follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDatSlaya View Post

The correct harness for this head unit.
Implying that I have the wrong harness?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
In for updates on this. I've been eyeing one of these for a while now.
Still great. No issues thus far. I had my first issue with the nav failing to launch, but the app started on the second try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_garage_queen View Post
Hi, Thanks for the post and the pics. Did you manage to put the bezel? Can you share pictures of the final result and of the kind of surgery you had to practice on the bezel? I am interested in buying the same HU model.

Thanks!
Still haven't finished it, as I've been lazy and don't have a dremel or an orbital sander. The head unit needs to get trimmed, or I need to get the schosche dash kit. But again, lazy and I've been busy with real life stuff.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #17
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Still great. No issues thus far. I had my first issue with the nav failing to launch, but the app started on the second try.

Still haven't finished it, as I've been lazy and don't have a dremel or an orbital sander. The head unit needs to get trimmed, or I need to get the schosche dash kit. But again, lazy and I've been busy with real life stuff.
I've just installed this headunit and have the same clearance issue with the dash trim. It looks like the two bottom corners need to be rounded off to fit within the dash trim. Would you agree, or what is your assessment?
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #18
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I've just installed this headunit and have the same clearance issue with the dash trim. It looks like the two bottom corners need to be rounded off to fit within the dash trim. Would you agree, or what is your assessment?
The top and bottom of the head unit bezel need to be shaved down where they're at their widest.

Edit: or you can spend the 30 or 40 bucks on a trim kit like the one mentioned above.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #19
ajcarson11

Quote:
The top and bottom of the head unit bezel need to be shaved down where they're at their widest.

Edit: or you can spend the 30 or 40 bucks on a trim kit like the one mentioned above.
I did some research on this, and at least for me, the bracket that mounts to the headunit to the car needed to be adjusted. No need for trimming.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I did some research on this, and at least for me, the bracket that mounts to the headunit to the car needed to be adjusted. No need for trimming.
Please elaborate, as it might help every single person who bought this head unit.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #21
ajcarson11

Quote:
Please elaborate, as it might help every single person who bought this head unit.
Yes sir -- Take a look at the first few pages of this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88778

You'll see several instances of folks who had to 'bend the bracket' or 'trim the nipples' off of the bracket. Specifically note Post #26.

If you read the first 10 pages or so you'll see additional comments about how to make this work.

I was able to get my trim within 1mm of fitting. I didn't want to mess the bracket any farther.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #22
Cole
Not a troll

For anyone interested, what I did to make the head unit fit was drill holes about 5mm back from where the stock holes were. When I'm home next, I'll get some pictures put up. Still working on a solution for the left and right gaps on the head unit, will report back once I've figured something out.

Also, Joying emailed me about posting an amazon review, and asked if I had any trouble with installing the unit. I told them about the problems I had, and they replied with "Well, it's your fault since you didn't tell us what vehicle you were installing it onto when you ordered". So let that be a warning for anyone who buys this, don't even bother talking to the customer service people unless you absolutely have to.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
FT86.ca

Drives: '15 BRZ, '05 Acura TL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi Cole,

Why didn't you use the JY-TL123N2? Wouldn't this be a perfect fit for the Toyota/Subaru opening in the dash?

Looks like a new model perhaps it just came out? Thanks for all your information on this btw!

Regards,

Vic

https://www.carjoying.com/android-5-...-din-wifi.html
FT86.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #24
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86.ca View Post

I have the older 1GB/16GB version of that...the only reason I haven't upgraded is that, for some reason the JY-TL123N2 is the only unit they sell that still has a 800x480 screen. WTF?
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #25
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86.ca View Post
Hi Cole,

Why didn't you use the JY-TL123N2? Wouldn't this be a perfect fit for the Toyota/Subaru opening in the dash?

Looks like a new model perhaps it just came out? Thanks for all your information on this btw!

Regards,

Vic

https://www.carjoying.com/android-5-...-din-wifi.html
Wanted the bigger screen
Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #26
g0lds

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to buy this exact HU soon. Can you show pics of how you modified the bracket for fitment? Also, what wire harness adapter did you use (assuming you didn't hard wire the joying to the car's harness)
g0lds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lds View Post
I'm going to buy this exact HU soon. Can you show pics of how you modified the bracket for fitment? Also, what wire harness adapter did you use (assuming you didn't hard wire the joying to the car's harness)
I can post a picture of the bracket -- But it'll be a bit. You may have to PM me if I forget

I didn't end up needing any extra harnesses outside of the one Joying provides in the box (which is the toyota universal harness). With that being said, I didn't care to retain OEM USB, AUX, or Radio antenna. If you want any of those, then you'll want to purchase this:

https://www.carjoying.com/joying-har...ess-cable.html

Note: The joying harness (which attaches the headunit to the OEM harnesses in your dash) has an orange wire called 'Amp cont' that is not connected to a connector (it is just hanging loose). I had to take this wire, attach a pin to it, and stick the pin in the 10pin connector where there is a blank spot. If you don't do this, then the factory amp won't fire up when you start your headunit/car, and you'll end up with very weak sounding audio (or if you are using OEM+ like i am, then you won't get any audio at all).

I can also explain this if needed -- Just PM me.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #28
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lds View Post
I used an angle grinder to remove the nipples on the OEM radio bracket, then drilled extra holes that moved the HU back 3 or 4mm.

I used the wiring harness that Joying provides, along with a metra harness for Toyota's, as well as a metra harness for the radio antenna and an axxess harness for the OEM USB.

Since this is a universal unit, you'll need to buy your harness separately, so don't expect the radio to ship with a Toyota harness unless you request it from Joying