86
Miles (Km) after recall: Approx 100km
Problems After Fix:

Car has not had any modifications and has been serviced ahead of schedule and has run flawlessly since I first bought it. Thought I would combine major service and valve spring recall in order to avoid having the engine being taken out twice. As soon as I got the car back from the dealers it felt a little "off" in the sense that it just did not feel as responsive as before. In addition there was a little bit of a burnt oil smell when I first started driving. I thought I was being too sensitive and felt that it would all settle down.

About a week after the service, as I was coming off the freeway, I noticed a burning smell but could not see any smoke. The engine then began to starting "pinging" and the smell became stronger. There was no loss of power but the pinging became louder and as I stopped at the lights I started noticing smoke start coming out from under the car hood--sort of like when you have a really smokey barbecue. I immediately switched off the car and prepared to leave in case a fire broke out but the smoke died down after a minute. I was about 400m from home and it was downhill so I risked it and coasted down with the motor on, there was continual "tapping" from the motor as I coasted home.

When I got home I examined the car: There was a small amount of smoke rising from the region of the right exhaust manifold, there was oil in both exhaust pipes and there was oil along the right hand side of the car. The smoke appeared to be coming from oil being heated on the exhaust manifold and there was a thin film of oil along the entire left hand side of the car. I think I was pretty close to suffering a fire like KimKongs1981's.

The dealer arranged to have the car picked up and it was taken away by flatbed to the dealers where it has been for the last three weeks. Initially I was told that a gasket had failed--wear and tear item--and that they would replace it as a goodwill gesture. Now they're saying the motor is not right and they're working on it though they are not sure when it is going to be completed.

Engine ticking noise.

Plus side... Its not just the US mechanics screwing these up anymore. Misery loves company:/

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #215
slumlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post
Plus side... Its not just the US mechanics screwing these up anymore. Misery loves company:/

As I said on the Australian forum, the fact that this is now happening in the U.S., Canada and Australia, points towards a systemic problem and not a dealership specific one. Sealant placement seems like a fiddly job that requires a fair amount of concentration. Laps in concentration leads to catastrophic consequences. They--i.e Toyota--should have thought a bit harder about how to apply the sealant so that it wouldn't have caused problem. i.e a tool or jig to assist with the job.

I'm not sure what the legal situation is like in the U.S. but I don't think that they would have a leg to stand on if they pushed their luck in the Australian courts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slumlord For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-06-2019), XtremeMaC (05-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #216
slumlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, slumlord, welcome -

Too bad your first post had to be in this section -

Hopefully the dealership will make it right.

(your first link takes me to a 404)

humfrz
I'm having problems with the link.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR4aj1Xn0jg[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slumlord For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-06-2019), XtremeMaC (05-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #217
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

As I said on the Australian forum, the fact that this is now happening in the U.S., Canada and Australia, points towards a systemic problem and not a dealership specific one. Sealant placement seems like a fiddly job that requires a fair amount of concentration. Laps in concentration leads to catastrophic consequences. They--i.e Toyota--should have thought a bit harder about how to apply the sealant so that it wouldn't have caused problem. i.e a tool or jig to assist with the job.

I'm not sure what the legal situation is like in the U.S. but I don't think that they would have a leg to stand on if they pushed their luck in the Australian courts.
In my case, it was a Subaru, at a Subaru dealership, and the gobs of silicone were not found in the system, like some of the first ones done. Over/incorrect application of sealant was definitely an issue in some cases, but I think there is something else going on, at least in my case there was.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #218
humfrz

Quote:

humfrz
Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #219
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
So just preparing for the worst case here... but depending on what I find tonight with a misfire I have it may end up being low compression on Cylinder 3.. the vin for the car still shows that it is open for the valve spring recall that has not yet been done.. my question is... if the spring already went..will Toyota still honor the recall? Any experience with this scenario here?
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #220
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post

Quote:

There is a guy from Portugal who also experienced failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
So just preparing for the worst case here... but depending on what I find tonight with a misfire I have it may end up being low compression on Cylinder 3.. the vin for the car still shows that it is open for the valve spring recall that has not yet been done.. my question is... if the spring already went..will Toyota still honor the recall? Any experience with this scenario here?
From what I understand, yes, they will. I forget where I saw that, but I remember reading it somewhere.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #221
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S

Thank you! I'll need to do a little more reading into it depending on what I find out when I get home this evening with the compression test. If its valve spring related then I'll need to see if I can have it towed up to Toyota as its no good to drive other than in and out of the garage... Crappy thing is the car isn't even registered yet so I'll need to see what the process would be with regards to that as well..
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #222
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
From what I understand, yes, they will. I forget where I saw that, but I remember reading it somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
Thank you! I'll need to do a little more reading into it depending on what I find out when I get home this evening with the compression test. If its valve spring related then I'll need to see if I can have it towed up to Toyota as its no good to drive other than in and out of the garage... Crappy thing is the car isn't even registered yet so I'll need to see what the process would be with regards to that as well..
Yes, they will, if it is the sole cause of the failure. It basically says so right in the recall as they will reimburse persons that can prove they had it fixed prior to the recall going out.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #223
NickCarmer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarmer View Post
Vehicle Mileage:104,xxx
Vehicle Make: Subaru BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed:<4,000
Symptom(s): Engine knocking, loud grinding/ticking, died
Failure:TBD
State:MA

Mine died last night on the highway. I had the recall work done exactly 2 months ago, along with a new clutch and spark plugs since they were already in there. It took them 3 weeks to do the work, when I got it back the car felt fine, but I kept it under 5K RPMS for the past 3500-4000 miles.

Brought it up to 5.5/6.5K yesterday when merging and almost immediately the usual whirr turned into a horrible grind. Felt like the drain plug fell out. The oil light came on, then check engine, then every other code. Put it in neutral and coasted to the shoulder, smelled like burnt oil and had intermittent smoke coming out once the oil cap was removed.

It currently won't turn over so I'm doing some research before taking it back to the dealer that did the recall work.
UPDATE: Dealership (different that one that did the recall) has had my car for a little over a week, found stuff in the oil pan and some passageways, I have the service manager talking with Subaru and it looks like a new engine in coming my way. However they just asked for my oil change records, which of course is a stack of autozone receipts for full synthetic and K&N filters. Shouldn't be any issue.. right?
NickCarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #224
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarmer View Post
UPDATE: Dealership (different that one that did the recall) has had my car for a little over a week, found stuff in the oil pan and some passageways, I have the service manager talking with Subaru and it looks like a new engine in coming my way. However they just asked for my oil change records, which of course is a stack of autozone receipts for full synthetic and K&N filters. Shouldn't be any issue.. right?
It shouldn't be, but you may consider recording, in a notebook, when, where and at what mileage you changed the oil.

humfrz

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring