follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Oddworld

Drives: 2012 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oddworlds Fuji Red 86 GT

Hey guys my names Dave and i'm from Sydney Australia and the proud owner of a Toyota 86 GT, i took delivery of my 86 in July of 2012 and have loved every single minute driving it. My purchasing experience was very pleasant indeed primarily due to avoiding the 8 month+ wait on the 86. I was lucky enough to get it in 3 weeks!

I've modified the car a bit since i took delivery and its now undergoing a built engine with Forged Internals and a new Turbo.

<strong>Under the Bonnet</strong>
AVO Turboworld Stage 2 turbo kit
Carillo 10:1 low comp Forged Pistons
Carillo Forged Connecting Rods
ARP head studs
Dynosty Valve Springs
e85 flex fuel kit
Installed and tuned by Pulse Racing
Fully engineered and emissions cleared
Cusco strut brace
Hypertune Intercooler
Grimspeed Hoodstruts
APR Carbon radiator shroud

<strong>Exhaust</strong>
Custom front pipe
Custom mid pipe
X-Force 3" Catback

<strong>Wheels, Suspension, Brakes and Driveline</strong>
Tein Type Flex coilovers
Rays Engineering Volk TE37SL Black Editions 18x9.5 square setup wrapped in 235/40/R18 Bridgestone Potenza SP001's
ATTKD BBK 356mm 8 Piston Calipers front and 335mm 6 Piston rear
Xtreme 5 Puck cushioned button Clutch
Whiteline Positive Shift Bushing

<strong>Exterior</strong>
Zeta Performance Carbon ducktail
TRD Carbon fins

<strong>Interior</strong>
Nardi Alcantara steering wheel with flip up boss kit
GTS doora cards and trim
TRD shift knob
Blitz SD gauges and dash cluster

PICS
<strong>Here's the stock standard pics.</strong>

<strong>The installation of my Tein Type Flex Coilovers.</strong>

<strong>My Rays Volk Racing TE37SL Black Editions getting wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza S001 rubber.</strong>

<strong>Ass Shot</strong>

<strong>The Zeta Performance Carbon Ducktail, I wanted something similar to the TRD one but with more rake.</strong>

<strong>The TRD Carbon Aero Fins set the car off i think.</strong>

<strong>Onto the engine side of things.</strong>
So with the engine side of things is where things begin to get interesting. It has taken me on a journey of over the top excitement, then even more power brought more excitement. Then excitement turned to pure heartache but we will get to that in a bit.
It all started when I was sitting in my poxy room at the Police academy on an advanced driver course, *I knew that I wanted my 86 to venture into the somewhat unknown territory of forced induction. I chose to turbo it using the stage 2 version of the AVO turbo kit specifically designed for the 86. *I liked the conservative power it developed, *I liked how stealth it was and above all it really wasn't that expensive. After I finished my course I returned home and posted an add on carsales to sell my 1964 EH Holden which I built in my driveway, *a short time later i no doubt had a buyer for the car. I had the money in my hands for less then 24 hours when I visited Pulse Racing and spoke with Paul about the installation and tuning of the AVO Turbo kit, *i was lucky enough that Pulse had already had experience with this kit and also the rest of the work that goes into it. I jumped in the passenger seat of the Pulse BRZ and was convinced so i handed over the chunk of change that was formerly my hand built pride and joy. We agreed on a few thing that need to be done and they included;
<ul>
<li>Turbo kit installation</li>
<li>Full exhaust excluding cat back</li>
<li>Custom Tune</li>
<li>e85 flex fuel kit</li>
<li>Uprated 850cc injectors</li>
<li>Uprated Fuel Pump</li>
<li>Emissions and Engineering</li>
<li>Brake rotor upgrade</li>
<li>HKS drop in air filter</li>
</ul>
After many visits to the workshop counting down the days I finally received my 86 apart from the e85 tune. Pulse did a great job with tuning and i had 205rwkw under my right foot and a smile on my face.

After a few months unfortunately the Turbo flange had been warped from factory and daily driving that made it a lot more prominent so I returned the car to Pulse and they went and fixed it free of charge as well as the long awaited e85 tune. The car was tuned at e66 and i received the car with a nice gain and a total of 230rwkw, Paul told me to keep putting e85 in the car to boost the ethanol content up and then bring it back for a further tune. So i did that and literally like a week later i had put something like 4 tanks of fuel through the car and my ethanol content peaked at about e82. The car was put back on the dyne once again with me in the passenger seat and with very few inputs the car had gained more power and the final number was 245.5rwkw. I was very happy with this result and the tune had transformed the car into something that wanted to kill me at every opportunity hence when she was named Christine (she doesn't have the curves of a 59 Plymouth though)

<strong>The Grunt</strong>

<strong>The Bay</strong>

After being content with the power i decided to try and make the existing kit more efficient. Enter Kalen Gray! He had told me that he is in the process of making up his own turbo kits and needed an AVO intercooler to measure up the size so that a custom Hypertune one could be mocked up. We agreed to meet at Hypertune a short time later and the front bar was quickly off the car and measurements were taken. The new Intercooler is 8x more efficient and is a Tube &amp; Fin design rather than than the AVO cooler which is a bar and plate design and not to mention looks much cooler. The fabrication was complete and it went straight onto the car with no hassles whatsoever. This is a credit to not only Kalen but the guys at Hypertune doing flawless work with everything they touch.

<strong>The Beauty</strong>

<strong>The Beast</strong>

<strong>More Woah for the Go!</strong>
After *the hike in power i decided it was finally time to look at a big brake upgrade for the car, *i decided to with an ATTKD front and rear setup from Just Jap in Kirrawee.

<strong>Front</strong>
8 piston Caliper with 356mm slotted rotors

<strong>Rear</strong>
6 piston calliper with 335mm rotors

<strong>The pic to rule them all</strong>

<strong>The Disaster</strong>
It was a sunny Sunday after a long night shift at work, i decided to give sleep a miss and headed to the gym after work. Upon finishing up at the gym and sitting in the car to see if anything was going on during the day i saw that the Subinationals were on at Wakefield Park Raceway in glorious Goulburn. I picked up my mate and we set off to Goulburn to be spectators and cheer on my workshop Pulse Racing where they were running their own boosted BRZ.
We arrived and checked out the mouth watering boxer goodness followed by meeting up with Paul from Pulse within the pit garage that the Pulse BRZ and EVO lay dormant for the time being until they finally got their turn. After a few hours of the sounds of the infamous boxer rumble we decided start to head home on no joke an 'economy run' because i was running low on e85 and didn't want to disturb the ethanol content and lose power (I know what you're thinking).

So we set off and got back on the Hume Highway and the car cruised at a steady speed him 6th gear. Coming upto the forest where that famous Australian serial killer dumped all of his victims i saw the familiar nose of a Subaru BRZ pop out and it was no other than Kat Mcpherson. We decided to cruise together for a while and with a couple of third gear pulls hearing the whine of a supercharged BRZ get lost in my rear view mirror we decided we would stop playing silly buggers. After a while of just driving with the car in 6th gear at about 2700rpm i was in the left lane and decided to move into the faster lane, i indicated right and accelerated to keep up with the speed of the traffic flowing within that lane. As I moved into the lane increasing my speed the car suddenly made a sound that made my blood run cold and caused my knees to go weak, i looked behind me and saw a cloud of white smoke following the car so i feared the worst. I pulled the car over and could see smoke absolutely pouring out of the front of the car, at the time the car was actually still running so i quickly turned the car off and without the thought of a possible fire i opened the bonnet and saw what i hoped was a bad dream.

Upon opening the bonnet the smoke cleared i saw an engine bay covered in its own oil, during this time Kat had pulled up behind me and we both buried our heads under the bonnet avoiding saying the inevitable "She's thrown a rod and punched a hole in the block". We looked closely under the manifold and saw that there were three gaping holes where the innards became its outurds?? After assessing the damage i first called Paul directly and he was confused as to why it could of happened but quickly said to drop the car at the workshop and we will access the next move in the build. I then called Kalen to access the block situation where he said that he has a compete engine that is mine if i wanted it, the cogs were turning straight away with a positive outlook on the future of the car! After a well needed hug from Kat they then left us as we waited for a tow truck to arrive!

Fast forward a couple of days and the 86 was towed to Pulse Racing where Paul and i spoke about what the direction the car is going to take, it was clear that a fully built engine was on the cards while the new engine would be out of the car. This would consist of forged pistons, forged connecting rods, uprated head studs, head work and to top it off a shiny new Garret GTX28R turbo to be modified to fit the existing kit.

<strong>The Damage</strong>
From assessing what could have happened it turned out that the intercooler was too efficient for the application without having the tune checked. The car over boosted due to the increased efficiency spiked which resulted in the engine deciding it didn't need all of its rods anymore.

I quickly got on the phone to Kalen once again to get advice on what would parts would best suit the application, we decided to go with;
<ul>
<li>Carillo 10:1 Low Comp Forged Pistons</li>
<li>Carillo Forged Connecting Rods</li>
<li>ARP 14mm stud bolts</li>
</ul>
Well i thinks that's all for now until i get the car back bigger, badder, stronger and more powerful.
STAY TUNED!
======= UPDATE!
So the point is drawing near when ill be getting the 86 back after the engine is built.

So looking at the process of getting the engine built i got the chance to check out the differences between the OEM pistons and the Carillo Forged Pistons and well as the OEM connecting rods and the Carillo Forged Rods. It's a shame that the replacement Forged items can't be seen in the engine cause they are damn good looking.
Heres the difference between the OEM connecting Rods and the Carillo ones.

OEM pistons v Carillo Forged

Here's the short block with crank installed ready for the pistons to go in!

Alright lets get onto the turbo side of things where lies the the biggest surprise. The first plans were to see if a Garret GTX2867R would fit with little modification, Pulse ordered the 2867 from Garret and test fitted the turbo to realise that there actually is a massive amount of room between the block and the radiator support panel. It didn't take long for them to test fit a GTX3067, which fit with no modification at all and also leaving decent clearances. So the plan changed and ill now be running the Garret GTX3067R which will leave me with a great turbo that will allow me to run less boost and make very decent power.

This is the Garret GTX2867R fitted

And this is the replacement Garret GTX3067R

So thats what the build is unto thus far, the engine will be put back together and the old engine will be removed. Can't wait to get my hands back on this
car because its going to be a monster.

Ill be at the Nulon Nationals Drag event on Sept 20th to tear it up

Last edited by Oddworld; 09-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Oddworld is offline   Reply With Quote