follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #71
yoyolasticot

Drives: GT86 Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok, for me it seems strange this noise... All the car I drove I never hear this kind of sound when I change the gear or when I'm slipping the clutch. I will come back tomorrow night on this forum after to see the dealer...
I will try to drive another gt86 to check if this sound is also there...
yoyolasticot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #72
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah I am braving the dealer as well. My honk has recently gotten worse and will now occasionally do it in 3rd and 4th gear. Definitely not normal and seems weird and unlikely to be a frequency resonance issue as 5% clutch engagement wouldn't add or eliminate a specific frequency range and its only in select gears or speed. We will see. Hopefully it won't be another crickets type thing
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #73
yoyolasticot

Drives: GT86 Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, I just come back to the dealer. He heard the noise and He kept the car all the day to find the problem. He said that they didn't see any mechanical problems... they put some oil/grease in some service opening around the clutch and transmission but when I did the same test I heard the same noise...

I wrote a mail to the dealer with my detailed observations... I hope that he will transfer my observation to Toyota France... fingers cross...
yoyolasticot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoyolasticot For This Useful Post:
7thgear (04-17-2013), Dang Lad (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #74
Dang Lad

Drives: Asphalt MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks Yoyo - keep us up-to-date on what you and the dealer/Toyota of France find.
Dang Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #75
Dang Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
Yeah I am braving the dealer as well. My honk has recently gotten worse and will now occasionally do it in 3rd and 4th gear. Definitely not normal and seems weird and unlikely to be a frequency resonance issue as 5% clutch engagement wouldn't add or eliminate a specific frequency range and its only in select gears or speed. We will see. Hopefully it won't be another crickets type thing
Heard anything back yet?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #76
Cameronghanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Lad View Post
Heard anything back yet?
Just got it back this morning. They replaced my fuel pump and adjusted the clutch grab and it seems to have fixed it strangly enough. Or at least minimized it. It's definitely quieter but the weather here isn't as cold so I'm not sure if there is a correlation. The service techs weren't either. If I still hear it I'm going to put it on jack stands or a dyno and get underneath to figure out where it's coming from
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cameronghanson For This Useful Post:
7thgear (04-17-2013), Dang Lad (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #77
Dang Lad

Great, thanks for the tip! The fuel pump might make sense, because I noticed that it always occurs when adjusting the clutch with the accelerator depressed.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
Cameronghanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Lad View Post
Great, thanks for the tip! The fuel pump might make sense, because I noticed that it always occurs when adjusting the clutch with the accelerator depressed.
For sure. If you have crickets the dealer will replace it that's the ony way I was able to get it replaced. I'm not sure the honk is enough to convince them.
So for once it might be a good thing if you have crickets!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #79
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Couple of things?
1) I'm curious, how many of you did the "clutch" adjustment as seen on this forum? The reason I ask is that you may have I advertantly lowered it too much and because the motion ratio doesn't change, it's causing your clutch to not fully disengage when pressed-slightly dragging but not enough to cause issues at stop lights or anything.

2) I completely disagree with the rep that said its straight cut gears! They are extremely loud and only used for racing and sometimes reverse-hence the whining sound when backing up. Street cars will always come with helical cut gears.

But otherwise I'm curious of what is causing this too. I have 17k and knock on wood no sound yet.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #80
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
Couple of things?
1) I'm curious, how many of you did the "clutch" adjustment as seen on this forum? The reason I ask is that you may have I advertantly lowered it too much and because the motion ratio doesn't change, it's causing your clutch to not fully disengage when pressed-slightly dragging but not enough to cause issues at stop lights or anything.
You don't want this. I had my clutch set super short for a day after improperly doing the adjustment myself, was way too short and I was very afraid I'd damage the clutch. I took it into a tuner shop and had them adjust it to my pref.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #81
Flow

Drives: DGMBRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
Couple of things?

I did not do the clutch adjustment.

Also, an edit to my post above saying the problem is essentially gone for me. The problem has significantly lessened (perhaps due to change in weather), but, I do get still get the noise when I'm sloppy on my shifting.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #82
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
i havent done the clutch adjustment and i get said "honk"

anyone get a resolution from the dealership?

mine happens at higher rpm's and 2nd & 3rd gear as described above
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #83
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
no ideas?
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #84
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
It's only happening when you slip the clutch a bit. I've been adjusting my shifting to avoid my noise, but other owners I know out here don't have the noise when they shift.

Someone said it was the clutch delay valve. Has anyone talked to the dealer about that and had theirs replaced to see if the noise went away? It could be a faulty valve emitting the noise when you slip the clutch too much. If the valve is off a certain degree the movement of the fluid could cause some unintended pressure that would cause an audible noise.