follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New OFT, unable to read ECU

Hi,

looking for some assistance. Received a new OFT as a gift, purchased from FT86speedfactory. I'm currently unable to read the ECU.

Background data:

- car was purchased brand new, 120 miles on the clock
- no other tuning has been performed by me
- '14 BRZ Limited
- radio is off, AC is off, radar detector is disconnected, lights are off, doors are closed

1. Connected OFT to laptop, OpenFlash Manager ran updates for several minutes.

2. Connected the OFT to the car, set car to ON (push start button twice, engine off), OFT says ECU is in recovery mode.

3. Disconnected and reconnected ODB cable, in case there was a bad connection. Repeated step 2, same result.

4. Tried to read the ECU info, nothing came back.

5. Disconnected OFT, turned car on, no issues. Turn car off.

6. Reconnected OFT, tried to read again, same issue.

7. Tried to read trouble codes, "operation failed".

8. Turned car on, tried to read live data, "operation failed".

9. Searched the forums for a similar issue, didn't help.

10. Went back to the car, disconnected and reconnected ODB cable, tried again. Same results.

I've read instructions and recommendations on the forum, don't think I'm missing something. Any ideas?
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
possible bad obd connection, see if oft will do diagnostics or access ecu info on another 86 car, dont do read ecu or write ecu just diagnostics or read info.

make sure cable is plugged into oft at oft end.

some cars have suspect obd ports, will something like a blutooth obd adapter work in obd port or obd scanner, i think it port unless oft is stuffed
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good to hear the car still starts. I know you said you double-checked your OBD2 connection but is there any visual evidence of a bent or dislocated pin in either the cable or the connector on the car? A mirror might be helpful in looking at the car-side port.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
peaches

Adding some details in case someone finds this thread later on, and has the same issue.

Shiv suggested to disconnect the battery to force the ECU to reset, that did the trick. I was able to read and write the tune.

Something else that was weird is that before I wrote the tune on the car, OpenFlash Manager wasn't able to show me the tunes on the tablet. It kept showing me the initial screen where it looks for the device and showed over 1000% or progress made... after that the program was unresponsive. After I wrote the tune, it showed everything fine.

When the tablet generated the tunes, I didn't know if the stage 1 it showed me was for 91 oct or 93 oct. I was able to replace the generated tunes though, I use 93 in Ohio. Would like to try the E85 tune, but it's not readily accessible at the tracks I go to, and I don't want to carry a full tank worth of E around or deal with switching back and forth.

Something else I'm waiting a response on, does Windows 10 need the Windows 8 patch?
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (11-23-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
possible bad obd connection, see if oft will do diagnostics or access ecu info on another 86 car, dont do read ecu or write ecu just diagnostics or read info.

make sure cable is plugged into oft at oft end.

some cars have suspect obd ports, will something like a blutooth obd adapter work in obd port or obd scanner, i think it port unless oft is stuffed
I have heard some cars have faulty ports, especially the first ones. Never used the port until today, we'll see what happens from now on. It seems the ECU was in a strange state, I went to the dealer on saturday so I don't know if they did something.

My idle was dropping too much when I coasted to a stop and had the AC on, I asked the dealer to check the ECU version but they said it had the latest, no updates were done according to their report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
Good to hear the car still starts. I know you said you double-checked your OBD2 connection but is there any visual evidence of a bent or dislocated pin in either the cable or the connector on the car? A mirror might be helpful in looking at the car-side port.
Didn't check to see if any of the pins was bent, will do that if I continue to have issues.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post

Something else I'm waiting a response on, does Windows 10 need the Windows 8 patch?

When I updated my old laptop from Win7 to Win10, no patch was needed.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
choiboie

Drives: 2013 Fr-S UltraMarine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
man i just ran into this problem.. i did the battery reset and still no read or write
choiboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
dutchdabomb

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Similar Problem

I have a similar problem with my 2013 BRZ Limited manual. I got the OFT on April 2 and auto-updated it with OpenFlash Manager on Windows 10. I then plugged it in and went to Tuning > Toyota > GT86 > [ZN6] 2000 D4-S 200 HP FA20 > Read. At the prompt to key on and confirm, I did so and pressed OK. These screens then flash rapidly:

Communicating with ECU
Please wait...

Preparing to Read
Please wait...

An error occurred
while reading data from ECU
Please try again.

I've also done the process with the engine already running, but with the same result. Here's a video of two attempts of that:

https://vid.me/if6h

Overall, I'd tried it about 6-10 times with the same error each time. This thread recommended disconnecting the battery, so I tried that (both poles) but still get the same result despite multiple tries. I also checked the pins on both ends of the provided ODB-II cable as well as the OBD-II port on the car and they all look straight to me.

One thing that does work is the Diagnostics screen. I'm able to see real-time statistics (e.g. RPM, throttle percentage) as the car runs.

Any ideas on how I can get the OFT to read the ECU so I can proceed with the tune?

PS: The car is stock so I'm looking to do the off-the-shelf (OTS) stage 1 tune for 91 octane (California).
dutchdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
choiboie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchdabomb View Post
I have a similar problem with my 2013 BRZ Limited manual. I got the OFT on April 2 and auto-updated it with OpenFlash Manager on Windows 10. I then plugged it in and went to Tuning > Toyota > GT86 > [ZN6] 2000 D4-S 200 HP FA20 > Read. At the prompt to key on and confirm, I did so and pressed OK. These screens then flash rapidly:

Communicating with ECU
Please wait...

Preparing to Read
Please wait...

An error occurred
Please try again.

I've also done the process with the engine already running, but with the same result. Here's a video of two attempts of that:

Overall, I'd tried it about 6-10 times with the same error each time. This thread recommended disconnecting the battery, so I tried that (both poles) but still get the same result despite multiple tries. I also checked the pins on both ends of the provided ODB-II cable as well as the OBD-II port on the car and they all look straight to me.

One thing that does work is the Diagnostics screen. I'm able to see real-time statistics (e.g. RPM, throttle percentage) as the car runs.

Any ideas on how I can get the OFT to read the ECU so I can proceed with the tune?

PS: The car is stock so I'm looking to do the off-the-shelf (OTS) stage 1 tune for 91 octane (California).
I'm taking my car into the dealer this week..for oil change. But told them my idle is acting funky so they'll check the ecu

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchdabomb View Post

Communicating with ECU
Please wait...

Preparing to Read
Please wait...

An error occurred
Please try again.

Never have engine running while trying to read or write ecu tunes/rom.

you need ignition full on (not just accessory) with engine NOT running.

ie two pushes of start button (or key full on) dont press clutch or in auto leave in park so engine does not start

only diagnostic mode can have engine running

Tips to help you avoid Bricking your ECU
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2489551
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #11
dutchdabomb

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Never have engine running while trying to read or write ecu tunes/rom.

you need ignition full on (not just accessory) with engine NOT running.

ie two pushes of start button (or key full on) dont press clutch or in auto leave in park so engine does not start

only diagnostic mode can have engine running

Tips to help you avoid Bricking your ECU
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2489551
Thank you for the tip. This did the trick! I was interpreting "key on" to mean "turn the engine on" instead of just the ignition. Once I pressed the start button twice (with the clutch out) it was able to read and write the tune.

Thanks again!
dutchdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dutchdabomb For This Useful Post:
steve99 (04-04-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #12
choiboie

Garage
So after dealer visit and stopping by autozone it's definitely not the obd2 port..they were able to read ecu an look for codes..which ending up clean with no cel.so im assuming I need a new cable or tablet 😂

Old 04-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #13
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,140 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choiboie View Post
So after dealer visit and stopping by autozone it's definitely not the obd2 port..they were able to read ecu an look for codes..which ending up clean with no cel.so im assuming I need a new cable or tablet 😂

that sucks
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NyC Zn6 For This Useful Post:
choiboie (04-07-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
choiboie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
that sucks
Culprit was the cable. Should have the new unit and cable by tomorrow!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to choiboie For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (04-19-2016)