follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
jc7993

Drives: Looking to buy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shifter Stuck at Shift Gate Occasionally?

As title suggests, this usually happens when I am trying to roll from stop on second gear and I thought that I am fully engaged in the gear but then hear the grinding sound when engaging the clutch but found out that it looks like the shifter is only halfway in...

I am thinking of upgrading to a short throw shifter and see if that will improve the quality of the experience but would like to hear everyone’s opinion first. Another reason why I want to upgrade is hopefully this will get rid of the occasional crunchy shifting feel when changing gears. I have already changed the engine oil and transmission fluid for the rear and front which only helped a little bit.

There is also a lot of play with the shifter itself while in gear... which I believe is caused by worn out bushings? Not sure if that would cause the issue I am having.

I think ultimately I want to have a better driving experience when driving this car and the only thing that is bothering me is the crunchy shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jc7993; 05-18-2019 at 06:56 PM.
jc7993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Let me guess it happens on 2nd and 3rd gear?
If you haven't replaced the tranny fluid now is a good time.
As for the short shifter, that won't make it go away it's the trannys gears. But if you want it, go for it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
jc7993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Let me guess it happens on 2nd and 3rd gear?
If you haven't replaced the tranny fluid now is a good time.
As for the short shifter, that won't make it go away it's the trannys gears. But if you want it, go for it.

Just updated my post to say that I already changed the transmission fluid and only helped a little bit.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Going to a short shifter setup made my car feel more crunchy.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
jc7993

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Going to a short shifter setup made my car feel more crunchy.

Curious as to what brand short throw you went with? I was thinking of the ft86speedfactory version with the optional MTEC shift spring kit.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc7993 View Post
Curious as to what brand short throw you went with? I was thinking of the ft86speedfactory version with the optional MTEC shift spring kit.

IRP v3 with MTEC springs.

It shifts fine no issues, it is not smooth at all like the stock shifter though. That short throw comes at a trade off. It is very "crrr-chunk, crrr-chunk."
Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
jc7993

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
IRP v3 with MTEC springs.

It shifts fine no issues, it is not smooth at all like the stock shifter though. That short throw comes at a trade off. It is very "crrr-chunk, crrr-chunk."

Oh dear... is that the long bolt action feel shifter? That shifter is too much for me hahaha

Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Oh dear... is that the long bolt action feel shifter? That shifter is too much for me hahaha

Gawd I hate that description.

It is a very precise feeling shifter, but it is not smooth by any means.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #9
jc7993

Since I’ve only had my first manual for about 2 months and changed the transmission fluid a week after I got the car, should I changed it again? Since during the 1st month I was still learning how to drive manual... Maybe that would smooth out when shifting gears.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
You don't learn how to drive stick in a month. You are still learning how to drive this manual, which is pickier than others about sloppy shifting. People like to tout that pickiness as a feature of a tight, sporty transmission. Haha... bullshit.

Without getting into details, it's picky because this particular combination of design priorities, including cost, resulted in a configuration with syncro clutches barely adequate for the job. That's all.

How many miles on your car now? It took mine a good 8000 miles before the syncros broke in (lapped together) enough to start working effectively. I did a lot of double clutching back in those days because - @Tcoat, back me up on this - I'm a little too touchy-feely about my shifting.

I suggest that you take this time to study up on how a manual transmission really works. Then move on to learning how to both upshift, and double-clutch-downshift in order to always be sinking into gear. By sinking, I mean from neutral, always engage a gear with the speed of the input side is spooling down to match that of the output. This way of shifting requires the least amount of work from the syncro clutches. @humfrz might suggest learning how to shift without a clutch altogether. Technically the syncros do no work in that situation.

If you're interested in this stuff, let me know.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
jc7993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You don't learn how to drive stick in a month. You are still learning how to drive this manual, which is pickier than others about sloppy shifting. People like to tout that pickiness as a feature of a tight, sporty transmission. Haha... bullshit.

Without getting into details, it's picky because this particular combination of design priorities, including cost, resulted in a configuration with syncro clutches barely adequate for the job. That's all.

How many miles on your car now? It took mine a good 8000 miles before the syncros broke in (lapped together) enough to start working effectively. I did a lot of double clutching back in those days because - @Tcoat, back me up on this - I'm a little too touchy-feely about my shifting.

I suggest that you take this time to study up on how a manual transmission really works. Then move on to learning how to both upshift, and double-clutch-downshift in order to always be sinking into gear. By sinking, I mean from neutral, always engage a gear with the speed of the input side is spooling down to match that of the output. This way of shifting requires the least amount of work from the syncro clutches. @humfrz might suggest learning how to shift without a clutch altogether. Technically the syncros do no work in that situation.

If you're interested in this stuff, let me know.

Thank you so much for your input. I bought my car used with a bit over 38500 miles, now it’s at 39500. I have tried double clutching at every shift but would definitely need more practice, now that it makes more sense to only double clutch while downshifting.

My main concern is the occasional shifter being stuck halfway sometimes even though I thought I put enough force to put it into gear and also the crunching feel when putting the shifter into gear.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Shifter Stuck at Shift Gate Occasionally?

Don't pull the shifter forward or back in one move. That 'notchyness' a lot of people complain about is actually the syncro doing its job. Instead pull it out of gear, then apply gentle pressure forward (or backward). The syncro will match the shaft collar speed to the gear, and it'll practically fall into gear.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Since I’ve only had my first manual for about 2 months and changed the transmission fluid a week after I got the car, should I changed it again? Since during the 1st month I was still learning how to drive manual... Maybe that would smooth out when shifting gears.

Hi ya, jc7993, and welcome to learning to shift a car with a manual transmission -

First off, I don't reckon you need to change the transmission oil again. The OEM stuff should last for as long as you own the car.

Second off, I don't think a short shifter is going to solve your problem, it may make it worse.

Third off, learning to smoothly shift this MT takes up a good section of the learning curve, especially if you haven't been on the curve before.

Forth off, I suggest you carefully re-read ol @Ultramaroon's post, he pointed out some really good stuff.

I order to help you get a "feel" for how a MT/clutch works, after you have read up on "how it works", you may try clutchless up shifting, as a lab phase of your course of study.

Yep, find a nice, uncrowded, quiet country road, driving by just yourself in the car. Start off in first gear and accelerate up to about 3,000 rpms. Now, let off the gas, and (without using the clutch), gently pull the shift lever out of first gear and slip it into second gear.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Now accelerate up to about 3,500 rpms and do the same thing, pushing out of second gear and slipping into third gear. Repeat going into fourth gear.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

It will take you a while to get the timing down and you may experience some slight gear "feedback" until you get it right, but, don't worry, contrary to some folks beliefs, this transmission id NOT made out of glass.

Remember, listen and feel to what the engine and driveline is telling you.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Now, after you have mastered this technique, when you introduce the clutch into the mix, shifting the MT will become a piece of cake.

Any questions?

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
jc7993 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I had a similar problem and apart from trying different fluids (first Motul and then Redline), MTEC springs and the Perrin/Whiteline trans bushing and support pretty much fixed the issues for me. The only times I get grinding is if I’m flooring in 1st and shifting at 7000+ rpm and forget to fully commit to the shift. Then it’s like GHAAAGHHGHERBEHGEFEHEV