follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #29
tim35ct

Drives: 2013 Black Brz Premium 6sp
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
brighter boomerangs

im looking for a plug n play method to make the boomerang lights brighter any suggestions? i have read the thread on separating the lights and soldering but that is too much.
tim35ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #30
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim35ct View Post
im looking for a plug n play method to make the boomerang lights brighter any suggestions? i have read the thread on separating the lights and soldering but that is too much.
To my knowledge besides adding a the proper driver to power the LEDs there is only 1 other option. Diode Dynamics has a switchback set you can install which replace your OEM leds behind the boomerang. This still requires you to open up the headlight though.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2013-2...ed-boards.html

The switchback idea is nice style wise, but I would prefer a OEM led setup over after market for terms of reliability. Also because the switchback uses 4 smaller chips in each section, i don't know how much brighter the white output really would be.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #31
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Cool thread. Thanks for being so active in here @HeresMyMind

I have an 05 FXT and the lenses are starting to get not just hazy, but they seem to be cracking through as well.

Is there a reputable source to purchase just the lenses, and if not, is there a preferred couple of aftermarket brands for new replacements? I was thinking about new lenses and a projector retrofit, or new Depo housings.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #32
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Cool thread. Thanks for being so active in here @HeresMyMind

I have an 05 FXT and the lenses are starting to get not just hazy, but they seem to be cracking through as well.

Is there a reputable source to purchase just the lenses, and if not, is there a preferred couple of aftermarket brands for new replacements? I was thinking about new lenses and a projector retrofit, or new Depo housings.
No problem! There is a lot of mos information with lighting so I try to help when I can.

I also have an 03 XS that had the same issue. I replaced them with depo headlights and did a retrofit with Morimoto D2S projectors (4.0) with Osram CBI D2S bulbs and Morimoto 50 watt ballasts.

The quality of after market headlights is fine. I noticed the clear coating started chipping after 2-3 years which is typical for depo plastic lenses.

You can not purchase just lenses unfortunately.

I plan on sanding down and re-clearing my lights with a good 3m clear coat.

If you have any other questions of want a quote on an actual retrofit let me know. I am in CT about 1 hour from Springfield Mass.

-B
Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #33
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
No problem! There is a lot of mos information with lighting so I try to help when I can.

I also have an 03 XS that had the same issue. I replaced them with depo headlights and did a retrofit with Morimoto D2S projectors (4.0) with Osram CBI D2S bulbs and Morimoto 50 watt ballasts.

The quality of after market headlights is fine. I noticed the clear coating started chipping after 2-3 years which is typical for depo plastic lenses.

You can not purchase just lenses unfortunately.

I plan on sanding down and re-clearing my lights with a good 3m clear coat.

If you have any other questions of want a quote on an actual retrofit let me know. I am in CT about 1 hour from Springfield Mass.

-B
That is actually almost a copy paste of my initial plan. The new MA inspection means that headlight may not pass inspection, but shouldn't cause an issue once I have a sticker for the year so I'd play swapperoo.

I've really enjoyed having my 100w Piaa Plasma Yellow bulbs, the visibility was great compared to any off the shelf solution for a long time, but after DD'ing the BRZ for a few years, the lighting now feels a bit dim in comparison.

Edit: Also highly appreciate the offer. Once I pull the trigger on the fresh Depos I'll pull apart my OEM headlights and check out the work required before chopping up the new ones, and likely have the Depos clear coated when I have a fender dent fixed by my friends body shop.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #34
HeresMyMind

Quote:
That is actually almost a copy paste of my initial plan. The new MA inspection means that headlight may not pass inspection, but shouldn't cause an issue once I have a sticker for the year so I'd play swapperoo.

I've really enjoyed having my 100w Piaa Plasma Yellow bulbs, the visibility was great compared to any off the shelf solution for a long time, but after DD'ing the BRZ for a few years, the lighting now feels a bit dim in comparison.

Edit: Also highly appreciate the offer. Once I pull the trigger on the fresh Depos I'll pull apart my OEM headlights and check out the work required before chopping up the new ones, and likely have the Depos clear coated when I have a fender dent fixed by my friends body shop.
If you ever have questions let me know. The 100w bulbs on stocking wiring is dangerous on these cars as it draws a lot and melts harnesses and clauses car fires often.

The deeps are already cleared. They would have to be sanded down then decorated if you did that.

The brz headlighting is only good with good bulbs. If your bulbs are 3 years or older chances are they have faded and you are losing performance. Also a clear lens swap on the brz projectors makes a world of difference.

-B
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #35
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
If you ever have questions let me know. The 100w bulbs on stocking wiring is dangerous on these cars as it draws a lot and melts harnesses and clauses car fires often.

The deeps are already cleared. They would have to be sanded down then decorated if you did that.

The brz headlighting is only good with good bulbs. If your bulbs are 3 years or older chances are they have faded and you are losing performance. Also a clear lens swap on the brz projectors makes a world of difference.

-B
The whole headlight wiring was upgraded with beefier wiring, ceramic plugs, and a bigger dual weather tight Hella relay.

The BRZ bulbs are indeed coming up on 3 years old at this point. While paying it off is more of a priority than upgrades at this point, I'm a sucker for the best lighting I can get. I'll likely do the bulbs and lenses in spring, I appreciate the guidance!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #36
HeresMyMind

Quote:
The whole headlight wiring was upgraded with beefier wiring, ceramic plugs, and a bigger dual weather tight Hella relay.

The BRZ bulbs are indeed coming up on 3 years old at this point. While paying it off is more of a priority than upgrades at this point, I'm a sucker for the best lighting I can get. I'll likely do the bulbs and lenses in spring, I appreciate the guidance!
That's good to hear and very rare that people use proper harnesses and relays with upgrading to higher wattage bulbs.

If price is an issue I recommend the Morimoto 5500k bulbs (d4s) from www.theretrofitsource.com as they have a good reliability rating/reviews and a decent warranty.

Here is my brz with CBI D4S bulbs and the STI-r Clear lens with tuning.

-B

Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #37
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
That's good to hear and very rare that people use proper harnesses and relays with upgrading to higher wattage bulbs.

If price is an issue I recommend the Morimoto 5500k bulbs (d4s) from www.theretrofitsource.com as they have a good reliability rating/reviews and a decent warranty.

Here is my brz with CBI D4S bulbs and the STI-r Clear lens with tuning.

-B

I'm "different" in that regard. I often end up overdoing a lot of things trying to ensure it's all as correct as it can be. I also have (fairly unlimited) access to my fathers R&D facility which has walls and walls of wiring, connectors, sealants, relays, tools, etc which doesn't help.

Do you have any pictures of how your Forester headlights turned out?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #38
HeresMyMind

this is them before i painted my hood/fender to match

simple looks, they look stock, but perform way better.

-B
Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #39
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
this is them before i painted my hood/fender to match

simple looks, they look stock, but perform way better.

-B
Looks pretty good! I think the shroud may be what I'm hung up on. I'll have to try and find something a little more OEM looking. I really appreciate the guidance man!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #40
lin

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What is the process for tuning the clear lenses? How would you compare the improvement between stock 3yo bulbs vs bulb upgrade vs bulb & lens upgrade? Thanks for all the useful info on this thread.
lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #41
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin View Post
What is the process for tuning the clear lenses? How would you compare the improvement between stock 3yo bulbs vs bulb upgrade vs bulb & lens upgrade? Thanks for all the useful info on this thread.
tuning with clear lenses requires you to remove the projectors from the inside of the housings, and then remove the lenses with a flat blade screw driver, you then put the new lenses in, and then have to tune the shield by bending special tabs that hold it in place and trimming a 2ndary shield with a dremel. if you have never done headlight work before it can be tricky, but if you take your time you are fine.

3 year old bulbs that have been used a fair amount will realistically be around 75% of the brightness of new bulbs.

-B
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #42
lin

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
tuning with clear lenses requires you to remove the projectors from the inside of the housings, and then remove the lenses with a flat blade screw driver, you then put the new lenses in, and then have to tune the shield by bending special tabs that hold it in place and trimming a 2ndary shield with a dremel. if you have never done headlight work before it can be tricky, but if you take your time you are fine.

3 year old bulbs that have been used a fair amount will realistically be around 75% of the brightness of new bulbs.

-B
Thanks for the info that's a bit more involved than I had originally thought. I will start with new bulbs for better output, but still need to take care of my leaking tail lights first...
lin is offline   Reply With Quote