follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
OK, geez, MomHawk constantly bugging me to exercise, now you guys are at it too!

Actually, I've dropped a total of right at 100lbs in the last 20 months back down to my high school weight and within view of my "proper" BMI. I guess I really should start exercising...

Subscribed, maybe you guys will inspire me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
zaptorque (03-20-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #30
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
protein powder is an equivalent to whole meals. I can attest to this as I frequently sub out a few meals with protein shakes/protein sludge. Its just a faster and more convenient way of eating.

There are plenty of supplements that work, but they are meant as that and nothing more.

I take fish oil, vitamins, a probiotic, vitamin c & d daily. I've used other supplements such as ECA, and GDA blockers with success as well. Haven't done those in a long while though.

I drink an intra workout shake that consists of carbs.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #31
meow_mix
Good kitty...

Drives: Blür
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
5'6" - 175lbs. - I don't care how much I can lift.

I used to work out fairly regularly (2-3 times per week) but have really been lazy lately. It's been a few months since a friend and I have worked out together and it's really just because we're both in school full time and work full time so it's hard to want to workout in the little spare time we have. I need to get back into it though because my 'figure' isn't quite where I'd like it to be.

When I worked out I would just go do random stuff working out whatever I felt like. My lower body has always been muscular so I honestly never work it out, I mainly do upper body. I know this can cause you to be disproportionate but I have rather large legs and I don't see this as the case for me. I too felt it restricting doing a certain number of reps. I felt like if I aimed for 10, my body would want to start giving out around 7 or 8 and be exhausted by 10. But if I went for however many I could do, I found I could do several more than 10 at the same weight.

Eating healthy is probably my hardest thing as well. I love eating and find it hard to resist fatty foods.

SCA - Very nice, man. Excellent improvement!
meow_mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #32
HATED1

Drives: 86
Thanked 1,045 Times in 443 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Garage
P90x

Started on February 1 2010, did the p90x not once but twice. The second time around however i was lacking heavy weights so started mixing it up at the gym more often. My goal at this point is to get lean and gain about 10 more pounds of muscle and loose weight around my gut area.

before

after 1 year, current pic.

My diet consisted of daily vitamins, protein and 3 of the weight watcher type microwave meals a day, with healthy snacks in between.

I would strongly suggest giving the program a try, it really does help.
HATED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #33
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Well, just ordered some more whey and the orange triad. I've got 8 days left in my vitapak program so I ordered faster shipping, hopefully it gets here in time. I didn't realize I was so low.

Went to the gym again tonight but was actually still a little sore, guess the week caught up with me. I took it easier, but I'll probably have to skip tomorrow, which sucks, but I'm not looking to hurt myself.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #34
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hated 1 you look great man, well done.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmy_Jones For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #35
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Well, just ordered some more whey and the orange triad. I've got 8 days left in my vitapak program so I ordered faster shipping, hopefully it gets here in time. I didn't realize I was so low.

Went to the gym again tonight but was actually still a little sore, guess the week caught up with me. I took it easier, but I'll probably have to skip tomorrow, which sucks, but I'm not looking to hurt myself.
Are you doing full body workouts? Maybe split up the routine. The only overlap which gets me is legs and back. What does your routine look like?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #36
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
OK, geez, MomHawk constantly bugging me to exercise, now you guys are at it too!

Actually, I've dropped a total of right at 100lbs in the last 20 months back down to my high school weight and within view of my "proper" BMI. I guess I really should start exercising...

Talk about BMI is fine for non-athletes. If you are in the gym, don't focus on BMI. I am 5'9" and weigh 212-215, hell I am obese on that scale. I've forced myself there from 140 over the past 6-7 years. Waist has always been 32-33".
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #37
Timmy_Jones
Spun

It's a bummer everyone looking to get back in the gym is so far away. Anyone in ME/NH is always welcome to join me.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #38
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki_levin View Post
I do a push/pull routine with reprange around 5 for the compounds and 8-10 for other exercises. I train 3 times a week for 1 hour per session.

My diet mainly consists of lean foods and lots of it.

When i started i weighted 122lbs, i'm now at 150lbs so i'm doing something right .
Probably one of the best type of workouts I've read about. Seems to work for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4png View Post
GNC is way overpriced, even their discount price is overpriced. Also, careful with supplements, they are only suppose to be use to supplement what you eat. Eating healthy is the first goal. A lot of sites have professionals swearing by supplements and it may seem promising especially if they say "in a study... it worked". But guess who sponsors those studies? The companies that make the supplement. Just an FYI for anyone who plans on going on supplements hoping for amazing results. Give your body a try before giving supplements a try.
I agree with you 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
protein powder is an equivalent to whole meals. I can attest to this as I frequently sub out a few meals with protein shakes/protein sludge. Its just a faster and more convenient way of eating.
umm...I'd REALLY take caution when doing this. I've talked to some very intelligent professors who work with some supplement companies and has been a professional body builder who told us to not use protein shakes as a whole meal. I believe some protein powders even say *Do not use as a whole source of nutrition*. The body needs whole food, if you're going to swap a meal/snack with some drink, I would suggest "juicing." That is a much more natural way of eating the right things in a much more efficient way.

Im no expert, you can do what you like but it just doesnt seem natural.

Sidenote: I just read my protein powder mix and it states: Do not use as a whole source of nutrition.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #39
ihaskrayon
The Comedian

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Not to be homo or anything, but I really think this thread needs more pictures. I'm sure a lot of people will get motivated seeing people change and what they can become if they work hard and start eating right.

I'm one of those people that can pretty much eat anything and not gain a pound. I would say if anything, I've gained a little bit of weight due to alcohol. Now that I've cut that down a lot (only drink 2-4 beers a week) I feel better since I've been working to raise my cardio the past few weeks and have noticed my stomach getting slimmer. I would say that I'm about 130lbs +/-.

I feel that one of my main struggles is gaining weight to build muscle. I agree with M-17 that I would like to stay as natural as possible. I try to eat healthy and the only kind of supplement I use is whey protein powder post work out. Other than that, I don't really use anything else.
ihaskrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #40
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

Actually, I've dropped a total of right at 100lbs in the last 20 months back down to my high school weight and within view of my "proper" BMI.
Whoa!

That's an accomplishment. And without exercise?

Quote:
I guess I really should start exercising...
"Exercising," you say. And right away it's a deterrent, right? Just the word alone makes you cringe, I'll bet. And why not? It's a chore to most people and after the initial novelty wears off, most people drop it, hence the ubiquitous exercise machines for sale with very low miles on them.

Here's the "secret," hawk man: Find an enjoyable activity/sport. It should be pleasurable and even fun. If it's just "exercise" then it is unlikely to be sustainable for the rest of your life ... as it should be, and needs to be if you're to succeed. Most people do not succeed with mere "exercise."

Walking has much to recommend it, actually, and your wife can join you. It may even lead to running.

I recommend you take up cycling, if possible.

Be warned, however, "serious" bikes can cost $8000-$13,000. That's at the upper end, however, and hardly a starting point. Yes, I'm talking about the ones we have to pedal, not motorcycles.

I recommend a used bike from a reputable bike shop. Do your homework first, because the level of knowledge and skill you encounter at even a decent bike shop is often not all it could be. You might get lucky, but... Do your homework, anyway, just like you do with your auto purchases.

Walmart bikes are not the way to go. They're not just inexpensive, they're cheap, and it's hard to imagine anyone enjoying their start in cycling on such a device.

Two big names: Specialized and Trek, but there are many others, too. Used bikes can be had for 1/2 the price of new, or less.

Used high-end bikes these days present a problem; many have carbon fiber frames, and there's no such thing as a transferrable warranty on a carbon frame to my knowledge. Hard to know what you're getting there, and it could turn into an expensive mistake when it cracks and fails, possibly catastrophically due to a previous impact with the previous owner.

Quote:
So long as you understand that these fellows here are focused primarily on body building, not fitness.

There's a big difference. Body builders certainly CAN be fit, but I doubt many are. I'm not disparaging their pursuits here; this is perfectly legitimate, but not, perhaps, what your wife had in mind.

What is "fit?"

Bruce Jenner when he won Olympic Gold. See images of him at the time.

One must get the heartrate and respiration rate well up, and keep it well up for a sustained period of time. Optimally, 45 minutes and longer at a time, a minimum of three times per week, but more, if possible.

Learn about, and invest in a heartrate monitor. They're inexpensive these days. A HR monitor is like a tachometer for your body. Very useful.

Runners, cyclists, and cross-country skiers tend to be very fit. You won't find many body builders amongst that group. And again, that's not to say anything against body builders. I just question how useful that would be to you, apart from employing weight training to enhance your performance in your chosen sport(s).

Weight training can be an end unto itself, but by itself rarely leads to fitness. Cardio-pulmonary fitness is found in those who move over long distances. That's the fitness your wife hopes for you as she imagines a long, healthy life with you extending many decades into the future.

Perhaps read from Dr. George Sheehan's works. George, now dead, alas, was the "Running Doc." Maybe running will appeal to you.

How old are you?
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #41
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Are you doing full body workouts? Maybe split up the routine. The only overlap which gets me is legs and back. What does your routine look like?
My workout is a 6 day routine that I just started last week. I work chest/cardio monday and thursday, back/cardio tuesday and friday, and arms/legs, no cardio wednesday and saturday. I mainly use the various machines that target those muscle groups. Normally my arms are pretty well recovered from my arm day in time for the others, but my arms were pretty sore last night so I don't want to push them today.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #42
zenki_levin
Road Warrior

Drives: AE86 Levin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaskrayon View Post
Not to be homo or anything, but I really think this thread needs more pictures. I'm sure a lot of people will get motivated seeing people change and what they can become if they work hard and start eating right.

I'm one of those people that can pretty much eat anything and not gain a pound. I would say if anything, I've gained a little bit of weight due to alcohol. Now that I've cut that down a lot (only drink 2-4 beers a week) I feel better since I've been working to raise my cardio the past few weeks and have noticed my stomach getting slimmer. I would say that I'm about 130lbs +/-.

I feel that one of my main struggles is gaining weight to build muscle. I agree with M-17 that I would like to stay as natural as possible. I try to eat healthy and the only kind of supplement I use is whey protein powder post work out. Other than that, I don't really use anything else.
Here's some info from bb.com to gain weight.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hard...tion-tips.html