follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembo View Post
Looks so good in that blue.

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45619895/kwv18.jpg[g]

This is 20mm on KWv1 (the stainless steel version of the ST that people here rate) from Germany where the best coilovers come from. That's the maximum height; I can go another 30mm down if I wanted to.

As a bonus I've learned two new german words from the box: Edelstahl (weil Edelstahl nicht rostet), and naturlich Gewindefahrwerke.

Only reason for lowering springs is to save money, whereas coilovers can make the car better. These are quite firm, but far more composed than the standard dampers, which are always going to be compromised running at a lower height. But even if your only concern is looks you can adjust the height with coilovers. I think a lot of people with lowering springs end up disappointed with the amount of low. Factor in that you may be shortening the life of your dampers and may have to buy new ones anyway you may as well buy a decent package from day one. IMO.
Sure, I may shorten the life of my stock dampers, but barely used stock dampers come up in the classifieds very often for next to nothing. Hell, even buying new stock ones will only cost about 500
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #16
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembo View Post
Only reason for lowering springs is to save money, whereas coilovers can make the car better. These are quite firm, but far more composed than the standard dampers, which are always going to be compromised running at a lower height. But even if your only concern is looks you can adjust the height with coilovers. I think a lot of people with lowering springs end up disappointed with the amount of low. Factor in that you may be shortening the life of your dampers and may have to buy new ones anyway you may as well buy a decent package from day one. IMO.
You know, the stock springs and struts are coilovers.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Bykov (03-07-2016), go_a_way1 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
You know, the stock springs and struts are coilovers.
Eh, it's fun to be pedantic but I think in this forum we're all speaking the same language that 'coilover' = 'off the shelf matched spring and damper set'
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #18
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Eh, it's fun to be pedantic but I think in this forum we're all speaking the same language that 'coilover' = 'off the shelf matched spring and damper set'
I'm being pedantic because it's foolhardy to say that 'coilover' = better than stock, when we know that not to be the case. It's the same sort of logic that results in folks buying crap and not knowing better. It's 2005. We can do better than that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-04-2016), soulreapersteve (02-04-2016), strat61caster (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #19
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am with @jawn on this issue. Not all off the shelf stuff is good, some is even worse then stock. Some people are okay with that as they just want to go low and dont drive hard. That is why those brands are still around.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Quote:
I'm being pedantic because it's foolhardy to say that 'coilover' = better than stock, when we know that not to be the case. It's the same sort of logic that results in folks buying crap and not knowing better. It's 2005. We can do better than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I am with @jawn on this issue. Not all off the shelf stuff is good, some is even worse then stock. Some people are okay with that as they just want to go low and dont drive hard. That is why those brands are still around.
Well the post that generated the pedantry didn't imply that all coilovers are an upgrade (explicitly stating that they "can make the car better"), I agree sometimes (most times) you get what you pay for.

It's silly, there's no non-coilover package for this car by strict definition, OE is coilovers, lowering springs on stock dampers are coilovers, $600 ebay spring/damper combos are coilovers just like $12k Penske's. It's a non-distinction in this discussion unless everyone agrees and has generated 5 useless posts so far.

It's like when the interior decorator (gf, wife, paid professional, gay uncle Joe) asks you to choose between paint colors and you say "the white one" and they groan and say "eggshell or buttercup?" and really all you care about is that it's not puke colored.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-09-2016), go_a_way1 (02-04-2016), jawn (02-04-2016), Teseo (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #21
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I want to go an inch lower but I already scrape when going up the entrance to parking lot at work.

Should check how the midpipe is holding up...
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #22
jawn

Quote:
Well the post that generated the pedantry didn't imply that all coilovers are an upgrade (explicitly stating that they "can make the car better"), I agree sometimes (most times) you get what you pay for.

It's silly, there's no non-coilover package for this car by strict definition, OE is coilovers, lowering springs on stock dampers are coilovers, $600 ebay spring/damper combos are coilovers just like $12k Penske's. It's a non-distinction in this discussion unless everyone agrees and has generated 5 useless posts so far.

It's like when the interior decorator (gf, wife, paid professional, gay uncle Joe) asks you to choose between paint colors and you say "the white one" and they groan and say "eggshell or buttercup?" and really all you care about is that it's not puke colored.
The post that garnered the pedantry also implied that there's no reason to go with lowering springs other than cost considerations, which is simply not true. Like coilovers, not all lowering springs are the same. And I'm not sure we're on the same page here, strat, but a silly statement requires a silly response.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #23
strat61caster
-

Quote:
The post that garnered the pedantry also implied that there's no reason to go with lowering springs other than cost considerations, which is simply not true. Like coilovers, not all lowering springs are the same. And I'm not sure we're on the same page here, strat, but a silly statement requires a silly response.
All a matter of perspectives and opinions.

Assuming intent makes an ass out of you and me.

We are on the same page, we just take different paths to get the point across.

toe-may-toe
toe-mah-toe
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
jawn (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #24
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
I want to go an inch lower but I already scrape when going up the entrance to parking lot at work.

Should check how the midpipe is holding up...
I don't scrape any more frequently than I did when I was stock... which is to say I still scrape with a fair amount of frequency. Mostly on the underside of the front bumper, or the skid plate (and both of which are there to take a certain amount of abuse).
Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #25
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I also want lower, but im scare with the midpipe too. I want go lower more than half inch and less than one inch
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #26
2013GTRNate

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemccall_75 View Post
Hey guys I am about to lower my BRZ. I've never lowered a car before so this is all new to me.
I am doing research and I need some opinions and advice on whether or not I would be fine with just purchasing a set of lowering springs or should I spend the extra money and purchase an entire coilover set?
(Note: I don't want to slam it but lower it maybe an inch if that. I just want to get rid of the gap between the fender and tire.)
As of right now I just joy ride but track days will be in the future. If you could help guide me that would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance, Lane.
I am Turbo'd making just shy of 400hp and I am on stock suspension. I did switch to larger wheels (18x9.5 +38 265/35/18) the ride quality is amazing my BRZ handles like a dream. Lowering the car is more of a personal taste thing than a performance enhancement. Improve wheels and tires for a real change. ***Save the suspension upgrades for a set of COILOVERs, a professional shop to counter balance the car and truly dial in suspension.*** The reality is 99% of people with all of these suspension upgrades will never see a race track, so whats the point?

My BRZ's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #27
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've got my ST coils set at almost max height. I'd say it's perfect for thrashing around and not scrapping at all. The ride is super comfortable, much more than I expected.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454642800.600102.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  348.5 KB
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #28
Dembo

Drives: 2012 Grey GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
It was an opinion not a statement of fact. But what are the reasons for going for lowering springs other than cost? Are you saying that the OE dampers are the best that money can buy even when paired with springs they weren't designed for and operating lower than they were designed for?

The question was whether to buy coilovers. If you're buying a coilover clearly you're replacing the stock coilover so it's irrelevant that the stock coilover is a coilover.
Dembo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers or springs, lowering, lowering springs, shocks