follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
Cobb should be coming out with one soon. But yes, right now it's only ecutek system. I'm curious to see what kind if gains Cobb can do.

Tap'd from my G-Nex
Where are you getting that information? Cobb at this point only has turbocharged applications and have more or less denied getting involved with this model.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
orbital is correct, no Cobb in pipeline/didnt sense any interest from them in our non turbocharged OE platform car.

As you can see the beta group is growing; Jeff is using both sea level & some high altitude beta testers for the general publics protection on the release candidate versions...awesome test methods, and kudos to Perrin as a company for their patience, lack of general greed driven rush to market practices-we all see the delay in release, and its for testing testing testing the safety(High altitude testers can lean out faster than lowlanaders) of pushing the limits and proving in a group that his results are truly consistent, so there wont be a mess of updates rolling out as fixes for a release that went out early. True refinement before making a final release.

Both running headerbacks, both in thin air.
The final release will be stronger than ever, safe, and a class act like all that I have seen from Perrin.

Its good to see the same uber positive responses from other folks running this tune!
Perrin coming to a track near you ...soon.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
orbital is correct, no Cobb in pipeline/didnt sense any interest from them in our non turbocharged OE platform car.

As you can see the beta group is growing; Jeff is using both sea level & some high altitude beta testers for the general publics protection on the release candidate versions...awesome test methods, and kudos to Perrin as a company for their patience, lack of general greed driven rush to market practices-we all see the delay in release, and its for testing testing testing the safety(High altitude testers can lean out faster than lowlanaders) of pushing the limits and proving in a group that his results are truly consistent, so there wont be a mess of updates rolling out as fixes for a release that went out early. True refinement before making a final release.

Both running headerbacks, both in thin air.
The final release will be stronger than ever, safe, and a class act like all that I have seen from Perrin.

Its good to see the same uber positive responses from other folks running this tune!
Perrin coming to a track near you ...soon.
Perrin is a great company.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to pay as much attention to their tunes as someone like @Visconti does. They aren't a specialized tuner, meaning it's not their primary business. It's just another product they will offer. So I feel that after they get a decent tune to release, then updates will be few and far between.

Whereas with someone who's only product is tuning, you're more apt to get updates more frequently and probably more geared towards the parts you have on your car. For example, Visconti has a specialized tune for pretty much ANY intake, whereas Perrin would probably only release a single tune for all intakes. Of course that is speculation at this point, but judging by what I've read in the thread. It sounds like what's most likely going to happen.

That's not to say anything bad about Perrin at all. I have a couple of their products and they are top notch quality. I'd also be more than willing to offer comparison dynos to Visconti's tune if they wanted to see how they stack up against the competition.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
brichard0625 (10-15-2012), xxscaxx (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't understand how @PERRIN_Jeff decided you guys were at high altitude, Guess Santa Fe, NM "Elevation 7,260 ft (2,134 m)" is thought to outside of the United States?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Perrin is a great company.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to pay as much attention to their tunes as someone like @Visconti does. They aren't a specialized tuner, meaning it's not their primary business. It's just another product they will offer. So I feel that after they get a decent tune to release, then updates will be few and far between.

Whereas with someone who's only product is tuning, you're more apt to get updates more frequently and probably more geared towards the parts you have on your car. For example, Visconti has a specialized tune for pretty much ANY intake, whereas Perrin would probably only release a single tune for all intakes. Of course that is speculation at this point, but judging by what I've read in the thread. It sounds like what's most likely going to happen.

That's not to say anything bad about Perrin at all. I have a couple of their products and they are top notch quality. I'd also be more than willing to offer comparison dynos to Visconti's tune if they wanted to see how they stack up against the competition.
Are you a paid employee of Visconti? There is no basis for that wall of text regarding Perrin. They've had some issues in the past but more or less, they have a great reputation as a shop. While I appreciate everything Visconti has done so far, time will tell if he will stick around. I've seen a few talented tuners like him rage quit the business.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Are you a paid employee of Visconti? There is no basis for that wall of text regarding Perrin. They've had some issues in the past but more or less, they have a great reputation as a shop. While I appreciate everything Visconti has done so far, time will tell if he will stick around. I've seen a few talented tuners like him rage quit the business.
I'm not sure how you read his post as if he is advertising for Visconti. I haven't bought a tune yet but I completely agree with him. I love Perrin as a company but Visconti seems to be on TOP of any issues that arise from tuning issues/etc. Its also funny because a post above his is coming from a tester of Perrin and the bias in that post is pretty damn apparent

Visconti is a Tuner. Perrin Performance while offering a tuning solution is not focused on tuning as much as someone who specializes in such.

I do agree, time will tell if he stays around, but from the looks of it, and after all the crap that has gone on already, if he hasn't left by this point I don't think hes going anywhere. I don't particularly care for how some of the issues were handled but at the end of the day, the dedication he has put forward on tuning makes him the frontrunner for a tuning solution.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
2forme

Garage
Quote:
What are you talking about?

There is complete basis for that post. It's a legitimate concern. I wasn't advocating Visconti, himself. I was referring to tuners LIKE Visconti. Read, man.

The FIRST line in the post was saying Perrin is a great shop. Again, read....

Your post has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and seems like it's only purpose is to discredit what I say (something you seem keen on trying to do for a couple posts now).

I'm saying this tune isn't their primary focus, and most likely won't get the same attention that a dedicated tuner LIKE Visconti would provide. Perhaps if there were more than one dedicated ECUTek tuner for the BRZ, I would use them as an example. Perrin has an entire catalog of excellent quality parts to worry about instead of just one tune.

John has put in the work to make sure his tunes run correctly under pretty much any scenario. Have you seen anything in this thread by Perrin saying they'll offer specialized tunes for an AFE intake? How about an AIRAID intake? Turbo kits? e85? Can I call/txt them @ 930 at night if I have an issue? THAT is my point. I'm sure their tune will work great for a lot of people, but there are people out there that want something a bit more directed towards their specific mods. And if they do take it this seriously, then all the better for the community! I will absolutely applaud them for it.

Hope this clarified things for you
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
I'm not sure how you read his post as if he is advertising for Visconti. I haven't bought a tune yet but I completely agree with him. I love Perrin as a company but Visconti seems to be on TOP of any issues that arise from tuning issues/etc. Its also funny because a post above his is coming from a tester of Perrin and the bias in that post is pretty damn apparent

Visconti is a Tuner. Perrin Performance while offering a tuning solution is not focused on tuning as much as someone who specializes in such.

I do agree, time will tell if he stays around, but from the looks of it, and after all the crap that has gone on already, if he hasn't left by this point I don't think hes going anywhere. I don't particularly care for how some of the issues were handled but at the end of the day, the dedication he has put forward on tuning makes him the frontrunner for a tuning solution.
Everyone loves those who treat them right. Where it goes wrong is when people go into threads about other products and post speculation while pimping an alternative product they personally like. That bothers me. It's just fucking rude. Wait for numbers, dynos, something real to compare then make the comparison.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #23
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
What are you talking about?

There is complete basis for that post. It's a legitimate concern. I wasn't advocating Visconti, himself. I was referring to tuners LIKE Visconti. Read, man.

The FIRST line in the post was saying Perrin is a great shop. Again, read....

Your post has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and seems like it's only purpose is to discredit what I say (something you seem keen on trying to do for a couple posts now).

I'm saying this tune isn't their primary focus, and most likely won't get the same attention that a dedicated tuner LIKE Visconti would provide. Perhaps if there were more than one dedicated ECUTek tuner for the BRZ, I would use them as an example. Perrin has an entire catalog of excellent quality parts to worry about instead of just one tune.

John has put in the work to make sure his tunes run correctly under pretty much any scenario. Have you seen anything in this thread by Perrin saying they'll offer specialized tunes for an AFE intake? How about an AIRAID intake? Turbo kits? THAT is my point. I'm sure their tune will work great for a lot of people, but there are people out there that want something a bit more directed towards their specific mods.

Hope this clarified things for you
Didn't read all. Just because you preface a statement with a compliment doesn't change the meaning of your entire statement. A bespoke tune from a knowledgeable tuner will always beat an off the shelf tune. This isn't news.
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #24
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Everyone loves those who treat them right. Where it goes wrong is when people go into threads about other products and post speculation while pimping an alternative product they personally like. That bothers me. It's just fucking rude. Wait for numbers, dynos, something real to compare then make the comparison.
Nothing I said was disrespectful or rude to Perrin. Next time read the whole post first.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #25
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
Nothing I said was disrespectful or rude to Perrin. Next time read the whole post first.
No you didn't. What I'm saying is that it's rude to come into a thread about a Perrin product and pimp Visconti. It's disrespectful to Perrin to simply assume they won't provide customized tunes when they haven't commented on the manner.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
2forme

Garage
Quote:
No you didn't. What I'm saying is that it's rude to come into a thread about a Perrin product and pimp Visconti. It's disrespectful to Perrin to simply assume they won't provide customized tunes when they haven't commented on the manner.
Well, it certainly wasn't my intent to pimp Visconti or be rude to Perrin. In fact, it was to incite a response as to what level of service they WILL offer. Perhaps I should have worded it differently.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
Well, it certainly wasn't my intent to pimp Visconti or be rude to Perrin. In fact, it was to incite a response as to what level of service they WILL offer. Perhaps I should have worded it differently.
Well, the lack of information from Perrin after the orgy of information early on is a little frustrating. I'll give you that. It's like there is some kind of header conspiracy. A company develops headers then falls off the face of the ft86 world.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Well, the lack of information from Perrin after the orgy of information early on is a little frustrating. I'll give you that. It's like there is some kind of header conspiracy. A company develops headers then falls off the face of the ft86 world.
That irritated me quite a bit. Especially since a couple of header claims were like 20+ whp.