follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AT Fluid Change?

So ive been reading around and theres not too many threads about those of us with AT's. I was wondering if there would be any benefit of switching my fluid from oem to Motul ATF. I saw that there was a MT diy for this but no AT. I read the service manual and this seems pretty doable, just some added steps that are not needed for MT. Also, I intend to change out the diff fluid and im assuming that ill be using Motul gear 300 for this, correct?
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estey View Post
So ive been reading around and theres not too many threads about those of us with AT's. I was wondering if there would be any benefit of switching my fluid from oem to Motul ATF. I saw that there was a MT diy for this but no AT. I read the service manual and this seems pretty doable, just some added steps that are not needed for MT. Also, I intend to change out the diff fluid and im assuming that ill be using Motul gear 300 for this, correct?
Probably not? A computer controls our shifting. Changing it would only prolong the life of the transmission.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
There are a few threads here that deal with the A/T. @kavanagh started Automatic Acceleration in Manual vs Auto modes, Stall/Torque Converter, SSP A960E Transmission Upgrades, @DeOppressorLiber, AT Fluid Suggestions, @Tye300, Automatic Transmission @devinclfalcons, Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler. ?? @ connor_lol,
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FastWhite For This Useful Post:
drewbot (09-09-2014), Tye300 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'd like to know the change interval? I think MT is 60k but what about AT?
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
The transmission uses Toyota WS fluid. You can use aftermarket fluids which is compatible with the WS fluid.

Somebody here posted that they used Motul ATF with their AT. I just can't find the thread. I try to change my AT fluid every 5 track days or so, but I still use the Toyota WS fluid.

I still stand on my opinion that the WS fluid doesn't like to be tracked though, it seems after 3 trackdays the the tranny does not engage as well with fresh fluid. Until I can make sure it is safe to use the motul fluid, I'll just keep using the WS.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
FastWhite

Garage
The manual and my research says change the A/T fluid at 30000 miles.
Also redline D6, Amsoil, Sustina, all state WS compatible. Motul does not but numerous,SSP, shops and individuals all use it with no adverse effects.
A member had a shop put in Redline D4 and it was NOT a good match. The shop put in the D6 once the mistake appeared. His car ran like crap.
On that note has anyone had experience with BG fluids ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
For the auto trans, I would stick with OEM fluids.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
FastWhite

Garage
In the respect of voiding the
A/T warranty, then yes stick with the WS. But members who have changed the fluid have reported smoother shifting etc.
That is also why I haven't charged out and had my fluid changed. Waiting on a little more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Estey

hmmm, well I am no longer under warranty. im going to research different fluids, but I intend to change my fluid pretty soon. I haven't done it yet and im nearing 40k. im hoping for smoother shifts and whatnot
Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
aakash

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
hmmm, well I am no longer under warranty. im going to research different fluids, but I intend to change my fluid pretty soon. I haven't done it yet and im nearing 40k. im hoping for smoother shifts and whatnot
Any issues with your transmission yet? 40k seems high, if you enjoy spirited driving typically.
aakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Drivetrain warranty is 5 years/60k in the US
Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
mweidner311

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
No one chimed in on the gear lube so YES Motul Gear 300 is what you want for that and I would absolutely do that as soon as you can. I did mine at 6k and the amount of sludge and metal shaving at that point was impressive. Its a good thing to clean that gunk out and replace it. I did feel like the drive train smoothed out a bit as well.

Good luck
mweidner311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
Estey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweidner311 View Post
No one chimed in on the gear lube so YES Motul Gear 300 is what you want for that and I would absolutely do that as soon as you can. I did mine at 6k and the amount of sludge and metal shaving at that point was impressive. Its a good thing to clean that gunk out and replace it. I did feel like the drive train smoothed out a bit as well.

Good luck
Thank you! I will be doing this asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakash View Post
Any issues with your transmission yet? 40k seems high, if you enjoy spirited driving typically.
nope, none whatsoever.. Ive been reading and a lot of people dont even change it out until around 50k. I actually should have done this sooner, but i dont think it will make a huge difference in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Drivetrain warranty is 5 years/60k in the US
forsure, I thought so but i just didnt remember. I think im just gonna take a gamble and swap the fluids anyways and see how well it performs. Like somebody said earlier, a lot of people are using Motul ATF with their ssp mods, so im probably going to do the same and see if there is any noticeable difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Estey For This Useful Post:
aakash (07-11-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
ricebox

Drives: AE86 & GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@Estey Are you going to attempt to change it out yourself?
ricebox is offline   Reply With Quote