follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FT-86 Australian price?

Now look I hate spreading rumors.. I absolutely hate it. But this article actually quoted names.
Ok so I'm in traffic at the moment and all I have is my phone, but when I get home I will try, TRY, my best to confirm this article
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257846007B294E
According to this, they quoted a Toyota Australia exec saying the car will be in the low 30000. This is good noes because 1 it means its coming to Australia and 2 its reasonable for once
Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
A public affairs manager saying
Quote:
We would like it to be in the early $30,000s. That's where we would like it to be; doesn't mean it will be there. Eighteen months away, it is a little too far out to say it will be this or it will be that.
Is not a lot different than saying they would like to give them away for free to loyal Toyota customers. Doesn't mean they will, and they even put in the it's too far away thing, so if they change they could say some BS about 'unforeseen circumstances'.

PS: Is it only cars that are ridiculously priced in Australia? I thought our (Canada's) money was pretty close to yours.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
70NYD

everything is rediculously priced in australia.. eg iphone costs over 1000, cars are AT LEAST 40% more than the states and petrol is through the roof.. but hay what can we do about it, government privatized almost everything so we are getting ripped left right and centre, and this countrys spirit is not exactly a "we will strike and fight untill we get fair game" one..

edit
i checked it out and there are a number of articles that say the same thing quoting mike breen, so im guessing that his speech at least did exist haha
but im gonna compose a letter on monday and address it to him and a few more ppl at toyota australia. cus if its anything over 40 for the base model, it will flunk..
Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
everything is rediculously priced in australia.. eg iphone costs over 1000, cars are AT LEAST 40% more than the states and petrol is through the roof.. but hay what can we do about it, government privatized almost everything so we are getting ripped left right and centre, and this countrys spirit is not exactly a "we will strike and fight untill we get fair game" one..

edit
i checked it out and there are a number of articles that say the same thing quoting mike breen, so im guessing that his speech at least did exist haha
but im gonna compose a letter on monday and address it to him and a few more ppl at toyota australia. cus if its anything over 40 for the base model, it will flunk..
yeop and then it still goes ahead and puts taxes on those products and drives the price up more
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
sneaky

Drives: 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
“We would like it to be in the early $30,000s,” he said. “That's where we would like it to be; doesn't mean it will be there"

I hope it is coz thats a great price!!! but like Calais said put taxes on that =$50,000 lol

also are they calling it a Celica here? top of article "Toyota 2011 Celica"????
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
“We would like it to be in the early $30,000s,” he said. “That's where we would like it to be; doesn't mean it will be there"

I hope it is coz thats a great price!!! but like Calais said put taxes on that =$50,000 lol

also are they calling it a Celica here? top of article "Toyota 2011 Celica"????
You poor bastards...

(Is tax at least included in the ridiculous prices, like Japan? Or do you still have a 12% Harmonized Sales Tax 'surprise' on top of that like in my part of Canada?

Because titanium.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
sneaky

Drives: 86GT
nah that wont be with tax. it'll be plus tax(es) we're lucky we have more than one lol
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
70NYD

Eg prius here is what 40? And a miata is 45?
That's 40% tax.. That's about how much you pay when importing anyway personally. Then when you buy you pay tax again.. (stamp duty)
Revolution anyone?
It won't be called a celica. That's just ignorance on the writers part. But I found another few articles with same quotes but 2012 and ft name
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
But don't you have all those hot beach-body women to make up for it?

Because titanium.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
70NYD

yes..
damn it i have no response
Old 03-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
Calais

Garage
i do, how are we supposed to pick up those hot bodied women at the beach when we cant buy the car to impress them! lol
Old 03-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #12
70NYD

lol you dont need a car to impress :p
i picked up fine when i had a holden camira... :p
Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
Calais

Garage
yea when i had my old fateful VL as a first car was doing well then ma dad gave that away and i was stuck with a hyundai excel which i promptly blew up(serzly i had black smoke coming from the engine bay and the fkn thing sheared off all but 1 engine mount [no clue how i managed that]) and then onto acouple of corollas which i cant really complain about the picking up bit ay? since im engaged
Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
So what is the current general consensus on price?

Can I throw in some predictions?

The best brand I can think of to provide a comparison to is not Toyota, but rather Subaru. I say this because Subaru aims for a slightly higher market, shifts less volume than their Toyota equivalent vehicles, and their vehicles have a few things that would be more costly to manufacture that we know won't be in the FT86. There's also some similarities like the boxer engine.

Excluding dealer delivery (this changes greatly on your deal-making prowess!) your base model Subaru Impreza R is around 24k. They're pretty gutless but you still get a fairly flashy car with all wheel drive. There's various models and trims going up to the WRX which is around 44k. Yeah, these are pretty rough estimates and don't account for haggling, but even in a best case scenario you might end up paying an extra 2k for delivery (with a factory RRP discount) and on-road costs. Even the lux-o-barge Liberty starts at around 36k.

Looking at one of the few low volume Toyotas currently available, the Rukus, it starts around 28k drive away and goes up to around 33k. They only move 150-200 per month nationally so it's a fair comparison, as I think they'd move more than this for the FT86. They're not a bad car at all either, lots of modern technology and a nice trim.

I suggest that we might see a base model of the FT86 debut at around 32k, factory RRP. High level trim might be an extra 10k on top of that (look at even the Corolla... Levin's are 10k on top of the base). You never know though, there's only 6k difference between the Build 1 Rukus and the Build 3.

A small thing to keep your minds at rest though. The WRX starting at 44k factory RRP pretty much caps the price a turbo version would get up to. We don't need to worry about the STI because I don't think the FT86 will ever be trying to get into that market. I'm not worried about the MX5 either as it is a hairdressers car.

I reckon for 32k you'd get a base model, maybe even with steelies if you can't negotiate to save your life. 35-36k would get you one with a mags standard, body kit (that we know exists, haha), and maybe an audio upgrade of sorts. 38-40k however might land you either an upgraded interior + navigation + other trimmings, OR could bring a bit of forced induction love into the equation. Depends whether they think the buyers will value luxury or performance more for their extra bucks. The volumes we're talking probably don't allow to go for a lux model as well as a performance version.

Thoughts?
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
# heads up undercover, ## police now posting