follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Paint Protection options

Has anyone hear used paint protection on their vehicle?

I got Cquartz Finest applied a few years ago, it was $600 to cover my entire vehicle. The shine and gloss is amazing. But it doesn't last forever. It's starting to wear off.

I can either spend another $600 to reapply it all over again, or i can try a different paint protection option.

There is Ceramic Pro, Optic Coat Pro, Modesta.

Does anyone have any experience with Ceramic pro, or Modesta or Optic Coat Pro? I wonder if i should choose something more permanent instead of reapplying Cquartz Finest every few years, even though that is the more affordable option. If anyone has any opinions or experiences, please share. thanks.
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You should xney that junk and go to toyota and let them put you some clear protection on. Scion protection consist of clear bra, bottom fender covers, bottom mirror covers. its awesome and protects the most effected spots while everyday driving. You can get this done at speed shops too or tint shops.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
If I recall correctly, @86geek has his car Opticoated. I'm sure he will be happy to share his experience.

(I hope its you! LOL)
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
86geek (04-28-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
mixtape
Posts in the nude

Drives: 2016 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
By "paint protection" are you referring, specifically, to coatings that maintain gloss and shine, or clear bra?

I have my whole front end covered with clear 3M and the car still looks brand new after 4,500 miles on the interstate.

Front bumper, full front fenders, full hood, half roof, half mirrors, headlights.

It makes it easier to wash and keeps it completely safe. In regards to coatings, I have three friends who detail professionally and they all use Opticoat - their customers are nothing but happy. Opticoat once every few years with Reload in between every few washes keeps the car looking brand new for an extensive amount of time.

"Lesbian trees have no wood." - Scoobs McGee
mixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I just put Matric Micro Coatings on my car. http://www.matrixmicrocoatings.com/shopexd.asp?id=36

So far I love it but it's only been on for 2 days. I'll eventually start a thread showing the process, but you can check out their site for more information. It comes with a 7 year warranty and so I assume it will last quite awhile. They have a corny video on their home page that explains the process better.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt9PmUHUj4A"]Matrix Micro-Coatings - YouTube[/ame]

I had a bit of pollen on my car this morning and I washed it off with just the water hose. It was pretty cool seeing the water sheet of the hood and end up almost perfectly dry on its own.

I installed it myself. It took a whole afternoon including using a claybar on the paint. The MMC7 system I used was $99 and the claybar kit was about $20.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
Has anyone hear used paint protection on their vehicle? ..............

Yes, I wax my car once per year ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got my car opticoated a week after picking it up, washing is such a breeze!
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #8
kev60625

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
I just put Matric Micro Coatings on my car. http://www.matrixmicrocoatings.com/shopexd.asp?id=36

So far I love it but it's only been on for 2 days. I'll eventually start a thread showing the process, but you can check out their site for more information. It comes with a 7 year warranty and so I assume it will last quite awhile. They have a corny video on their home page that explains the process better.

I had a bit of pollen on my car this morning and I washed it off with just the water hose. It was pretty cool seeing the water sheet of the hood and end up almost perfectly dry on its own.

I installed it myself. It took a whole afternoon including using a claybar on the paint. The MMC7 system I used was $99 and the claybar kit was about $20.

Please start the thread!
Going to look into this. I wonder how good the polish is though
kev60625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
morswestford

when i say paint protection i mean a glossy coating.

i used to have a 3m clear bra on my vehicle. i had a very bad experience. it got so many scratches on it. i ended up removing it because it got too many scratches.

i have reload and use that since i have cquartz finest. but i was wondering if i should choose a longer protection coating, more than just a few years. ceramic pro could last 5 years, if i pay the price for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtape View Post
By "paint protection" are you referring, specifically, to coatings that maintain gloss and shine, or clear bra?

I have my whole front end covered with clear 3M and the car still looks brand new after 4,500 miles on the interstate.

Front bumper, full front fenders, full hood, half roof, half mirrors, headlights.

It makes it easier to wash and keeps it completely safe. In regards to coatings, I have three friends who detail professionally and they all use Opticoat - their customers are nothing but happy. Opticoat once every few years with Reload in between every few washes keeps the car looking brand new for an extensive amount of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
Hot-Lava_Dave (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
when i say paint protection i mean a glossy coating.

i used to have a 3m clear bra on my vehicle. i had a very bad experience. it got so many scratches on it. i ended up removing it because it got too many scratches.

i have reload and use that since i have cquartz finest. but i was wondering if i should choose a longer protection coating, more than just a few years. ceramic pro could last 5 years, if i pay the price for it.

+1 for Opticoat
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:26 AM   #11
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
If I recall correctly, @86geek has his car Opticoated. I'm sure he will be happy to share his experience.

(I hope its you! LOL)

Yup, my car has Optimum Opti Coat Pro. 5 year warranty.
Check out the Optimum forum.

http://optimumforums.org/

Best thing is to find a authorized Opticoat installer in your area.
It's the prepping of the car that is a long process. Determining the cost will depend on whether or not your car needs a lot of paint correction before the Opticoat is applied. I got my car done 3 weeks after I bought it so not much paint correction was done. It only cost me $400.00.
The owner of the detail shop I went to now does Cquartz finest. I guess he got authorized for that product as well.

BTW the new coating Optimum has is called, "Optimum Gloss-Coat".
http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=51487

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
NLS8520

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would first purchase some Carpro Reset shampoo to see if that brings back some of the beading by breaking down any traffic film remaining on the surface of the coating.

If that does not resolve the issue, coating wise Cquartz finest is highly respected in the detailing community, I would contact your detailer for a quick polish, clay and re-application of finest.
NLS8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
morswestford

I just contacted about 10 detailers in my area. I am interested in either going with the Ceramic pro coating, or Modesta. I want to find something as glossy as Cquartz Finest but something that lasts longer than 2 years. Something scratch resistant and more durable.

Modesta is a new coating and can be used with a primer, and Ceramic Pro can be applied in layers as well.

Each detailer has their own opinion and experiences about the pros and cons of each coating. Pricing wise they both range between $1400-$1800 which includes a paint correction. It's just basically going to come down to which one I like better.

Anyone else have any experiences they want to share before i make up my mind?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #14
CFC BRZ

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
As soon as I bought the car, I had a detailer put on Opti-Coat Pro. The warranty is for five years but the product, supposedly lasts forever as it permanently bonds to the paint.

What it will do: You'll have an amazing shine regardless of the weather or conditions. Waxing is not needed so you cut out a lot of time and effort for amazing results. You'll still want to clean the car properly, but the coating makes cleaning easier. My neighbors always comment on it.

What it won't do: protect from regular wear. Eventhough my entire car is opti-coated, my bumper still looks horrible from highway driving (even at just under 10K miles). Rock chips, shopping carts, etc.

My honeymoon phase of worrying over every scratch is now over. Still, I think it was a great decision as the WRB sparkles every time.
CFC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote