follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Hancha Group
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Subarus
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hancha BRZ/FR-S/GT86 Aero Parts Development Thread

We're getting closer and closer to finalizing some of our aero parts so it's time to share development. On a personal note, this is exciting to me, Earl, because it's the only time Paul (our resident CFD engineer) and I can collaborate on a project. We've even drafted in another engineer, Lawrence, a MIT graduate, to help us out with some of the more complex surfacing projects. Now on to the good stuff.

Currently we are working on a racing splitter for the cars. This is a rendering of our prototype (bottom side is showing)

As you can see, the recessed holes are there and there will be through holes in the final version. This it to utilize factory threaded holes and keep the fasteners out of the air stream as much as possible. On the front edge, it will be attached on the top side with adjustable rods for a sturdy mounting connection. We, at Hancha, are long time Subaru enthusiasts and have access to more BRZ's than FR-S's, therefore the design is based around the BRZ bumper, but there is no reason why it could not work with a FR-S/GT86, as long as the same steps are taken. This is a mock up with a CNC'd wood sheet to give you an idea of what it will look like on the car

The final size will be dictated by the results of Paul's CFD analysis. Please note that the actual results will vary slightly between bumpers, lips, and ride heights. This is relatively flat piece and will require a lip that has a relatively flat edge (which does not have to be ours) for a good mating surface. It is designed so the OEM plastic undertray can be removed, but does not necessarily have to. This will NOT work with the bumper alone, this is what it looks like when we tried it on a stock bumper

There is too much rake in the OEM bumper and the FR-S seems to have a similar bottom plane as the BRZ. The material that will be used is a composite polypropylene plastic. Our manufacturer currently uses Tegris by Milliken, but different suppliers for different versions of plastic may be used in the future. However, the mechanical properties will be very similar and the differences negligible (similar to how both Kevlar and Technora are para-aramids, with slightly different polymer chains, but are largely interchangeable in application). There are a few reasons why we have chosen to use composite polypropylene plastic:

1. It’s stiffness-to-weight ratio is phenomenal. For the same mass, it is 18% stiffer than carbon fiber
2. It’s light. It’s density is .78 g/cc, less than half of that of carbon fiber.
3. It’s tough. So tough, it can be used as ballistic armor. It also doesn’t splinter or shatter like carbon fiber.
4. It’s resistant to abrasion.
5. It’s easily machinable.
6. It’s fully recyclable. Since the material is made purely of plastic, if and when it breaks, if the part is no longer salvageable you can place the material in the recycling bin. This helps reduce waste energy.
7. It’s (relatively) cheap.
8. It's a proven material. NASCAR, Indy Car, Grand-Am, and World Challenge cars use this material.
9. It looks cool.

This is a sample of the material

The surface finish is smooth to the touch, but if you run your fingernail along it, you can feel the weave of the fabric. There are two colors available, grey and graphite:

The main racing splitter will come in 1/4" thickness as standard and the price will be in the ball park of $650. Thicker versions are available upon request. Two pieces can also be machined, sandwich material inserted and the two pieces bonded together for a stronger and stiffer part. This one half of that example:

There will also be additional options available to load the splitter up with more aero features. This is a concept of what it will look like fully loaded:

That is an 8 piece design. The main splitter, the extension, the two turning vanes/end plates, two adjustable winglets, and two air dams (not pictured, it will be on the bottom end to keep air away from the tires. There is a similar feature built in to the OEM under tray) can all be mechanically fastened together. Now, this kind of aerodynamic function is not necessary for the majority, so rather than building it in, we have chosen to go with a highly modular design, depending on the needs of the user (another benefit to using polypropylene vs. carbon fiber). To give you an idea of what it looks like when multiple pieces are to be joined together:

The add-ons are not priced yet. We are still finalizing the design, so please be patient with us.

Now, for the guys who aren't building full race cars, what do we have for you? We are also designing a simple lip/chin splitter that will be able to be used with the OEM bumper. The concept right now is similar in idea to the final design, but currently does not have any shape or contour in the center that will be found in the final version. This is a rendering of the concept:

The idea is to make it in three pieces. The center chin section will be made to fit either the BRZ or the FR-S/GT86, with the side pieces being the same for both cars. I will try my very best to utilize factory mounting locations but if it cannot be crossed over from one car to the other, we will likely leave it undrilled. Since it is multiple pieces, it saves money on having to design two separate pieces and shipping because the package can be made much smaller. For those worried about how this may look, this is a picture of a multi-piece splitter:

This will also have the ability to add the options for turning vanes/end plates, winglets, and air dams. For those in street-class time attack/time trial classes, in all honesty, this is probably the better option. The car is fairly aerodynamic from the factory and if you think about our design and look very closely at the rule book, this takes advantage of a loophole in the aerodynamic rules. To get an idea of the size of what we are planning to do:

We are trying our best to get the base price under $500. So this may take some time and a few design revisions to get just right. I apologize, but please be patient with us. After function (and aesthetic is a part of function), fitment is our highest priority. We want to make sure the part is perfect to install as soon as you take delivery. The BRZ version will be finished first but hopefully we can get a FR-S/GT86 version out shortly thereafter. We could use some help here @philstar

Because we are unsatisfied with current selection of lips for mounting our racing splitter, we are also planning on creating a carbon fiber lip for the BRZ. However, we don't have any more details other than that at this time. We believe the FR-S/GT86 already has enough options, so in all likeliness, we will not develop a part for them.

For the sake of full disclosure, everything will be made in the US, but our manufacturers may not be quality certified for these parts, unlike our suspension components. There are a few reasons for this:

1. These are not potential, life-threatening components if they fail
2. There are no "motorsports" quality certification standards. While the AS quality is the most similar, the aerospace and motorsports needs are different.
3. I could not find a manufacturer that was quality certified that had experience with both carbon fiber and Tegris
4. The manufacturers already work very closely with racing teams at the professional level, including Formula Atlantic, Indy Lights, Indy Car, Grand-Am, NASCAR, World Challenge, etc. and we expect our products to operate in less severe environments.

So thanks for bearing with the long read. We hope to have the racing and chin splitters available sometime in May, but the Indy Car teams will likely have priority with the Indy 500 that month. Please stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited by Hancha Group; 04-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Hancha Group is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hancha Group For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (05-17-2013), CSG Mike (04-22-2013), sevi21 (05-05-2013), SkAsphalt (03-23-2014)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If I had they way to get it to you I'd let you use my frs for whatever testing you needed(this, suspension, etc) full time as its just sitting in my garage until I get back in June.

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm still in for full underbody if you guys develop it. You could still make it modular to fit with the rest of what you have going on.
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Hancha Group
FT86Club Official Vendor

I appreciate the offer fellas. The under body would be modular as well. The race option will interlock with our race splitter. The street version will work with the OEM panels and can be thought of as replacement for those that don't get the factory panels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hancha Group For This Useful Post:
Murseman27 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'll wait and see how the lip/chin spoiler progresses, but I really want a true streetable air dam with lip that covers the roundness. Really want to take the roundness out of the underside of the front bumper, both for aesthetics and aerodynamics (as a bonus).
I'm really liking how the Tamon Designs GT3 lip gets rid of the roundness, but it's not really an air dam...

If you had filler pieces that could attach to the lip and make a vertical wall between the crease line where the roundness begins on the factory bumper lip and the new lip that would be nice.

This is what I'm looking really looking for, though the 'fang' design will make it more complicated than average:

Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Hancha Group
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I'll wait and see how the lip/chin spoiler progresses, but I really want a true streetable air dam with lip that covers the roundness. Really want to take the roundness out of the underside of the front bumper, both for aesthetics and aerodynamics (as a bonus).
I'm really liking how the Tamon Designs GT3 lip gets rid of the roundness, but it's not really an air dam...

If you had filler pieces that could attach to the lip and make a vertical wall between the crease line where the roundness begins on the factory bumper lip and the new lip that would be nice.

This is what I'm looking really looking for, though the 'fang' design will make it more complicated than average:

I see what you're saying, but our chin splitter will most likely not be what you're looking for. This is likely what it will look like

The OEM bumper will retain its shape, and the splitter will just fill the gap as closely as it can to level the bottom. Due to the properties of Tegris, it cannot be shaped cheaply, and so it has to be machined from sheet. However, we can make a flat, one piece chin splitter to use in conjunction with a lip, such as the Tamron one.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
kask2_6.0

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Parts are looking pretty awesome. Nice work guys!
kask2_6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
YDNA

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
for the frs version, is there any specific lips that it would go with? interested in one if the price isnt an arm and a leg
YDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Hancha Group
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDNA View Post
for the frs version, is there any specific lips that it would go with? interested in one if the price isnt an arm and a leg
It would work best if the lip had a straight edge on the bottom.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
YDNA

Drives: Raven FR-S
will you guys also be planning to run support rods too?
YDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Hancha Group
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDNA View Post
will you guys also be planning to run support rods too?
Yes, they would be included.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #12
Hancha Group
FT86Club Official Vendor

BRZ lip is coming along. Just to give you an idea:

Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
sevi21
Trackman

Drives: Raven Frs
Garage
Looking great guys! Excited to see how the final products come out! Mainly
for the frs haha
Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Hancha Group
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevi21 View Post
Looking great guys! Excited to see how the final products come out! Mainly
for the frs haha
Thanks Adam :]

The lips will be three layers, likely with a carbon-kevlar layer in the middle to keep the lip from completely separating in the case of a minor accident. They will be vacuum-infused for a cost-effective way to keep them as light as possible. The molds will be rapid prototyped and then hand finished to create a dimensionally accurate, repeatable part to ensure great fitment every time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hancha Group For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (05-17-2013), sevi21 (05-05-2013)