follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #43
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
No need for the condescending tone man. True this is the first brand new car for me and true I raised my fist but as you can see this is a matter of communication. I'm a structural engineer, if I tell you I'll have to live in the house I design for you for 3 days to make sure it won't fall down would you not even ask a question? Once the manager guaranteed that no employee will be joyriding on my car and no more miles will be put on compared to any other cars in the lot I accepted the fact. How many time do they have to do this? Only one winner per dealer.
I'd say more incredulity than condescension.

I'm a big fan of analogies, but wouldn't that mean the BRZ design team at Subaru would do the PDI on my new car? Ya, that I would question ;-)

This is really all a storm in a tea cup from people who are new to new car purchasing and another example of how quickly folks on this forum get their knickers in a twist over the littlest thing.

There will always be doomsday anecdotes to point to, but if people do their research, go with a reputable dealer, and have some faith in the professionalism of said dealer, their shouldn't be any issues.

You'll have your new car soonish - with a few miles on it - it'll still be shiney, have that new car smell, and be one massive hoot to drive :-D
Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #44
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
I'd say more incredulity than condescension.

I'm a big fan of analogies, but wouldn't that mean the BRZ design team at Subaru would do the PDI on my new car? Ya, that I would question ;-)

This is really all a storm in a tea cup from people who are new to new car purchasing and another example of how quickly folks on this forum get their knickers in a twist over the littlest thing.

There will always be doomsday anecdotes to point to, but if people do their research, go with a reputable dealer, and have some faith in the professionalism of said dealer, their shouldn't be any issues.

You'll have your new car soonish - with a few miles on it - it'll still be shiney, have that new car smell, and be one massive hoot to drive :-D
you're right, bad analogy, it should have been "the realtor who sells the house I design for you", that would make it even more questionable though.

but whatever, I got over it, overreaction or not.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #45
Sancosys

Drives: Vq35 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know you dont like the idea of 10miles give or take but wouldn't you like to have a proper safety inspection prior to you picking your car up? 10 miles is pretty standard for a PDI. I would think you wouldn't like if your car, had a wheel vibration, didn't shift, overheated, had suspension noises etc. when you picked it up. The 10 miles is to check all of these before you arrive. This isnt a joy ride, this 10 miles happens on $100k cars (personally PDI the cars) so this isn't a new practice for a new car. Enjoy your car and let the techs do their job so you can ensure you have a proper product, no car is perfect.
Sancosys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #46
UAM

Drives: 370TT, 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancosys View Post
I know you dont like the idea of 10miles give or take but wouldn't you like to have a proper safety inspection prior to you picking your car up? 10 miles is pretty standard for a PDI. I would think you wouldn't like if your car, had a wheel vibration, didn't shift, overheated, had suspension noises etc. when you picked it up. The 10 miles is to check all of these before you arrive. This isnt a joy ride, this 10 miles happens on $100k cars (personally PDI the cars) so this isn't a new practice for a new car. Enjoy your car and let the techs do their job so you can ensure you have a proper product, no car is perfect.
i agree with you. 10 miles on a 28k car is nothing. Safety comes first.
UAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #47
GodSays

Drives: Beater
10 miles! no need to cry over 10 miles AS LONG as there's no scratches
GodSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #48
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
This is actually pretty normal. New cars should have about 10-15 miles on them after the inspections. I don't care much about mechanics driving it but I wouldn't prefer to have one that customers have test driven multiple times. Oh and I HATE it when people rev the engine to redline as soon as they start it. People at my dealer used to do that with new cars all the time.
Bristecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #49
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Just like pretty much everyone else has stated, a test drive is required for a PDI. My dealership's technicians will leave our lot at one end and maybe drive a mile around the industrial park. Also, I know not all states require it, but I do know that Pennsylvania does for their state inspections. The one test drive will satisfy both requirements.

Also, depending on the technician, they may not even care what the car is and just do their job and get it done so they can work on another one. Flat rate techs can make some money on PDI's once they get them down. The first FR-S PDI may be a little different for them especially since Subaru may do things quite differently than what the tech is expecting. The process usually takes around an hour depending on the car and most of that is in the work bay.

I agree with the other poster about the detail knuckleheads. Most of them are just high school kids that don't give a rat's a** and are there to collect their minimum wage check and drive a bunch of cars doing so. To be safe, I would request them to not wash it, leave all the stickers in it and give you a voucher for the gas. When you get surveys in the mail for Toyota, they ask if you received a full tank or a voucher for a full tank. They may not allow it though because I know the gas station we use, gives us a discount if we use our fleet cards.

Being your first new car, I can understand your concerns. Also, being an engineer, you want to know all the pertinent info regarding your purchase and the entire process. Engineers are the most thorough customers that I have ever dealt with and it's not a bad thing either. They always have everything organized and the transaction is usually very smooth you just have to answer a lot of questions.

Enjoy your new wheels when they arrive! :happy0180:

Ruskymx
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #50
Egyptn
GEEEEEEE T

Drives: White 86GT
New car I bought last year had 8KMs on it. Its the norm dude Chill out and enjoy.
Egyptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #51
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforaddison View Post
Yesterday, I actually even got into a BRAND NEW car with 100 miles on it. Sometimes they have to keep going threw tests from the factory till they can get sent out.
Or it's juts been test-driven a whole lot by numbskulls who know nothing about operating a clutch or not redlining a car that's not at operating temperature.

The last car I bought new had a total of 8.8 miles on it AFTER the PDI.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #52
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Im really just concerned of the detailing team and others under the age of 25yrs. Id like the car to remain un-hooned for the duration of the first oil change interval.
mattles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #53
Stryker Trailwood
Scion Guy

Drives: Scions and a Harley
neither of the new cars i have bought must have had any kind of PDI that a lot on here are used to.
my tC's 4mi seems like just enough to drive through the factory and then off the truck at the dealer.
Daily Rider
2014 White Hot Denim Harley-Davidson V-Rod Muscle
Stryker Trailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #54
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Or it's juts been test-driven a whole lot by numbskulls who know nothing about operating a clutch or not redlining a car that's not at operating temperature.

The last car I bought new had a total of 8.8 miles on it AFTER the PDI.
Not true. It was actually a 2012 dodge caravan. Not sure who would just be practicing their driving skills in a minivan. We don't get our cars from the dealer anyways. They come straight from the factory where they are put threw tests no different then the car you buy off the lot.
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #55
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mos cars have between 1-10 miles. Some up to 200 miles straight from the factory before the PDI.
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #56
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
I am requesting my dealer not touch the paint at all and not to drill the front license plate on, and im hoping it doesnt get beat on too much....
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote