follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 AM   #1
Noction

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Right knee pain

Hi all. I picked up a beautiful grey 2018 BRZ limited two days ago, and Im in love with it. But Ive been running into an issue that is ruining my enjoyment of the car after only 300 miles. Since I bought the car, Im noticing that my right knee and thigh become very painful after only 20 minutes of driving. The pain seems to be from the right knee radiating up to my mid thigh.

I am only 5'10" and 180lb so Im not huge, but I seem to be poorly proportioned for this car, with a shorter trunk and very long legs. Im weirded out by the pedal placement too, because the brake and clutch are almost two inches closer to me than the gas pedal. With the seat all the way back, and as low as possible, the gas pedal feels perfectly placed but the clutch and brake are too close and I have to akwardly twist my ankle to reach them, contributing to what I think is a repeatative joint injury. The brake pedal also feels very very stiff, but Im sure if this is normal and my last car didnt just have a loose brake pedal.

Is there a way to move the clutch and brake pedals backwards to be in line with the gas pedal, or move the gas pedal forward so I dont have to strain my calves to reach it? Am I just adjusting the seats wrong? I hate to consider returning the car, but this never happened when I was driving my old impreza. But at this rate, driving the car is straight up painful.
Noction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Try some pedal spacer, eg. this (will put gas pedal higher and closer to brake pedal).
About firmness of brake pedal .. i wonder what brake pads are currently on car?
Shouldn't seat be adjusted same in almost all the cars (with some very non standard cases)? - lower seat as much as possible; then move seat base forth-back so that legs on pedal are still slightly bent in knees instead of resting on seat padding; then adjust seat back so that you can put wrist on top of steering wheel without having to lean forth or detach shoulder from seat back. For later in many cases steering wheel needs to be moved closest to driver, as often adjustment range is often lacking.
In general, non straight legs let press if needed on pedal with greater force and tire less, and bent in elbow hands, instead of too straight with too leaned back back of seat, lets operate steering wheel with better precision and again less tiring, as you don't have to turn wheel with all of hand from body/shoulder and such.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i have nerve damage in my hip and knee and compared to the other cars i have driven the gas pedal is heavy which leads to fatigue in my right leg. Any time i go on a long trip i use cruise control and just rest my right foot on the pedal. Seems to work for me but your mileage may vary
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
arkanist (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I had the exact same thing. I went to a chiropractor and basically there was a lot of imbalance between my hips because of the way I was sitting in the car. He straightened out my pelvis after a couple months and the pain never came back. Also I started sitting up a bit more straight and not pumping the seat all the way down.
Joveen (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Try some pedal spacer, eg. this (will put gas pedal higher and closer to brake pedal).
About firmness of brake pedal .. i wonder what brake pads are currently on car?

Being that its a 2018 I'd guess, stock. OP doesn't specify if its a new one or not though.

OP- The pedals are not factory adjustable, but they do make spacers and different pedals, normally not used for what you're trying to do.

Play with the adjustment of the seat.... obviously we on the internet cannot fix you not adjusting your seat to be comfortable. That's figuring out what works for you and using it.

Return the car? Never really heard of this, you're an owner once you're off the lot in many cases. Even places that have a return policy is usually a buyback policy where the dealer wins either way.

This car is definitely not for everyone. Hope it works out for you in some way.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
I'm confused... you say it's your right leg in pain, but then say you have to twist your left ankle funny to press the clutch?

I'd be shocked if the seat all the way back is actually the right placement for your legs, I've had someone in the 6'4" range drive mine and they didn't have issues with the pedals. You should be able to put your left foot on the firewall behind the clutch with a slight bend in your knee
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'm confused... you say it's your right leg in pain, but then say you have to twist your left ankle funny to press the clutch?

I'd be shocked if the seat all the way back is actually the right placement for your legs, I've had someone in the 6'4" range drive mine and they didn't have issues with the pedals. You should be able to put your left foot on the firewall behind the clutch with a slight bend in your knee

Also his profile shows a 2018 Auto, but states clutch usage in first post......
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

Last edited by Breadman; 01-29-2019 at 10:33 AM. Reason: removed hotlink
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
arkanist (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Review your driving position and foot movement\placement on the pedals. You may also need to sort out your physical issues
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
right-foot clutching?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Noction

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Let me clarify. The issue isnt so much the clutch, but moving between the gas and brake pedal because of the gas pedal being farther back than the other two.

In my last car, I wouldnt really lift my leg to switch between them, and sort of just pivot my foot on my heel.

I feel like if I could move the seat two inches farther back and the gas pedal an inch forward, it would be perfect, but the seat is already as far back as it will go.

Brake pads are stock.
Noction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #12
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noction View Post
Let me clarify. The issue isnt so much the clutch, but moving between the gas and brake pedal because of the gas pedal being farther back than the other two.

In my last car, I wouldnt really lift my leg to switch between them, and sort of just pivot my foot on my heel.

I feel like if I could move the seat two inches farther back and the gas pedal an inch forward, it would be perfect, but the seat is already as far back as it will go.

Brake pads are stock.

so are you looking for a pedal spacer like this? http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...-s-brz-86.html
Old 01-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I am 5'10" 180 pounds and would find this car impossible to drive with the seat all the way back and all the way down. Try some other seat adjustments. Start by moving it forward and up a bit. As far as the pedal positions go you will get used them. You only have two days in the car.
wparsons (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am 5'10" 180 pounds and would find this car impossible to drive with the seat all the way back and all the way down. Try some other seat adjustments. Start by moving it forward and up a bit. As far as the pedal positions go you will get used them. You only have two days in the car.
Some people have weird proportions. I am 6'3" and my head is on the headliner, no room for a helmet at all. But if I post and ask for advice a bunch of 6'1" - 6'4" people will tell me how they can clear a helmet just fine.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arkanist For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-30-2019), wparsons (01-29-2019)