follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
elitegunslinger

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT E-Tuning VS EcuTek Experience and Results

Hello everyone; I'll be doing a head to head comparison of the OFT E-Tune to EcuTek with dyno results courtesy of ProCom Racing.

I am installing a Kraftwerks C30 kit and wanted to see if there really is a big difference for forced induction between the two tunes on 93.

Log:
4/12/17 WE: Paid for E-Tune and provided original flash to OFP.

4/17/17 MO: Shiv requested MAF tube ID and MAP sensor that will be used.

4/19/17 WE: Received initial base flash, instructed to log the following:
1) 10 seconds of idle
2) 10 seconds of high cruise (65mph in 6th gear on flat road)

4/22/17 SA: Install complete; recorded idle and 65 mph.

4/22/17 Sa: Email sent to Shiv containing logs.

4/25/17 Tu: Shiv requested log of full third gear pull 2000-5000 rpm.

4/26/17 We: Email sent to Shiv containing logs.

4/26/17 We: Shiv requested a couple logs of full throttle pulls 2000-7500 rpm.

4/27/17 Th: Email sent to Shiv containing logs. P0103 code appearing in 3rd gear at 7.5k.

4/30/17 Su: Shiv sent new tune to remedy P0103 and requested to perform logs again.

5/1/17 Mo: Email sent to Shiv containing logs. Felt like I was a little down on power this time, might be in my head.

5/1/17 Mo: Definitely down power and burning excess fuel with tune 02.

5/2/17 Tu: Flashed 02 again; fuel economy seems better but power is still slightly down at peak. Was roasting the tires in a straight line at 7.5k in first and could get it started in second too with 01.

5/3/17 We: Emailed updated logs.

5/4/17 Th: Received updated file, requested to log again; Shiv explained he was getting the MAF scaling sorted before making it more aggressive.

5/5/17 Fr: Emailed updated logs, will probably log 2-7.5k again due to losing traction in the rain.

5/17/17 We: C30 bearings may have eaten themselves, blue rotrex fluid became black over 45 miles. We'll see what's wrong when I get the kit off and what needs to be fixed.

5/18/17 Th: Marks 2 weeks without communication.

5/19/17 Fr: Shiv contacted me, said that he'd be willing to tune the SBD kit from the previous fee which is awesome.

5/23/17 Tu: Purchased SBDX500 Turbo Kit, welded oil pan, SBD over pipe, and front pipe.

5/31/17 We: Received full turbo kit minus the SBD exhaust pipe, contacted Chris; said he'd get it shipped out 6/1/17. Ordered an AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost gauge with 6k used; for safety and data logging. Also ordered a vacuum manifold from Fast-Turbo to clean up vacuum lines for boost gauge and eventually Electronic Boost Controller (still deciding on which to buy, probably will pick up once I start using EcuTek).

6/01/17 Th: New owner of the SuperCharger broke down the unit for repair; he questioned why Rotrex says they aren't repairable. "Looks like it needs a shaft, impeller, and 3 new bearings. That's it!" Looks like he's off to the races with that setup, he said I may have overspun it to cause the failure. IMO the C30-94 is an excellent setup and really keeps the car balanced still, I'm just looking toward more power at this point (probably more than I can control).

6/04/17 Su: Waiting on drift armor and SBD piping; need to order SouthBend Stage 3 Endurance Clutch and Velox Fork. Still deciding on which electronic boost controller to use, or if I'm going to use one. New owner of C30 found that the oil pump in the unit may have failed, needs to source a new spring and inspect the pump.

6/05/17 Mo: Received ATI vent gauge, adapter, some side marker A clips, and my Kosei center caps from Ray!
Things to order:
  1. SouthBend Stage 3 Endurance Clutch
  2. Maybe some more DEI gold heat wrap

Ordered:
  1. Velox Clutch Fork
  2. Velox Pivot
  3. ARP Flywheel Bolts
  4. New OEM Flywheel

Things to do before install:
  1. Clean up port on wastegate
  2. Cerakote exhaust (quoted 2 weeks and $280 or so, will find out tomorrow)
  3. I'm sure there is more...

Last edited by elitegunslinger; 06-05-2017 at 08:55 PM.
elitegunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to elitegunslinger For This Useful Post:
phrosty (04-17-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
elitegunslinger

Reserved for results.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Who's doing the EcuTek tune though? There's not a blanket EcuTek tune, all depends on the tuner.

Also it's worth noting that while dyno results should be similar, it would be ideal to compare how they are off the dyno.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
elitegunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Who's doing the EcuTek tune though? There's not a blanket EcuTek tune, all depends on the tuner.

Also it's worth noting that while dyno results should be similar, it would be ideal to compare how they are off the dyno.
ProCom will also be doing the EcuTek tune; forgot to mention that. I'll make some butt dyno and handling notes as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
denso

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was going the ECUtek way because you are able to do custom maps. My ECU is faster than a human watching two gauges.
OFT is very good for N/A applications but as I said the custom maps (failsafes) are the (my) point.
denso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
elitegunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by denso View Post
I was going the ECUtek way because you are able to do custom maps. My ECU is faster than a human watching two gauges.
OFT is very good for N/A applications but as I said the custom maps (failsafes) are the (my) point.
OFT supports custom maps but the only tuner I know that tunes for OFT is Shiv himself (I'm sure other people do but I couldn't find someone local).

Hopefully I see a difference between the two tunes as I think $800 for just software is a little excessive when for $440 + $245 I've tuned for NA and FI this also provides me with an entire data logging device, code scanner, tuner, etc. Which is a bargain compared to EcuTek. I'll have to buy a cable, laptop or tablet, and software for EcuTek. Hands down OFT wins for value but until I've tested them both I can't compare quality.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #7
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitegunslinger View Post
OFT supports custom maps but the only tuner I know that tunes for OFT is Shiv himself
By custom maps he means creating custom maps within the tune to do what you want, not as in customised tuning.

At the end of the day the quality comes down to the tuner. Having used both to write tunes, EcuTek is the more powerful tool to do everything. It's also better for dyno tuning as it will save you time. However as an end user I get that most don't understand or get to see this.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 04-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
itzaustin

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 series
Wow you actually got a hold of shiv? I sent him my idle and 65 logs back on the 11th and have emailed him 5 times since then and haven't heard a single word from him...
itzaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
elitegunslinger

Quote:
By custom maps he means creating custom maps within the tune to do what you want, not as in customised tuning.

At the end of the day the quality comes down to the tuner. Having used both to write tunes, EcuTek is the more powerful tool to do everything. It's also better for dyno tuning as it will save you time. However as an end user I get that most don't understand or get to see this.
I'd need an example to see what you mean by custom map vs custom tuning as I consider these the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzaustin View Post
Wow you actually got a hold of shiv? I sent him my idle and 65 logs back on the 11th and have emailed him 5 times since then and haven't heard a single word from him...
We will see how long it takes to hear back after these logs; I sent them yesterday and he's open Monday - Thursday so I don't expect a response yet. Unsure why you haven't gotten a response yet...
Old 04-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitegunslinger View Post
I'd need an example to see what you mean by custom map vs custom tuning as I consider these the same thing.
Custom Maps in EcuTek: Click Link

A custom tune is adjusting the maps found in the stock ECU. EcuTek add 16 maps (on this platform) that you can get to do pretty much whatever you want, so you can add functionality when and if required like traction control, boost control, WMI control, temperature based limiters/control etc. These are the custom maps. Then there's the other features that they have added, like gear dependent limiters, and now with the new Bluetooth EVI device you can control various settings and log with your mobile/tablet.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 04-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
elitegunslinger

Quote:

A custom tune is adjusting the maps found in the stock ECU. EcuTek add 16 maps (on this platform) that you can get to do pretty much whatever you want, so you can add functionality when and if required like traction control, boost control, WMI control, temperature based limiters/control etc. These are the custom maps. Then there's the other features that they have added, like gear dependent limiters, and now with the new Bluetooth EVI device you can control various settings and log with your mobile/tablet.
I see what you mean now; I suppose that adds quite a bit of value to the tune and would speed things up. I've seen the bluetooth adapter for $330, I recently purchased a used cable for $250 but I could see the bluetooth option being appealing.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
elitegunslinger

Quote:

After looking into all the features that EcuTek has to offer for failsafes, flex fuel (I know OFT supports flex fuel too), and electronic boost controllers alone; EcuTek has peaked my interest and I do see the value.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 PM   #13
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Seems like a month. I wonder how much time consume fo ar NA car
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Could the OFT tune have caused the failure of the supercharger?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote