follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Foam Gun: Necessary?

For all those people out there who wash and maintain their cars on their own, do you find this to be a necessity in washing your car on a regular basis?

I'm beginning to assemble an arsenal of products for the upkeep of the exterior, but trying not to go overboard. Thus, seeing what items are necessary and what isn't.

Any recommendation for or against foam guns, and certain brands?
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
W2

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm in the same boat. I just placed a big order on Auto Geek but left out the foam gun. I did see someone use a Miracle Grow sprayer as a make shift foam gun on one of these forums.
W2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I just placed a big order on Auto Geek but left out the foam gun. I did see someone use a Miracle Grow sprayer as a make shift foam gun on one of these forums.
I'm the one that uses the miracle grow sprayer and must say that it works great. It's not high pressure, which could cause damage, but sprays on very nicely. And only $10. Worth trying anyway.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
GuySmily

Drives: MR2
I bought this foam gun and love it. It's the cheaper version, but I like the big adjustment wheel on top, and I remember reading that the more expensive version also has weak plastic connectors instead of brass.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-95QGFMR-Foamaster-Cleaning-Sprayer/dp/B000Y190WE/"]Amazon.com: Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

No more bucket. I just spray off my mitt.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GuySmily For This Useful Post:
davisk6 (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
davisk6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
I bought this foam gun and love it. It's the cheaper version, but I like the big adjustment wheel on top, and I remember reading that the more expensive version also has weak plastic connectors instead of brass.

Amazon.com: Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have the same one. For $30 it's worth it.
davisk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Amazon.com: Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I'm not sure exactly which "more expensive version" of that gun you're talking about, but I recently got this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-75QGFMR-Foamaster-Adjustable-Cleaning/dp/B000XTH1GY/"]Amazon.com: Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame] and it definitely has brass fittings, not weak plastic connectors.
Miniata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
I'm not sure exactly which "more expensive version" of that gun you're talking about, but I recently got this one Amazon.com: Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun: Patio, Lawn & Garden and it definitely has brass fittings, not weak plastic connectors.
How much soap do you need for one wash and how long can you spray for until you run out X amount of soap?
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
GuySmily

Drives: MR2
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly which "more expensive version" of that gun you're talking about, but I recently got this one Amazon.com: Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun: Patio, Lawn & Garden and it definitely has brass fittings, not weak plastic connectors.
Can't remember where I read it, but that's good to hear. So is yours a fixed-ratio gun? The top of it does look nice and streamlined, but I wonder why it costs a few bucks more when it's missing that feature. I notice it has better reviews (slightly) than mine too.

Does yours leak slowly if it's upside down? Mine does.

One nice thing about variable ratio is you don't need to worry about getting an exact mix of soap:water in the bottle. And I can do 0 soap / 100% water without disconnecting (though the pressure isn't as good)
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
W2

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I'm the one that uses the miracle grow sprayer and must say that it works great. It's not high pressure, which could cause damage, but sprays on very nicely. And only $10. Worth trying anyway.
I was actually eyeing the Miracle Grow when I was at Home Depot on the way home. I might give it a try here soon.

I was actually there picking up a new pressure washer and noticed in the aisle they had a foam cannon attachment for $18. I don't know how well it would work but it might be worth looking into for some of you that have pressure washers.
W2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Miniata

Quote:
Can't remember where I read it, but that's good to hear. So is yours a fixed-ratio gun? The top of it does look nice and streamlined, but I wonder why it costs a few bucks more when it's missing that feature. I notice it has better reviews (slightly) than mine too.

Does yours leak slowly if it's upside down? Mine does.

One nice thing about variable ratio is you don't need to worry about getting an exact mix of soap:water in the bottle. And I can do 0 soap / 100% water without disconnecting (though the pressure isn't as good)
I just got mine this past weekend, and haven't used it much yet, but it has a sliding brass valve on the top with five different settings (six if you count the 0 soap setting). I'll post back after I've had a chance to use it more this weekend.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Miniata

Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
How much soap do you need for one wash and how long can you spray for until you run out X amount of soap?
Still playing around with it, but with my Gilmour foam gun today when I was washing our Forester XT, I put 1 cup of Meguiars Crystal Car Wash in the container on the foam gun, then filled it the rest of the way up with water (another 4 cups). I started out on setting 2 of 5, but spent most of my time on setting 3, the middle setting. Worked pretty well, although it will take a little time to perfect my technique with the foam gun, microfiber mit, and fireman's type hose nozzle.

If turned upside down the mixture will come out of mine too, there is a hole near the top of the brass fitting that allows the soap mixture to come out if inverted, it appears to be there by design. Wasn't a problem since I never turned it upside down (except to check what would happen).
Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Alright, this is great news. What type of soap are you using with these guns then? Anything special or Meguiars, etc.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Still playing around with it, but with my Gilmour foam gun today when I was washing our Forester XT, I put 1 cup of Meguiars Crystal Car Wash in the container on the foam gun, then filled it the rest of the way up with water (another 4 cups). I started out on setting 2 of 5, but spent most of my time on setting 3, the middle setting. Worked pretty well, although it will take a little time to perfect my technique with the foam gun, microfiber mit, and fireman's type hose nozzle.

If turned upside down the mixture will come out of mine too, there is a hole near the top of the brass fitting that allows the soap mixture to come out if inverted, it appears to be there by design. Wasn't a problem since I never turned it upside down (except to check what would happen).
That is a LOT of soap! I've not finished off my last 64oz car wash, some turtle wax stuff, in nearly 10 years of washing between 3-4 cars at least 8 times a year each. Got a 128oz container of ONR just waiting to be opened. Should last till I'm 90 or so!
michaelahess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Miniata

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
That is a LOT of soap! I've not finished off my last 64oz car wash, some turtle wax stuff, in nearly 10 years of washing between 3-4 cars at least 8 times a year each. Got a 128oz container of ONR just waiting to be opened. Should last till I'm 90 or so!
Yeah, it was too much. First time using the foam gun, I figured I'd rather err on the side of too much soap than not enough. I still had about 1/4 of the mixture left over when I was done. I'll probably use half as much next time, and keep going down from there. Are you using that little of soap in 10 years with a foam gun or conventional washing?