follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
replacement oil filters

I went to my local Subaru dealer to get some replacement oil filters. What they gave me was not only a filter with a different part number but a different shape. The filter that came with the car was black and had a part number of 15208AA130. What they gave me was a filter that was blue, skinnier, taller and had a part number of 15208AA15A. The gaskets seem to line up fine and I know it fits but it looks much different in the cup-area that it is installed. I pointed out the differences to the parts guy and he said that this new filter supersedes the one that came from the factory and showed me on his computer screen. This just seems strange and wanted to see if anyone here can confirm.

Thanks,

Mike
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Subaruparts.com shows the 15208AA130 as the correct filter. There have been a number of threads on here where people have ended up with the wrong filters in their cars because the local dealer techs don't know the difference. That 15A filter is made by a different company and has gotten some rather bad reviews by people who have cut them open.

If you use Google to search this site, you'll find all the discussion you could ever want about the oil filters, including this thread specifically about Subaru of America stating that the 130 filter is the correct one:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37784
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I researched a bit about this recently, and found out that the black one is made in Japan. The blue one is perhaps made by Fram?

@extrashaky's post seems to make sense.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
I researched a bit about this recently, and found out that the black one is made in Japan. The blue one is perhaps made by Fram?
They're made by Honeywell, the same company that makes Fram filters. Fram filters are regularly derided over in the Jeep community because people have had them collapse on their 4.0L I6 engines and cause all sorts of problems. My stroker even came with a warning that the warranty would be voided if I used a Fram filter. Obviously not the same engines with the same demands, but quality is quality (or lack thereof).

If I were the OP, I would take that 15A filter back and either insist on the correct Subaru filter or switch over to Wix. I'm probably going with Wix once my "free" oil changes are over.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
They're made by Honeywell, the same company that makes Fram filters. Fram filters are regularly derided over in the Jeep community because people have had them collapse on their 4.0L I6 engines and cause all sorts of problems. My stroker even came with a warning that the warranty would be voided if I used a Fram filter. Obviously not the same engines with the same demands, but quality is quality (or lack thereof).

If I were the OP, I would take that 15A filter back and either insist on the correct Subaru filter or switch over to Wix. I'm probably going with Wix once my "free" oil changes are over.
Wow, good info there. I'll make sure to verify that the genuine Japanese Subaru filter is always installed on my incoming BRZ.

Any other part(s) that would need to be verified or confirmed within the oil change?

Texas BRZ
Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
dpesce
Young Blood

Drives: 2013 Red BRZ 2.0 Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My understanding was the first "few" BRZ came with that lil blue one you speak of. Many other Subies use that filter. The filter was changed sometime during the 2013 model year. My 2013 came with the stubbier black filter but I saw some BRZs come through my shop with the other. There are top-mount-filter Subarus that called for that filter.
dpesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The people who are anal retentive prefer the black one, the blue one is probably just fine for a regular interval on regular driving once in awhile, it's up to you. @extrashaky is spot on, I've read the same thing a few times over.

If you're really bugged out about it just return it and check the box before you leave next time, you can always hit up another Subaru OR Toyota dealership (Toyota sells the OEM black filter, it just comes in a red Toyota box) or just order online.

You can find them for like $6 on ebay or other shops, I went with Amazon which basically met or beat the dealerships by me with a 3 pack with crush washers included. These OEM filters are relatively cheap considering how high strung the motors are, if I own this thing for 100k miles that's 13-14 oil changes at reasonable intervals, I would save literally less than $20 by going cheap on the filter.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SUBARU-FORESTER-FILTER-NON-TURBO-15208AA130/dp/B00C1IM0PC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ER0Y53774A5S 7MKJ4NS"]Amazon.com: SUBARU FORESTER OIL FILTER 3PACK 2011 2.5 NON-TURBO W/CRUSH WASHER 15208AA130: Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/2013-2015-GENUINE-FILTER-SUBARU-Filters/dp/B00KQRAYIU"]Amazon.com: 2013-2015 GENUINE OIL FILTER SCION FR-S / SUBARU BRZ Set of 5 Filters: Automotive[/ame]

My post is full of mixed messages, but so are opinions on maintenance. I would go back and get the black filter. If they don't agree or won't refund go somewhere else, hell just order one online, run the blue filter for a week or two and then swap it when it arrives in the mail, oh well <$10 out the window, bring your own lunch to work once or twice next week.

Edit: tl;dr it probably doesn't matter but it's cheap insurance and peace of mind.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
illicitstylz (10-21-2014), MINOCIN (10-25-2014), Texas BRZ (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
torqueno

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The people who are anal retentive prefer the black one, the blue one is probably just fine for a regular interval on regular driving once in awhile, it's up to you. @extrashaky is spot on, I've read the same thing a few times over.

If you're really bugged out about it just return it and check the box before you leave next time, you can always hit up another Subaru OR Toyota dealership (Toyota sells the OEM black filter, it just comes in a red Toyota box) or just order online.

You can find them for like $6 on ebay or other shops, I went with Amazon which basically met or beat the dealerships by me with a 3 pack with crush washers included. These OEM filters are relatively cheap considering how high strung the motors are, if I own this thing for 100k miles that's 13-14 oil changes at reasonable intervals, I would save literally less than $20 by going cheap on the filter.

Amazon.com: SUBARU FORESTER OIL FILTER 3PACK 2011 2.5 NON-TURBO W/CRUSH WASHER 15208AA130: Automotive

Amazon.com: 2013-2015 GENUINE OIL FILTER SCION FR-S / SUBARU BRZ Set of 5 Filters: Automotive

My post is full of mixed messages, but so are opinions on maintenance. I would go back and get the black filter. If they don't agree or won't refund go somewhere else, hell just order one online, run the blue filter for a week or two and then swap it when it arrives in the mail, oh well <$10 out the window, bring your own lunch to work once or twice next week.

Edit: tl;dr it probably doesn't matter but it's cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Is there an oil filter that's better than our OEM ones? Since you mentioned the OEM filters are not that great...
torqueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueno View Post
Is there an oil filter that's better than our OEM ones? Since you mentioned the OEM filters are not that great...
Read extrashaky's post above, he is more clear than I am.

The blue oil filters manufactured by Honeywell are regarded as not as 'good' or well constructed as the black oil filters manufactured by Tokyo Roki. Both are listed in Subaru's databases as 'OEM Replacements'.

I plan on using the black Tokyo Roki filter until the car kicks the bucket and then a bit longer after that.

Edit: And for clarity I would assume that 99.99% of the time the blue Honeywell filter will perform as designed with zero issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
torqueno (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
J.C.

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Nothing wrong with the Tokyo Roki's. Toyota also has a specific oil filter for the FR-S which is a bit smaller in diameter and height then it's Subaru counterpart.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
torqueno

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Read extrashaky's post above, he is more clear than I am.

The blue oil filters manufactured by Honeywell are regarded as not as 'good' or well constructed as the black oil filters manufactured by Tokyo Roki. Both are listed in Subaru's databases as 'OEM Replacements'.

I plan on using the black Tokyo Roki filter until the car kicks the bucket and then a bit longer after that.
Thank you. Repped.
torqueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #12
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
I'd like to ask, where is the evidence that the blue Subaru filter is any worse than the black one for the average owner?

Aside from internet hearsay and circumstantial evidence, has anyone provided proof that the blue Subaru filter (used on other non-BRZ vehicles) causes any damage?

People go crazy over these things for no reason. It's like ebola for BRZs....

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #13
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I'd like to ask, where is the evidence that the blue Subaru filter is any worse than the black one for the average owner?

Aside from internet hearsay and circumstantial evidence, has anyone provided proof that the blue Subaru filter (used on other non-BRZ vehicles) causes any damage?

-alex
You could say that I am your average owner. I personally can't prove to you that the blue version causes any damage, and it very likely does a job well done.

To me, it just comes down to preference. Being a product of Japan creates that supposed extra sense of authenticity and quality to go along with where the vehicle originates from, that's all.

Texas BRZ
Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #14
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

-alex
No.

Both paper filters in metal cans with a vavle in the middle.

Just a general dislike for fram propagating.