follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
transition
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Track day brake life?

I have a set of Carbotech XP10's that i've been very happy with. They've been through about 5 trackdays now and still look like they have 2/3 of their life left for the fronts and the rears look like they've never even been used. As my driving gets more confident i feel like 2/3's of the way through a 20 minute session that i'm getting a hint of fade. Would switching to XP12's help this at all? Either way, i'm very impressed with the XP10's but wonder if i wouldn't be better suited with an XP12 now or just learn to live with the tiny bit of fade.

Edit: Using RBF600 fluid

transition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Based on your wear, It doesn't look like you're getting fade. When carbotechs overheat, they start wearing very, very quickly.

XP12 will help with fade.

Can you describe your symptoms? Perhaps you're feeling your tires overheating, and the tires themselves are losing grip, causing you to think you're fading your pads.

What kind of tires are you on? Alignment?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
transition
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Based on your wear, It doesn't look like you're getting fade. When carbotechs overheat, they start wearing very, very quickly.

XP12 will help with fade.

Can you describe your symptoms? Perhaps you're feeling your tires overheating, and the tires themselves are losing grip, causing you to think you're fading your pads.

What kind of tires are you on? Alignment?
I want to say when things start to "fade" the pedal feel is still perfect although overall braking capability seems to diminish. Just feels like it takes 20% longer to slow the car down and the brakes lack that bite that they have when fresh.

Tires are Azenis RT615K. Here's how they looked the day after. I think i still might have a track day or two left before i put on the Rivals.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
sounds like fade, tyres look perfect.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Those tires have a ton of tread left. You should see my Direzza II, lol. Rubber is starting to tear on the outside.

I'll have a set of basically brand new Project Mu Club Racers brake pads for sale soon if you're interested. I'm going to sell the BRZ this weekend hopefully.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Those tires have a ton of tread left. You should see my Direzza II, lol. Rubber is starting to tear on the outside.

I'll have a set of basically brand new Project Mu Club Racers brake pads for sale soon if you're interested. I'm going to sell the BRZ this weekend hopefully.
What the...so fast...
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
transition
Banned

Quote:

The DII's were one of the candidates i was considering for replacements. How did you like them? I ended up going with the Rivals for my next set of tires but had to step up a little to a 245/40/17 from the 235/40/17 Azenis. Doing a 2-day DE at Road America so i've been contemplating if i should change the tires before that.

Mu pads are tempting although i've had such good luck with Carbotech products i'll likely be sticking with them.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #8
ayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
What the...so fast...
Car sits more than it drives, lol. I think I'm going to go back to something more boring and winter practical to DD (auto).

The pads and fluid were great though. Definitely didn't feel any fade or sponginess.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
ayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by transition View Post
The DII's were one of the candidates i was considering for replacements. How did you like them? I ended up going with the Rivals for my next set of tires but had to step up a little to a 245/40/17 from the 235/40/17 Azenis. Doing a 2-day DE at Road America so i've been contemplating if i should change the tires before that.

Mu pads are tempting although i've had such good luck with Carbotech products i'll likely be sticking with them.
They were great when they were brand new. I was basically just trying to burn them up before I got rid of them. I don't think they would have liked me doing donuts on the track

I would have gone with RS3 for track tires as they can handle more heat. Never had experience with the Rivals. I'll be doing the Road America with you at the end of the month. The tires on my Integra are basically gone too, lol. Debating if I should just burn them up at RA or get new tires.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
transition
Banned

Quote:
They were great when they were brand new. I was basically just trying to burn them up before I got rid of them. I don't think they would have liked me doing donuts on the track

I would have gone with RS3 for track tires as they can handle more heat. Never had experience with the Rivals. I'll be doing the Road America with you at the end of the month. The tires on my Integra are basically gone too, lol. Debating if I should just burn them up at RA or get new tires.
Could have gone for some more drift action.

Excited to try the Rivals - everything i've read on them says at the very least they'll be better tires then the Azenis.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transition View Post
I want to say when things start to "fade" the pedal feel is still perfect although overall braking capability seems to diminish. Just feels like it takes 20% longer to slow the car down and the brakes lack that bite that they have when fresh.

Tires are Azenis RT615K. Here's how they looked the day after. I think i still might have a track day or two left before i put on the Rivals.

The tires are definitely getting some heat in them.

It's difficult to tell if it's pad fade or tires just giving out toward the end of your session.

Only one way to tell... replace one of them.

Let us know if you want to try XP12.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote