follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
flashburn

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Warning to anyone having a car shipped using Accelerated Services

So about a month ago I had my car shipped using Accelerated Services. I made a few mistakes, so I'm hoping others can learn from them.

I had decided that I'd rather not have the dealer wash my car before hand because I didn't want to have to do paint correction as soon as I take delivery of a new car. My car arrived in the pitch dark at around 8:30PM (they were about 12 hours late). Because of the fact that it sat in and went through some horrible weather, and because I asked for no wash, it was extremely filthy, so I could only do so much to look over the car before signing for delivery. The next morning, as I started washing the car, I noticed couple giant gobs of grey paint (around 1/2" maybe) on a few spots of the car. I tried just wiping it off at first, before I realized it was paint. I did my best to clean the car, and as I did, I started noticing that every single panel of the car had drops of paint all over it. Most of them were extremely small specks, but occasionally there would be bigger spots. Literally hundreds of specks. So I finished washing the car, pulled it in the garage, and figured I'd start working on removing them.

On top of this, I also noticed fine scratches on almost every panel of the car as well! After I found both of these discoveries I contacted the salesman to inform him of the issues. The salesman told me that the scratches are "normal" for a new car they receive, and that if they washed it, they would of seen it and polished... gee it would of been great if he told me that BEFORE hand. Whatever, I've never seen that when buying a new car before. He told me to contact Accelerated Services right away, which I then did (and had to leave a message). So anyway, I went on with trying to clean up my car.

First thing I tried was a mild polish + porter cable. This unfortunately did absolutely nothing to the paint specks. Next I bumped it up to using Goo-Gone, which was working, but was taking a bit too much elbow grease, as it would've taken me days to remove it all. Finally acetone-free nail polish remover did the job. I was in a race against time however, as later that day I had an appointment to have a clear bra installed. In total I spent about 3 hours working on just the front of the car (basically where I was having the clear bra installed).

So my clear bra guy gets here, I tell him about the issue, and he brings in his super bright lights and we start looking, and of course there are spots I missed. So he pulls out this cleaning solution for cars to remove gunk, and it worked like a dream. He spends an hour or so cleaning it, and unfortunately after putting the clear bra on, he starts noticing some really small spots that are now noticeable after being magnified by the clear bra. Unfortunately at this point, it's too late, you can't remove it and re-install, you'd have to get new film.

So finally a day or two goes by, and I'm able to speak with someone at Accelerated about this issue. I give them basically the entire story above, and sent them a bunch of pictures. At this point, I told them, I just wanted to be compensated for the cost of the clear bra being redone (~$700). They told me they would start their investigation and get back to me.

* Funny Side Story *
So when I'm talking to their claims guy, he asks if the driver who brought the car to Georgia to hand off to the guys who delivered it to me can give me a call, because he lives near by and wanted to take a look. Against my better judgement I agreed to this. So I get a call about 30 minutes later from the driver, and the first thing he does (literally, the first sentence) was tell me how this is his first week (or maybe month) on the job, and that they will make him pay for any damages that occurred. He was hoping I lived closer to him, so he could come over to my house and "use some polishing compound" on my car to remove it. Luckily, he actually lived 4-5 hours away, so that wasn't going to happen. I sat on the phone nicely with him for 30 minutes while he kept apologizing and saying how careful he was with the car to make sure nothing happened to it. The whole thing was just so awkward.
* End of Side Story *

Finally a week goes by, and I get an email from their claims manager, who tells me that it was the clear bra installers responsibility to make sure that the surface of the car was clean before installing and that the car wasn't prepped properly. They said they would give me a $150 "goodwill" check but offered no apologies or admittance to any responsibility. My argument of course is that it shouldn't be expected that a new car has paint specks all over it and it wasn't simply a matter of a car that needed to be washed better. They basically told me "tough luck" and the $150 "good will" was all they could offer me. I begrudgingly accepted it, because at this point, I just wanted to move on from this frustration.

So I'm hoping if anyone took the time to read this ridiculously long story, they got from it the following things:
1. If you're getting a car shipped, you might be better off having it washed first. Hard to say how much of the filth was there before it left on the truck.
2. When you accept a car, make sure it's in the day time where you can METICULOUSLY go over the entire car before signing for it.
3. If you go with Accelerated Services, be prepared for them not to take responsibility for anything that happens to your car, especially if you don't notice it until after you sign for it.

Anyway, that was my fun "new car" experience. Luckily the buying process couldn't of been easier, but I think for me, this might be my last time buying a car and having to deal with it getting shipped in.

Last edited by flashburn; 01-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
flashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flashburn For This Useful Post:
Formula Vee (03-02-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
When they said that new cars come "scratched"... unfortunately, yes that's true for some...

My first FRS had some blemishes on the bumper, a small bubble if you will, and a chip.

As I waited for the sales person to drive down another FRS, I found a black one with all the plastics still on it except the quarter panel, I noticed there were some HEAVY scratches to the car. It JUST got off the truck.

What usually happens to these cars is that they try to correct the paint, and it that doesn't work, it gets sent to a body shop for a full repaint.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
flashburn

That's pretty ridiculous. It's amazing how poor the paint quality is with every car manufacturer nowadays. Luckily I was able to buff out the majority of them, there are some left on the upper part of the hood that wasn't clear bra'd that I still need to work on a bit more, but I think they should come out.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
My motto: Never ship a car unless you are doing it yourself.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
vhx1

Drives: 06 AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had a positive experience with the same shipping company and purchased from the same dealer. I guess this is the risk that is taken when having a car shipped cross country to you.
vhx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
flashburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhx1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had a positive experience with the same shipping company and purchased from the same dealer. I guess this is the risk that is taken when having a car shipped cross country to you.
Luck of the draw. I'm sure most people don't have any issues. The problem is if you do, be prepared to have a company that is not fun to deal with and ultimately doesn't take responsibility for what they should have.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If you're gonna ship spend the extra money and go with a reputable company that does enclosed transport. I had mine shipped from MA to CO by Intercity Lines and had no issues whatsoever. I do recommend having the car cleaned right before transport though, since they drape a few layers of covering materials over the cars while they're being transported. As the driver was telling me, if the cars are covered in dirt then the covers shifting / rubbing during transit can cause swirls.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
flashburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
If you're gonna ship spend the extra money and go with a reputable company that does enclosed transport. I had mine shipped from MA to CO by Intercity Lines and had no issues whatsoever. I do recommend having the car cleaned right before transport though, since they drape a few layers of covering materials over the cars while they're being transported. As the driver was telling me, if the cars are covered in dirt then the covers shifting / rubbing during transit can cause swirls.
Do you mean that an enclosed transport ships with covering materials as well? Accelerated Services unenclosed transport does not cover the car. If they did, I definitely would of had them wash the car before hand.

Enclosed transport is double the price from what I've been told from others after the fact.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I went to go take a look at a couple FRS at the local dealerships and noticed that all of them had swirl marks on them. Pretty ugly and yes it does happen to newer cars.. unfortunately both parties have no proof of what happened but at least they gave you some reimbursement for something that can happen to ANY shipping company.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Do you mean that an enclosed transport ships with covering materials as well? Accelerated Services unenclosed transport does not cover the car. If they did, I definitely would of had them wash the car before hand.

Enclosed transport is double the price from what I've been told from others after the fact.
Yeah, my car was draped in soft cloth and then that was covered with a plastic sheet (inside the enclosed transport).

Enclosed costs more but so does having to have the car detailed / have films replaced. IDK I read a few horror stories on here of budget, unenclosed shipping companies damaging cars, so paying another $500 or whatever it was for enclosed made sense to me. I looked around on Rennlist to see what companies people were using and found a lot of people had good things to say about Intercity. I just didn't want to have to worry about dealing with damage on a brand new car.

Not that it really matters in the end anyway... unless you're an utter Nazi about who does what to your paint you're gonna get swirls. If swirls are what you're trying to avoid, good luck. I just didn't want shit plastered all over the car / parts of the underbody damaged etc (some unenclosed company put tie-down hooks into somewhere they shouldn't have and literally ripped bits of metal apart on the bottom of one poor forum member's car last year... looked kind of horrifying).
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
Silverpike
popular among the JDM

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When Accelerated Services dropped off my BRZ, I had to sign a form saying I received and inspected it for issues. Did you do this? Your had your chance to inspect the car. If it were me, I would not have signed for it unless I saw it in broad daylight and the car was clean.
Silverpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Audi's ship in car covers ^_^
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #13
flashburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpike View Post
When Accelerated Services dropped off my BRZ, I had to sign a form saying I received and inspected it for issues. Did you do this? Your had your chance to inspect the car. If it were me, I would not have signed for it unless I saw it in broad daylight and the car was clean.
I don't blame you for not reading my entire post (or even the end), but yeah, I already talked about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to flashburn For This Useful Post:
Formula Vee (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
Formula Vee
Lando.Ricciardo.Hamilton.

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had my BRZ shipped from Colorado in early February by Accelerated. A few days after taking ownership I ended up with a flat tire. Removing the wheel/tire (winter set from Tirerack arrived that evening, thankfully) revealed a ring of abrasion/wear around the entire inner side of the tire, along with a 1" tear along that wear line. Brought the issue to the dealer, who reached out to Accelerated. They asked for a quote to replace the tire, but then decided to deny my claim based on their 48-hour claim window and the fact that I signed the Bill of Lading. Keep in mind that I received the keys in a Walmart parking lot, in NJ, in the dead of winter, and the car was filthy dirty. I would have also needed to remove the wheels from the car to see the damage.

Now I have to replace the tire with my own money come Spring. I would imagine most people will not have any issues with Accelerated's transport, but if you do they will probably screw you over.
Formula Vee is offline   Reply With Quote