follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #57
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
If you are talking about the non-insured driver that causes the accident. If they can't afford car insurance ... I doubt the non-insured individual would be able to pay any of those other penalties you speak of.
not all u8ninsured people are too poor to afford insurance, that's an elitist comment tbh and disrespectful to people living under the poverty line (some are just public dangers that cant' get insured, some don't have licences for various reasons, etc.)

Also ever heard of a thing called garnishments of salary and seizure of material property? Very useful in situations such as this.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #58
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortybryant View Post
Quick update...

I received a copy of the crash report today. Apparently the driver at fault DID NOT have insurance. Luckily, I have Uninsured Motorist coverage with my insurance company.

The downside: I do not have GAP coverage (mistake on my part, will definitely be purchasing in the future if I ever buy a new car). I checked the KBB value of the car the other day. It is currently valued at $4-6k less than what I owe, so I've got to come up with that difference.

Insurance company informed me today that in order to buy the car back, they will only ask salvage value, which to me is scrap value, which is around $200/ton in my area. Puts it at around $280 to buy back. If this is the case, I'll definitely be going that route.
Hell yeah always buy it back. You can make back quite a bit parting it out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #59
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Hell yeah always buy it back. You can make back quite a bit parting it out.

Plus you can transfer some of the surviving mods.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #60
mortybryant

Drives: Scion FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit View Post
sorry for your loss. as a fellow RS1 owner I understand being upset. its something I think about a lot when driving my own car. I fear someone hitting me and then not being able to find a replacement. with only 1500 around odds of getting another is slim.

I found (2) in the entire US, both are automatics. I had an automatic, but if I get another, it's gotta be a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mortybryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #61
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I honestly don't know what the laws are in Tennessee. IMO, if she didn't have insurance, there's probably no point in suing her for being a pain in my a$$.

This is the first accident I've been involved in, so I'm not 100% on what my options are. I understand my insurance will pay the value of the car, but as stated earlier, there's a gap there that needs to be covered. I've also got $4k+ in mods, and the car is in Chattanooga, and I have no way of getting it to Indiana easily.

I would obviously like to go after the involved parties for compensation of everything, but I'm just not sure it would be worth it.

It's well within your rights and you SHOULD be taking her to court to cover the difference and then some. Just because she didnt have insurance doesnt mean she's broke, some people are just stupid.

It can be well worth it and in some places filing a civil suit can cost as little as 100 bucks. Well worth it if she has to pay you 4K or more.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to headlikeahole For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #62
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
not all u8ninsured people are too poor to afford insurance, that's an elitist comment tbh and disrespectful to people living under the poverty line (some are just public dangers that cant' get insured, some don't have licences for various reasons, etc.)

Also ever heard of a thing called garnishments of salary and seizure of material property? Very useful in situations such as this.
LOL if you can afford insurance and you don't have it you're either dumb as shit or have enough money in the bank it doesn't matter. (Some places will allow you to put $140k or whatever the minimum insurance coverges add up to in your state in a special account and then you insure yourself). I HIGHLY doubt that's the case though.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #63
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Not to continue to threadjack. But sorry if the comment came off elitist. That wasn't my intent. If anything ... I was being understanding of the possible reason why an individual does not have car insurance. Lack of resources.

p1l0t (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #64
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
It's well within your rights and you SHOULD be taking her to court to cover the difference and then some. Just because she didnt have insurance doesnt mean she's broke, some people are just stupid.

It can be well worth it and in some places filing a civil suit can cost as little as 100 bucks. Well worth it if she has to pay you 4K or more.
Shit for all OP knows she's been in 20 dui accidents and cannot get insured anymore all the while being worth 2 billions. making assumption on insurance coverage to determine the income of someone is just idiotic.

Hell I often downdress when shopping for large items (cars, appliances, etc.) just to gauge the reaction of the people. When I'm dressed like ass and salesman ignore me I make sure to get noticed by them, show them I ain't a hobo and then promptly tell them they are asses and that I shall be taking my business to their nearest competitor). You should see car salesmen and shit try to backpedal to convince you to stay, judging someone entire life situation based on a tiny aspect of it is not a good or helpful way to go through life. just because I don't care about what I look doesn't mean I can,t afford a 40k car, just because she doesn't have insurance doesn't mean she isn't loaded up the wazoo and just an idiot or ****
Old 03-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #65
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Not to continue to threadjack. But sorry if the comment came off elitist. That wasn't my intent. If anything ... I was being understanding of the possible reason why an individual does not have car insurance. Lack of resources.

Is your sarcasm detector on the fritz or is my transponder not working properly

No harm meant, didn't think that's how you meant it but figured it'd be fun for me to highlight how one could perceive it that way.

The important question is did it make you feel bad at all? If so my mission is complete... now that you know I was just messing around
Old 03-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #66
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Every day of the past 2 months or so I think about the RS 1.0. I have seen a few and really, really, really, absolutely love the color. The ground effects and everything is a tad much, BUT, I remember when the Genesis Coupe first came out. They offered it in yellow. Back in college someone drove one around town. I loved that thing. Actually, what I really want is a yellow GT350 Mustang someday. I would settle for an FR-S, however.

Ah, well, good thing you are okay.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #67
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
LOL if you can afford insurance and you don't have it you're either dumb as shit or have enough money in the bank it doesn't matter. (Some places will allow you to put $140k or whatever the minimum insurance coverges add up to in your state in a special account and then you insure yourself). I HIGHLY doubt that's the case though.

or don't have a licence which disqualifies you from being insured as a driver. Or you have so many at fault collisions or dui's or arrest related to driving that no insurance company will touch you with a 10 foot pole covered in saran wrap that's been decontaminated and handled by a guy in a biohazard suit.
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #68
p1l0t

Quote:
or don't have a licence which disqualifies you from being insured as a driver. Or you have so many at fault collisions or dui's or arrest related to driving that no insurance company will touch you with a 10 foot pole covered in saran wrap that's been decontaminated and handled by a guy in a biohazard suit.
Yeah, could be.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #69
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
@mortybryant ..... Fumanchu1 has a valid point. Maybe you should do some more investigation of this at fault driver with no car ins. Maybe this individual has resources to help you out.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #70
Nisien

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Without a doubt the worst day of my life yesterday. On my way to Import Alliance in Atlanta when someone two cars behind me wasn't paying attention and caused a 6 car accident. I was right in the middle in my RS1.0. Pretty sure it's totaled. Ruined my entire day...

Attachment 133609

Attachment 133610

Dude sorry to hear that wreck was someone from here. I had to change my route to get around the accident.
Nisien is offline   Reply With Quote